Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Center Cut Lump Charcoal

Options

Comments

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Mini was low on lump. I had to add 2.0 ounces (yes it was weighed). Temp was 500* in five minutes and no smoke. That's 3 cooks on this lump using just a tad over 7 ounces of lump!

• Mikee
    Options
    Added a 2.3 ounces for tonight's cook. Temp was at 350* in five minutes and 400* in seven minutes. I will have to give the mini a quick cleaning.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Mikee said:

Mini was low on lump. I had to add 2.0 ounces (yes it was weighed). Temp was 500* in five minutes and no smoke. That's 3 cooks on this lump using just a tad over 7 ounces of lump!

Mikee said:
    Added a 2.3 ounces for tonight's cook. Temp was at 350* in five minutes and 400* in seven minutes. I will have to give the mini a quick cleaning.

Mikee said:

I needed lump. Haven't purchased lump since last November. I decided to try the Char-Broil lump that comes in a box. It was on sale for under $11. I put 2 boxes in the cart then decided that 1 box is all I needed to see if it lived up to all that fancy writing on the box.  Got home and decided to do a NY Strip on the Mini. Used a Weber fire starter to get in going. In 5 minutes the thermometer was at 500* with just a couple of small handfuls of lump. While I only grabbed lump from the top, it was nice size pieces. It was: light, easy starting, no sparks, little to no smoke, and burned hot. For a fast cook nothing I used in the past compares to it.  

Mikee said:

That is aRockwood does not compare to this. I tried Rockwood; not bad just not a great value. The Char-Broil is a couple of steps above Rockwood. Tonight was my second cook. I did not need any new lump; plenty of lump left from last night. Fired up the existing lump and was at 300* in 5-6 minutes and no smoke. At 11-12 minutes I was at 530*. Closed the vents to back down the temperature as I was just cooking sausage. My guess is tomorrow night I will need to add a 1/4 pound of lump, if that, to cook another meal. Granted, I'm just cooking on Mini. The lump glows red hot on each and every piece. The reason they ship it in a heavy duty cardboard box is because of its high carbon content. If shipped in a conventional way like Rockwood and others, it would be nothing but small pieces.
    Just curious if you you are changining you lighting methods? You have posted 350°,500°&300° all in 5 mins of firing the mini up. You've also stated the best way to light this lump is with a Weber starter cube. If those are anything like the Rutlands they are still flaming after 5 mins. Just curious if I should invest in this premium lump. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mikee
    Options

I tried to give temps based on times; yes they varied and some were better than others. The Weber fire starters are much different than the Rutlands. I used the Rutlands before and was very pleased with them. The Weber's are about a 3/4" cube. They light faster and hotter than the Rutland. I just found that Tractor Supply sells the Rutland for $1.99 per 24 pack. I'll be going back to that brand of fire starter. the Weber's are $3.99 for 24.

I have a small egg and a mini. When starting the small I use a chimney starter. I would place some chunks of lump on the fire grate, place the chimney stove on top of that. It works great. Now that I got the mini, the small is used to store some of the accessories. Rather than removing items from the small to fire up a chimney starter, I use a fire starter for the mini. A chimney starter would have the Char-Broil lump glowing red hot in 1/2 the time. I use my egg(s) all the time. It's quicker for me to use a fire starter for the mini.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Mikee said:
    YukonRon said:
    Rockwood.
    That is all.

Rockwood does not compare to this. I tried Rockwood; not bad just not a great value. The Char-Broil is a couple of steps above Rockwood. Tonight was my second cook. I did not need any new lump; plenty of lump left from last night. Fired up the existing lump and was at 300* in 5-6 minutes and no smoke. At 11-12 minutes I was at 530*. Closed the vents to back down the temperature as I was just cooking sausage. My guess is tomorrow night I will need to add a 1/4 pound of lump, if that, to cook another meal. Granted, I am just cooking on Mini. The lump glows red hot on each and every piece. The reason they ship it in a heavy duty cardboard box is because of its high carbon content. If shipped in a conventional way like Rockwood and others, it would be nothing but small pieces.

Unless you have purchased it, you only have an opinion that is worthless.

Well, as it turns out, my opinion is not worthless. I would not purchase anything with a Russian origin, knowingly. As with others, for various reasons, there are principles at play, and supporting even a small part of the Russian economy, is something I choose not to do, if I can help it.
    As a veteran, Not only do I have a weighted opinion, I also have a choice. 
    I will shoulder with @lousubcap on this one. 
    You have a free choice, you should use it. 
    Do not be pious towards me. While not your friend, and not likely to be, a bit of courtesy can go a long way. That is not an opinion.
    I hope I never have to see the person, that would make the unfortunate decision to try and climb your ego, then fall down to your IQ.
    It would not be pretty. That, too, is not a worthless opinion, comrade.
    Welcome to the forum.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Mikee said:
    YukonRon said:
    Rockwood.
    That is all.

