Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
View?u=1263961&a=9351385&p=37320990
<p />I would like to do some beef jerky and after seeing all your great contraptions I`m wondering If I should wait and make one up or give it a shot with my own grate.....This grate fits in place of the original BGE grate.........in youy opinions will this grate work or is it a waste of time......I`m gonna try GFW`s jerky recipe for my first attempt......
(how many times did I say grate in this post).....LOL..
...p.s, thanks to you folks for helping me with posting pics...
Roger

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    20001221041718_small.jpg
    <p />Roger, the grate should work great - check out the link - I have always done jerky indirect - the setup in the picture sits on the main BGE grid - the bottom of the 2 levels is about level with the opening. In fact, the one thing that I don't like about my 2 level grid is that an occasional piece falls through - consider making a jerky grid similiar to the one in the picture using your material - should be about EGGsellant. Even using one level sitting on firebricks '|__|' should do a great job. Good luck![p]BTW - check out new marinate at the bottom of the page - in today's version I substituted Szechwan for Hoisen.

[ul][li]2 Level Grid[/ul]
  • Gfw, thanks,.....ok, so for today could I put my weaved grate on firebricks that are on their sides with a drip pan?
    Do you think that would work?....

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Roger,[p] Hard to tell from the picture, but is the grate painted? Could be a bit problematic . . .
  • Gfw
    Options
    Roger, I did it that way for almost a year - 4 bricks, 2 flat and 2 upright - drip pan in between the uprights - dome tem at about 180-190 degrees.

• MikeO, No, it has been sand blasted, it started as "new" steel....has never been coated with anything....
    I should really "season" it maybe...put it in the egg with oil and let it sit for a few hours...what do you think?
    roger

• Gfw,thanks, you answered LOTS with that post....
    Roger...
    We are heading out to the flea market in a few minutes and I`m going to pick up a round tip roast to start with and see if i can get the guy to slice it "with" grain 3/8" thick...
    Roger....

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Roger,[p]IMHO I think 3/8" is too thick. You may want to cut to 1/8" instead. [p]Good luck Roger.[p]MickeyT.

• Gfw
    Options
    Roger, I've tried venison, round and sirloin - based on my experience, there is nothing that works as well as brisket sliced with the grain - just have to remove the fat cap first.

• Gfw, Brikets are not that readily available here.
    Not that they can`t be had it`s just they are not on the shelves like everything else...
    What about Flank.....I can get that by the skid full..
    Have you tried that/
    Not much fat and would be easy to "jerky" shaped slices...
    Just wondering/////
    Roger![p]

• Gfw
    Options
    Roger, I have used flank and it worked great - the difference is that around here flank goes for about $6/lb and brisket is about $2.50/lb.

• Gfw,
    I'd like to try doing some jerky.I'll probably go with the single grid settup for starters,and use one of the marinates off of your web page.I was wondering what kind of wood chips or chunks you use.Thanks,
    Rob

• Gfw
    Options
    Rob Rhodes, I typically use Jack Daniels Oak Chips. After lighting the lump, I spread an even layer of chips over the coal, drop on the main grid, two flat firebricks (and 2 upright before my 2 layer grid) and a drip pan - and put on the jerky - I close most of the openings and let the temp gradually rise to the 180 mark - the chips only last about an hour, but it adds a nice flavor and in the beginning at the low temps, the meat seems to absorb the smoke.[p]My BGE has been sitting at the 180 mark since about 6:30 this am - I've turned it twice and it is looking good! [p]Good Luck :~}

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Roger,[p] Oh, then it should be fine. Seasoning it couldn't hurt. All it would take is an hour or so at about 400F (like cast iron). Would probably help it last longer . . .[p]MikeO
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Roger,
    What a GRRR...ATE, grate. Where did you get a piece of metal like that? Got to have one. Please E-Mail me. mckennon@tir.com. Thanks