Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinion on purchasing a used egg

Gene
Gene Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought I would ask what your opinion on purchasing a demo or used egg is. Any problems to look for or avoid to be sure it is not wasted money. Thanks

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Gene,
    No mechanical difficulties hiding. You can inspect for all flaws. I bought a used one and sold later on. Be up front and honest.
    Mike

• JohnF
    JohnF Posts: 31
    Gene,[p]Interested in seeing the responses here. I am looking to buy a large at the Fest in Pennsylvania in September. Gotta believe they are good deals. Used just one day and they become yours.?[p]
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Gene,
    I went to Florida to purchase/participate in the eggfest knowing I would bring one home that had been used. After using the hell out of it for many many cooks, unless it is cracked and has pieces hanging off of it I wouldn't worry about it. You can't really hurt one unless you fry a gasket, and that is cheap to replace, or you could drop it on concrete and break it, well then you might have a problem, but who would do that on purpose? A demo is a good deal.

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Gene,[p]Don't be afraid of a demo egg from an eggfest. That is one of the best ways to get an egg. Just because an egg has been cooked on doesn't mean it is going to wear out any sooner. [p]YB recommended to me that I wait and buy an egg at Eggtoberfest 2 1/2 years ago but I couldn't wait and had gift certificates to our local Hearth and Home to get my large egg. That was May. By October I was buying a small at the Eggtoberfest. And no one else used it at the Eggtoberfest. I got there in the morning. Cooked on it all day and brought it home at the end of the day.[p]John
  • Gene, as long as you can examine it beforehand I would not have a problem with buying a used one. The main thing I would look for is cracks in the Egg itself. It is my understanding that the lifetime warranty is only good for the original owner, but even if that is true, it can be outweighed by getting a good price on a used one.
  • Gene
    I also saw an advertisement in the Atlanta paper for refurbished eggs sold at the company store at a discount

• Gene
    Thanks to everyone who replied.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Gene,[p]Bought my LG new, and I am looking forward to buying my MD used at Eggtoberfest. [p]My gf is also getting in on the action with a used mini.[p]Now all we have to do is come up with a menu and test fly it in an "away from home" situation. Guess I'll need to bring my extended grid from home, purchase a MD placesetter onsite, etc.[p]BIg T

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Gene,
    One last thought- If you cook on it at Eggtoberfest you are essentially the original owner...[p]

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Big T,
    I purrchased 2 large Eggs at the Waldorf Egg Fest.No problem at all.They have backed up the warrnty without any questions asked.Had a firebox replaced n/c.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    I recenlty purchased a large BGE off ebay for $400....it was approximately 10 years old...and barely used....seemed like a really good deal...and it was....But I did replace the rickety table with a nest with side tables....replaced the grate...replaced the old-style hinges and a few other items.....And by the time I updated it.....I could have bought a new Egg...or at least a barely used DEMO......[p]After the updates the egg I purchased on e-bay is as good as new....and money well-spent....But I could have purchased a brand new one or a DEMO for just a few bucks more....and brand new or nearly new is always better in my book....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• If you buy it from a private party, I'm pretty sure the warranty is void. You might want to price a fire box and ring if buying from a private party. They most likely will crack. Both mine are cracked and will be replaced next time I make it to the factory store.

I purchased a used mini and medium at the factory store and they come with the warranty. I saved a bunch of money too.

Cheers,
    Jeff
  • My wife find a large with cart at Salvation Army about a year ago. It looked old and had extensive use. I replaced the grid, thermometer, bottom slide vent, gasket, tightened the bolts on the cart and sanded then weather sealed the cart. It works great. Steal of the year at $119!!
  • Gene,
    If you end up purchasing a used large and need an egg nest (cart), egg mate (side tables) and green vinyl cover, send me an email. I just built a cedar cart/worktable and don't need the above parts any longer so am willing to deal![p]Ken Baker

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 59
    Ken Baker,[p]I am interested in the egg mate and cover. Send me an email at rjm727@yahoo.com.[p]Thanks,[p]Ray
  • I'd be interested in the cover if it's not already sold. email me at dgriswold5@cox.net. Thanks

I bought my large egg used about 2 months ago - no problems. I look at it as already seasoned for me! Saved a bundle and love the egg! B) Dickson