Rockwood does not compare to this. I tried Rockwood; not bad just not a great value. The Char-Broil is a couple of steps above Rockwood. Tonight was my second cook. I did not need any new lump; plenty of lump left from last night. Fired up the existing lump and was at 300* in 5-6 minutes and no smoke. At 11-12 minutes I was at 530*. Closed the vents to back down the temperature as I was just cooking sausage. My guess is tomorrow night I will need to add a 1/4 pound of lump, if that, to cook another meal. Granted, I am just cooking on Mini. The lump glows red hot on each and every piece. The reason they ship it in a heavy duty cardboard box is because of its high carbon content. If shipped in a conventional way like Rockwood and others, it would be nothing but small pieces.

Well, as it turns out, my opinion is not worthless. I would not purchase anything with a Russian origin, knowingly. As with others, for various reasons, there are principles at play, and supporting even a small part of the Russian economy, is something I choose not to do, if I can help it...

Don't buy anything or ride in an aircraft that contains titanium then. The US has to import about 80% of the titanium it uses each year. About half of that amount comes from Russia. Boeing gets about 40% of the titanium it uses each year from Russia.

Kinda ironic that a US fighter jet that might be used to attack a Russian asset is flying only because some percentage of the titanium in it came from Russia.

It's a small world - shows why we all should learn to get along.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    YukonRon said:
    Mikee said:
    YukonRon said:
    Rockwood.
    That is all.

Well, as it turns out, my opinion is not worthless. I would not purchase anything with a Russian origin, knowingly. As with others, for various reasons, there are principles at play, and supporting even a small part of the Russian economy, is something I choose not to do, if I can help it...

Don't buy anything or ride in an aircraft that contains titanium then. The US has to import about 80% of the titanium it uses each year. About half of that amount comes from Russia. Boeing gets about 40% of the titanium it uses each year from Russia.

Kinda ironic that a US fighter jet that might be used to attack a Russian asset is flying only because some percentage of the titanium in it came from Russia.

It's a small world - shows why we all should learn to get along.
    My company uses tons of TiO2. Very familiar with the supply, sources and origin of Ti. We source ours from other locations. 

Not likely to purchase a plane anytime soon, I have a couple of BGEs, and that keeps me broke.

As odd as this may appear, it is about those things I purchase and use on a regular basis, of which I have a choice.

My ass in a narrow seat of a 737, 3-4 times per year will have 0 impact on the Russian economy.

Thank you, kindly, for sharing your insight on global aerospace commodity metals. It is a good point, of which, you have made.

Peace.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Mikee said:

Well unless this lump is made from Harry Potter's wand, you aren't cooking much food, and they are fast cooks. Charcoal releases about 12kcal of heat per  burned gram. Put into terms that are easier to relate to, 1oz of charcoal puts out about 1,440 BTU. Your 3 cooks using 7oz averages out to about 3,360 BTUs per cook, assuming that all the charcoal was burned, which it wasn't. My stovetop gas elements kick out 18,000 BTU, and a portable Weber LP BBQ kicks out about 12,000 BTU per hour. With heat up and cool down and the amount of lump left unburned, you are probably averaging 2,000 - 2,500 BTU per cook. That's testimony to the efficiency of the mini and to your cooking skills. Your experience would be like doing the total of all 3 cooks on a portable Weber LP grill in 35-45 minutes (including warm-up). 
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    I'm glad a few others found this lump.  I suspect my source (Lowes) no longer stocks the product.  The price dropped from ~22 to ~11.  I picked up around 11 or 12 boxes as did another friend of mine. 

The char broil lump cooks better, smokes less, and is more consistent than royal oak, cow patties, and titanium :)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    How this thread feels...

• YukonRon
    Options
    How this thread feels...

I look like Pauly.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    caliking said:
    FarmerTom said:
    Jstroke said:
    I don't care if they put lump in a lathe and spun it so it was identical size length and shape. They can put any label on it they want call it organic and Gluten Free. For that price I'll make my own out of dried cow chips. 

@stlcharcoal --now that my friend is a beautiful idea. Cow chip charcoal. 

My father was in India for much of WWII.  He said the kids would follow the cows around and scoop up their crap as soon as it hit the ground,  run home and plaster it on the side of their dwelling to latter be used for cooking/heating fire after it had dried.  Wonder about the smoke profile?  Hey stlcharcoal,  Jstroke may be on to a new product for you.  Might even make the greenies happy turning all that terrible waste product into fuel.
    Still a common practice in rural India. Its essentially free, once you've fed the cow/buffalo!

I believe this was previously posted as a Cowboy lump user !!!
    Bobby Jindal?
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    Mikee said:

Well unless this lump is made from Harry Potter's wand, you aren't cooking much food, and they are fast cooks. Charcoal releases about 12kcal of heat per  burned gram. Put into terms that are easier to relate to, 1oz of charcoal puts out about 1,440 BTU. Your 3 cooks using 7oz averages out to about 3,360 BTUs per cook, assuming that all the charcoal was burned, which it wasn't. My stovetop gas elements kick out 18,000 BTU, and a portable Weber LP BBQ kicks out about 12,000 BTU per hour. With heat up and cool down and the amount of lump left unburned, you are probably averaging 2,000 - 2,500 BTU per cook. That's testimony to the efficiency of the mini and to your cooking skills. Your experience would be like doing the total of all 3 cooks on a portable Weber LP grill in 35-45 minutes (including warm-up). 
    I can't speak for any other brands, but our lump is around 12000 BTU per pound at 85% carbon.

