Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Your favorite guitar solos...

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
I was sitting in back yard egging some cheekin thighs and Freebird came on. 

Got me me thinking bout my favorite guitar solos. 

Rossington on Freebird is right at top of mine, along with Slash on Sweet child of mine...and for you blues guys, how about BB King on the thrill is gone?

What say you?
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Easy...Gilmour wailing away on Comfortably Numb. Nothing else even comes close, especially the live version on PULSE.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Every one of Jimmy Page's and Jimi's Star Spangled Banner.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Eddie's Eruption is my alarm clock. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Oh, and Rossington is OK, but Allen Collins is who rocked Freebird. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50SrPB5xcNQ

• jabam
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I'm with you in Jimmy Page especially Whole lotta love
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Stevie Ray Vaughan pic a solo...any solo
    OK...I pick "The Sky is Crying."
  • jabam
    Options
    Stevie Ray Vaughan pic a solo...any solo
    OK...I pick "The Sky is Crying."
    Texas flood is pretty good too!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I'm in agreement.

However, I'm old enough to remember when Hendrix's version of the Star Spangled Banner was considered disrespectful, blasphemous, and anti-American by the conservatives of the day. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I started to type a list, then realized it couldn't be done.  Too many for me to mention.  I will leave this here, as it did make my list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz7bYpKdGhA

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Robert Fripp is a guitar genius. He plays the solo in Eno's song Baby's on Fire and it is absolutely mind-melting. I have lots of favourite guitar solos, and this has been top of my list for as long as I can remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nItuhuY1U04
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    I'll chime in agreement with Jimmy Page...  Stairway to Heaven's guitar solo, not to be cliche, is an all time classic.  The dude who played it during Heart's performance at the Kennedy Honors a couple of years ago nailed it very respectfully.  Worth a YouTube look.  I was just checking it out last night.  So, it's fresh on my mind.  
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Yep, start making a list and you get pulled into the matrix.  So many greats out there.  I grew up loving Led Zeppelin, Free Bird, Working Man by Rush, then discovered Stevie Ray Vaugh, Eric Clapton, Prince, and the list goes on.   Great music out there!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    As soon as I read the tread title I automatically thought "Freebird". 
    There are so many great guitarists, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, Jack White...on and on...but Freebird was my first thought.
    Not sure if there are many Metallica fans on here but Kirk Hammett is pretty awesome too;)
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • wbradking
    Options
    @Botch. Love Over Gold....I know it well!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    LOVE Mark Knopfler!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • jabam
    Options
    Botch said:
    Telegraph Road, Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits.

Few, perhaps none of you have ever heard this.  The album was called Love Over Gold, and the five songs on it were all too long to play on the radio, and it was mostly ignored (Telegraph Road is around 15 minutes long by itself).  The solo is broken into two parts, both build slowly, climax, then come back down, as in the best classical music pieces, and tears me up every time.  The song itself, and the arrangement, are also so good I consider it the best rock song ever recorded (the second/last song on Side 1 of the LP is also a fantastic Audiophile stereo show-off piece, by the way).  
    I got to see Mark play this, I was about in the tenth row, a high point in my life, definitely.  
    I have heard it and you are correct. Dire Straits is under appreciated in my view. I can listen to them all night. 
  • jabam
    Options
    I also have to give props to Billy Gibbons, he is the heart and soul of ZZ Top. His solo on Sharp Dressed Man is awesome!
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Funny you bring this up. I will be 10 rows back watching and listening to Joe Bonamassa one week from today. First time we saw him in concert we were 10 rows from the top. Still had great sounds but not the impact as being up front! The guy can truly make a guitar come alive! Electric and acoustic. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Options
    travelling riverside blues doesn't suck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1JAhFAQigY

EDIT: and before the pansy comes along to tell me there's no solo proper, i'd offer the entire frigging thing is a solo, which just happens to have a drummer and a bassist and lead singer following after. but at 2:14 begins a bit of stand-alone

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    bgebrent said:
    I'm in agreement.

However, I'm old enough to remember when Hendrix's version of the Star Spangled Banner was considered disrespectful, blasphemous, and anti-American by the conservatives of the day. :)
    You sir are correct.  I'm a modern conservative and a guitarist.  Wait, that sounds weird.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     So many great guitar solos and riffs over the years. But one has stood out for me since first hearing it. It has no hectic nor frenetic pace. May not dazzle anyone with it's speed. But to me music is not about showing off and playing as loud and fast nor complex as humanly possible. The worst offender to me of doing so is Eddie Van Halen. Every song he has to show off his speed. Like a HS battle of the bands showdown is taking place. It gets tiring to me. I like music to live. To breathe. And this Clapton classic is timeless and absolutely haunting. From the solos to the riff it just works for me. This later live version is especially well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx3EQQQ6yjM

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien
    Randy Rhodes - Crazy Train
    Jacksonville FL
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    All hail the king!  /thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUvxRjYqjEQ

Steve 

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • Grillinois
    Options
    I can't hear freebird without a mental replay of Kingsman and the guy going nuts fighting all the people in the church. 
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    I can't hear freebird without a mental replay of Kingsman and the guy going nuts fighting all the people in the church. 
    Great movie and great scene!
    Steve