Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So... what did you do with your Weber Gasser

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    As above, mine did not owe me anything.  Gave it to a family that was looking for a gasser to replace their el'cheapo that had rusted out.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I still have my gasser and the kids use it for hot dogs or brats etc. I plan to use the side burner for lighting as chimney full of lump. 

I passed my Weber kettle on to a friend of my son's. He has already smoked a beef roast on it using some of my rub recipe that I gave him. 

The gasser won't go anywhere but still working out how much and how to use it in my overall back yard cooking strategy. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I cook steaks and fajitas on my Genesis, it's not going anywhere.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Never had a Weber gasser. Had a really expensive Napoleon till it started my house on fire. Got three eggs for the insurance claim.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Never had a Weber gasser. Had a really expensive Napoleon till it started my house on fire. Got three eggs for the insurance claim.
    Wow, that's one mischievous gas grill you had. Well, i'm glad you are OK after it's attack. Was it intentional on it's part or was it just carelessness?

I know, it's no kidding matter. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    In my many years of existence....I have never had one.....and never will.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Mine just sits in the storage shed. Haven't used it since I bought the egg 4 years ago. 
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    What is this weber you speak of?  Did I some how manage to get back on the spider-man forum?
    Image result for spiderman meme
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Gave it away.
    Would you still give it away, give it away, give it away now?
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I use mine as much as I use my egg... Maybe more

it does burgers better IMO

I grill up chicken breast for work lunches once a week as well.

its quick and easy

while I love my egg , sometimes it's a pain in the ass to get going for a weeknight dinner with two boys under six.

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I have a Weber Genesis and use it for quick grilling or when I have too much on my large BGE. I plan on keeping it around.
    Stillwater, MN
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Never had Weber gasser, but after I became an egghead I kicked this Ducane's sorry butt to the curb!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    RRP said:
    Never had Weber gasser, but after I became an egghead I kicked this Ducane's sorry butt to the curb!

Ron, I had a similar model myself, mine was a three burner. They didn't used to give those Ducane grills away either. 
  • Possumtrot
    Options
    Ducane was the classic lifetime warranty - their lifetime, not the lifetime of the grill.  Had one for a long time until stand rusted and couldn't get parts. After Ducane got Weber Genesis. Over time, replaced usual burners/flavor bars, ignitors.  Noticed rusted pieces about a year ago.  Called Weber, got necessary parts (Weber was fantastic in helping with cost, they even insisted on giving me a few items at no cost).  Went to replace some items and found that the frame had rusted almost through in several spots.  Sent everything back and got refund.  Did I say Weber customer service was great?  The grill is now in some other device that uses metal somewhere (I recycled it).  Bought mine around the same time as @The_Stache and his is still in good shape - guess he cooks greasier stuff and that preserves it better.

Have had Large Egg around 18 - 20 yrs and KJ Jr. for a year and a half.   Haven't missed the gasser except for storage purposes.  Sure frees up space on the deck.  Being of the older persuasion and thus experiencing a compression of time left on this side of the grass, spending time cooking, eating, drinking and socializing is more important than having to fix things.

Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    I use mine as much as I use my egg... Maybe more

it does burgers better IMO

I grill up chicken breast for work lunches once a week as well.

its quick and easy

while I love my egg , sometimes it's a pain in the ass to get going for a weeknight dinner with two boys under six.

+1 to all of this.  Perhaps when the kid is out of school and I've retired I can move to an egg only lifestyle, but until then I need the convenience and speed.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ducane Grills were manufactured in South  Carolina. Toured the the plant one time. Was right cool expierence. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I use it to cook vegetables, rotisserie chicken, and wings when my medium egg, KJ classic, and Weber grill don't have enough space.  To my mind, vegetables are better cooked on a gas grill than an egg.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Ducane Grills were manufactured in South  Carolina. Toured the the plant one time. Was right cool expierence. 
    I forget the price, but I know I was hesitant and continued to look at other brands. In the end I bit the bullet based on their quality vs others and the thought that it had an ironclad warranty. Oh well my Ducane was grabbed by some scavenger before the disposal truck arrived that day so maybe it still exists somewhere or is part of the beer can I just finished! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I used to have a Kenmore gasser, years ago. A gift from my parents. One of those that used lava rocks instead of flavorizor bars. Was quite happy with it. When it died, I looked for a lava rock replacement, but there were none so I bought a cheapo from K-Mart. First cook, burgers. Worst burgers I ever had, Returned it the next day, full tank and all. Bought a kettle and haven't used a gasser since.