The popular briquette brands were 7500-8000 just for reference.......limestone doesn't burn.  :(
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    so after seeing this thread I went to my local Lowe's today and picked up 2 of the remaining 3 boxes they had. Was a little disappointed they were $11 instead of $9 but after reading the pretty good things about it, I figured I would give it a shot. Now I just need to use up the half a box of Black Diamond and Half a bag of Rockwood lol!
    LBGE circa 2016
  • Mikee
    Options

SkySaw said:
    I cooked steaks twice. That takes 2-3 minutes after getting the egg  up to 500-600* in just several minutes. Sausage was cooked at a lower temp and the vents were closed up. I doubt the egg was 'running' for 35-45 minutes.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    So the mini ran a total of 51mins plus warm up of 5mins each (66mins total)between 3 cooks and you had to add lump?   

My mini will cook 3 meals for two without needing to add lump but it will be almost empty after cook #3.   Cooks will be 1 night of steaks and 2  of chicken.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Mikee
    Options

@Mattman My mini ran 35-45 minutes including the start up, not the 66 minutes you think. I could cook a week or more if I loaded up the fire box. That makes your 3 days pretty wimpy. Just cooked again. Added 2 .4 ounces of lump. Average lump burn for short cooks is well under of 3 ounces.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mikee
    Somewhere above in this thread you mentioned the Rutland starters. In the spring and summer, Tractor Supply puts them on sale big time. You can buy a gross of them (144) for less than 5 bucks. It's the best deal that I have ever seen on the Rutland starters.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    You are the lump master just like the pizza sauce king.  Egg on for the next 18months on your 2 boxes of center cut. Peace!!

analyze adapt overcome

• Mikee
    Options

@SGH, I did find that Tractor Supply sells the Rutland fire starters for $1.99  for the 24 count. I used them in the past and they were great. If you see them at 5 bucks for the 144 count, let me know. The Egg dealer I got my first Egg from sold me a couple of the 24 count boxes. I like the chimney starter but for the mini, I like a fire starter.  

• Mikee
    Options
    You are the lump master just like the pizza sauce king.  Egg on for the next 18months on your 2 boxes of center cut. Peace!!

Hey, I tell it like I see it. I don't respond to pizza threads. A box of this lump will last about 2 months on fast cooks.  Low and slows will burn much more as the lump has to burn much longer. In fact I am looking forward to see how well it does on a long, slow cook.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Lowes has it on clearance today for 11 bucks a box.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I just got done with my first box and frankly I don't see what the big deal is with this stuff.  It doesn't light any quicker or seem to last longer.  It is a "neutral" smoke in that it doesn't add flavor to the food.  I'm glad I got it for $9 a box.  No way would I buy it for $22!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I tried it - I liked how quick I got to good smoke.  I also like how easy the boxes are to stack - thinking of making a larger buy.

One thing for sure, I'm done with Royal Oak.  There are just too many better options.  Now what do I do with the 17 bags of RO I have left...

Phoenix 
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    @Mikee @SGH

The home depot by me sells the rutland 144 count for 4.99. I can send you a box if wanted. Let me know
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Lowes has it on clearance today for 11 bucks a box.
    My Lowe's has had it on sale for $10.99 for a couple months. Sale price good thru the end of January 2017. They still list having 21 boxes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    why would you care enough about usage to weight your added lump?? So many variables to the end result it's kind of... pointless ?
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    I have been using center cut from Lowe's for the last couple of months. It lights up quickly and in about 7 min you are ready to cook without any smoke smell/flavor.  Negative is that you can't reach above 500-525 F. Great for fast cooks. Does not hold well for long and slow cooks. Did pulled pork today--had to add BGE charcoal after 3.5 hours in minimax as all center cut was used up burning at 250F!
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• Mikee
    Options
    Brason said:
    @Mikee @SGH

The home depot by me sells the rutland 144 count for 4.99. I can send you a box if wanted. Let me know

That's a great price and thanks for the offer but I respectfully decline. If fire-starters are the way you ignite your lump, get yourself a couple of boxes. That price will not last forever.
  • Mikee
    Options
    I have been using center cut from Lowe's for the last couple of months. It lights up quickly and in about 7 min you are ready to cook without any smoke smell/flavor.  Negative is that you can't reach above 500-525 F. Great for fast cooks. Does not hold well for long and slow cooks. Did pulled pork today--had to add BGE charcoal after 3.5 hours in minimax as all center cut was used up burning at 250F!

I have hit well over 650*. I easily get more than 3.5 hours of cook time. This lump is very light in weight. While it has roughly the same or more BTU's per pound, this lump is lighter than others. The Egg is restricted to volume and not weight. The lighter the lump the less BTU's  of lump can be dumped into the Egg.