Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max fire ring change?

Options

I read on a website that BGE changed their fire ring back in 2015. Anyone know why they did this? Im at work now, but I think I have the old style ring based on this pic. from the felt line to the fire ring, it appears to be about .75"

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Looks like I have the original.  Does anyone know why the factory made this change?
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    edited December 2016
    Options
    They changed the height of the fire ring.  Don't remember if they raised or lowered it.  Not much different in performance.  Think it fits better too.

@Lit has a picture comparision somewhere.

Originally they used a fire ring from a small, but changed it to a dedicated MM ring.  If I had to guess, it was due to schedule.  They struggled to get them out the door in the beginning.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Interesting 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    The deeper one allows more lump, the shallower one allows closer to coals and slightly taller foods.

Take your pick :)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I wonder if BGE will swap me out for the new and improved version?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I wonder if BGE will swap me out for the new and improved version?
    If it breaks they will send a new one.  You can buy it for like $45.

Not worth the hassle, unless your current ring doesn't work for some reason.  Although, if you order a Woo it becomes a bit trickier, plan for now or plan for the future.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2016
    Options

Not worth the hassle, unless your current ring doesn't work for some reason.  Although, if you order a Woo it becomes a bit trickier, plan for now or plan for the future.

Ain't that a ****!  So I'm screwed is what I'm hearing!  Prepaid for mine almost a year before they even hit the sales floor so mine has the original design.  Now my fire ring is broken in several spots.  I don't need to hear I can still use it.  I already know that from my large.  I own CGS original designed WOO...fact is that was the only WOO then.  In fact I ordered mine right after they became available after @Mickey beta tested the prototype(s).  So when BGE gets me the replacement my WOO (that NEVER leaves my MM) isn't going to fit??? @tjv
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Ain't that a ****!  So I'm screwed is what I'm hearing!  Prepaid for mine almost a year before they even hit the sales floor so mine has the original design.  Now my fire ring is broken in several spots.  I don't need to hear I can still use it.  I already know that from my large.  I own CGS original designed WOO...fact is that was the only WOO then.  In fact I ordered mine right after they became available after @Mickey beta tested the prototype(s).  So when BGE gets me the replacement my WOO (that NEVER leaves my MM) isn't going to fit??? @tjv
    They have both I think. If it was a small to begin with, surely they do. Ask before you panic. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @pgprescott  No worries. Not panicking.  Let me be more direct.  Is the original sized fire ring still being cast or is the new fire ring the only one that will be sent out as warranty replacement?  If that is the case can the original sized WOO be alerted to fit without a hitch?  @tjv Thanks in advance Tom.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @pgprescott  No worries. Not panicking.  Let me be more direct.  Is the original sized fire ring still being cast or is the new fire ring the only one that will be sent out as warranty replacement?  If that is the case can the original sized WOO be alerted to fit without a hitch?  @tjv Thanks in advance Tom.
    The original fire ring is from a small (I believe).  As long as they make smalls it should be available.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL  the 075 woo is not the best fit for the new minimax fre ring.  it works but you need to be careful.  You would need to send the woo back to us for alteration to fit the new fire ring.

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @tjv Thanks Tom.
     I thought about it & if worse comes to worse I'll give @HuddleHouseCook my WOO since he also has the original fire ring and I'd just order the modified WOO (total pkg with handles,stone & pan) if I ended up receiving the new style fire ring as warranty.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I also have the original fire ring. Any idea if the plate setter will work with that woo?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I also have the original fire ring. Any idea if the plate setter will work with that woo?

The fit is horrible and does not make for easy in and out placement. I've taken a dremmel to my PS to make the fit easier.
    Seattle, WA
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    Kamado Joe Jr.  
    VA Beach
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Thanks @SkinnyV, I was thinking about getting the woo but I've been unsure as to whether or not the PS would fit or not. Not sure I want to deal with the hassle or purchase more stones. Thanks again. 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited December 2016
    Options
     I got a hold of the mothership late last week and told them the issue I had with my new minimax and how I believe it had the older first generation internal parts.
     So after sending them an email with pictures of my set up they responded back saying yes I do have a first generation internals and they will go ahead and replace it for me.

Well today this freaking outrageously huge box shows up at my doorstep.  I'm thinking oh my god they sent me a brand-new minimax.  Sorry not the case I was getting excited too LOL..
     Anyways they sent me a brand-new firebox and also a new fire ring..  The firebox appears to be exactly the same dimensions as the one that I have.  The fire ring however is considerably shorter than the one I currently have.  One thing being the gentleman spoke about last week was the plate setter and if I remember him telling me,  they changed  The design to the plate setter but they did not send me one. 
     Do I need to call them back or am I  missing something here?
    oh yea,  they also sent me the upgraded handle assembly as well.
  • danguba78
    Options
    I received a  MiniMax today for Christmas. In 2017. Purchased new from a dealer near Chicago. It came with the old fire ring you guys discussed changing in 2015. It doesn’t look like it fits particularly well on the firebox.  Is it worth taking this back or contacting HQ about? Is there anything different other than the fire ring? FWIW, I plan to get a Woo, so I’d like to future proof it a bit. 
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    danguba78 said:
    I received a  MiniMax today for Christmas. In 2017. Purchased new from a dealer near Chicago. It came with the old fire ring you guys discussed changing in 2015. It doesn’t look like it fits particularly well on the firebox.  Is it worth taking this back or contacting HQ about? Is there anything different other than the fire ring? FWIW, I plan to get a Woo, so I’d like to future proof it a bit. 
    Yes. Contact HQ for updated hardware on carrier and fire ring. If you bought the old style PS they'll do an even swap for the new style. FWIW I use the PS and WOO with and without the stone. Different cooks get different setups. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    danguba78 said:
    Yes. Contact HQ for updated hardware on carrier and fire ring. If you bought the old style PS they'll do an even swap for the new style. FWIW I use the PS and WOO with and without the stone. Different cooks get different setups. 

I tried that in the UK, they didn't replace it. I even contacted the mothership, but no response. I guess it's regional.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• danguba78
    Options
    danguba78 said:

BGE HQ is taking care of it, sending out replacement carrier handles and the right fire ring.  I am once again impressed with their customer service.  
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    danguba78 said:

I tried that in the UK, they didn't replace it. I even contacted the mothership, but no response. I guess it's regional.
    Higher prices and worse service. That's novel for this country.