My brother has a Weber gasser though, flavorizor bars and all. Has had it for years and I have never had a less than outstanding meal from it. He grilled some delicious ribeyes on Thanksgiving eve. I would like to find a good used weber and replace the flavorizor bars with lava rocks. Just to see if the rocks make a difference. Years ago, I didn't know you could do that, but apparently you can. 

Frankly, I'm getting tired of messing with charcoal. Been doing it for 30 years or so and it's getting old. Food tastes better, but it's still a pita.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Landing space for plate setter and hot grids. Occasionally hide bootleg craft beer in colder months  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    RRP said:
    I forget the price, but I know I was hesitant and continued to look at other brands. In the end I bit the bullet based on their quality vs others and the thought that it had an ironclad warranty. Oh well my Ducane was grabbed by some scavenger before the disposal truck arrived that day so maybe it still exists somewhere or is part of the beer can I just finished! 
    Well, at least you took a nice picture of it on the curb.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Gave it away.
    What I got, I got to give it your mama.  You cook a little food and take a drink a little water. (The gasser, that is...)

For @YukonRon, it more is like.. She said give it away, I can't give it away. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Gave it away.
    What I got, I got to give it your mama.  You cook a little food and take a drink a little water. (The gasser, that is...)

For @YukonRon, it more is like.. She said give it away, I can't give it away. 

Channeling some Rodeo George. Digging it dude. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Gave it to my nephew, hope he never get's an Egg or he will think I don't like him. All I ever cooked before the Egg was burgers, hotdogs and steak. Chicken was always tough and dry. Now that I cook to temp life is sooooo much better.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I used to have a Kenmore gasser, years ago. A gift from my parents. One of those that used lava rocks instead of flavorizor bars. Was quite happy with it. When it died, I looked for a lava rock replacement, but there were none so I bought a cheapo from K-Mart. First cook, burgers. Worst burgers I ever had, Returned it the next day, full tank and all. Bought a kettle and haven't used a gasser since.

My brother has a Weber gasser though, flavorizor bars and all. Has had it for years and I have never had a less than outstanding meal from it. He grilled some delicious ribeyes on Thanksgiving eve. I would like to find a good used weber and replace the flavorizor bars with lava rocks. Just to see if the rocks make a difference. Years ago, I didn't know you could do that, but apparently you can. 

Frankly, I'm getting tired of messing with charcoal. Been doing it for 30 years or so and it's getting old. Food tastes better, but it's still a pita.
    Seems like you need....a kick ash basket! lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• CanadianAnvil
    Options
    We have a gas BBQ. 
    My wife wanted it for her birthday this past may. We've had the xl egg for 5 or 6 yrs now and there was a time in the middle that we didn't have a gasser aswell. With 3 kids under 5 my wife uses it one or two times a week for fast burgers, chicken, chops and what not through the week. We use the egg one or two nights a week but it seems to only be weekends and what not while I'm home. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I kept it for about 4 years and didn't use once. So wheeled it out to the curb and someone came by and grabbed it. Hopefully it's getting some use. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I grew up helping my Dad to cook on a Weber kettle (or whatever the thing was that looked just like a Weber kettle in the mid-70's). As soon as I got my own place I bought a Weber Smokey Joe. Then I moved up to a kettle for about 15 years before I bought my Large BGE. I've never owned a gasser, and I doubt that I ever will. Lighting the charcoal is one of the best parts of the bbq experience for me, so if I don't have time I just cook inside. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Wow, that's one mischievous gas grill you had. Well, i'm glad you are OK after it's attack. Was it intentional on it's part or was it just carelessness?

It was my own stupidity. I had gotten in the habit of leaving my lump under the side burner of the "unused" gasser, One day I needed some hot water whilst doing spring cleanup outside. Not wanting to track mud in the house I decided to light the side burner and boil the water outside. Apparently some kind of insect had gotten in the venturi and made a home in there. It combusted and fell into the partially closed bag of lump and after about three hours the bag started to burn and fell over on the gas supply hose.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pgprescott
    Options

It was my own stupidity. I had gotten in the habit of leaving my lump under the side burner of the "unused" gasser, One day I needed some hot water whilst doing spring cleanup outside. Not wanting to track mud in the house I decided to light the side burner and boil the water outside. Apparently some kind of insect had gotten in the venturi and made a home in there. It combusted and fell into the partially closed bag of lump and after about three hours the bag started to burn and fell over on the gas supply hose.
    Ooof. That is bad luck. Things are things, but as long as no one was lost.