Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buyer's Remorse

I have been an admirer of the big green egg for several years. Watching videos and reading discussions , but have never made the leap to buying an Egg for myself.
 I am now in a position where my wife has noticed me cutting my eyes towards the Eggs when walking through a store and hovering near the displays while she is distracted shopping for something else.
My problem is, paying the price. She has threatened,(promised?) that if I don't tell her where to get it and which one I want, she will get one and I will NOT have any options. Sweet of her , and I know that if I let her do it and she doesn't know what all to get , the first time I criticize any part of anything having to do with an Egg, I will be frozen solid in an instant and shipped to the dog house for weeks.
Does anyone in Central Florida know where the best prices are.?
I have priced a Medium Egg at several different locations , with basic stand for 770-840$
No one seems to put them on sale and have seen one place pricing them at 950$ without blinking an eye.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The best price is usually at an Eggfest but I took a quick look and I don't see any in FL listed
    http://biggreenegg.com/eggfests/

This is an egg forum so I don't want to give you advice about competitors, so I won't suggest that you google Kamado Joe Costco Roadshow. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Not clear on where you are - but I do know Roswell Hardware Co in GA is having a massive sale this weekend.

There's always going to be another accessory you "need" with an egg - starter packs are usually the nest, eggmates, plate setter, grid lifter and ash tool. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Just bought a large in Atlanta for 700.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited December 2016
    Skip the nest and any accessories for now. You can get a large around $750-$800. You can find a used nest on Craigslist for around $40
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hello and welcome!

If you have waited this long, wait for an Eggfest in the spring and buy a demo egg. Full warranty, used only once (the day of the fest). Substantial discount. For example, Salado TX had larges with nest for about $750. It's usually in March (http://demoeggs.blogspot.com)

Georgia Mountain (May) is a good one too (though it's in north GA). Also $750, Medium $640. Other sizes too. http://www.mountainegg.com/demo-eggs/

Not sure where all the Florida fests are, but there's a good one in Melbourne every year. Large with nest and platesetter $775. https://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com/demo-eggs.html

All of these are from last year. Don't know about 2017.

Looks like BGE's not real good at keeping the fest list up to date. They only show six, and all have already happened. http://biggreenegg.com/eggfests/

Hope this helps.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I have been an admirer of the big green egg for several years. Watching videos and reading discussions , but have never made the leap to buying an Egg for myself.
     I am now in a position where my wife has noticed me cutting my eyes towards the Eggs when walking through a store and hovering near the displays while she is distracted shopping for something else.
    My problem is, paying the price. She has threatened,(promised?) that if I don't tell her where to get it and which one I want, she will get one and I will NOT have any options. Sweet of her , and I know that if I let her do it and she doesn't know what all to get , the first time I criticize any part of anything having to do with an Egg, I will be frozen solid in an instant and shipped to the dog house for weeks.
    I have priced a Medium Egg at several different locations , with basic stand for 770-840$
    No one seems to put them on sale and have seen one place pricing them at 950$ without blinking an eye.
    Go to Wassi's in Melbourne.  They are the biggest dealer in the area and are a great group of people.  I;m a fan of calling around to several places to discuss pricing, but best guess is Wassi's will beat them all in service AND in pricing.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Are you sure a medium will be big enough?

When I bought my large, a month later I had buyers remorse for not buying an XL. But with some creativity and CGS and stacking grids, I'm glad I ended up with the Large. Might pick up a small/mini one day...
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    RRP said:
    Buyer's remorse kicks in years later when you think back about all the cheap grills you wasted your money on when you should have bit the bullet and bought yourself a BGE which should last you your lifetime. 
    Ron is spot on. My father has been in the retail business for nearly 60 yrs and has told me he never sold a product with greater customer satisfaction. Ever. 
  • I baught a large and many accessories. Wouldn't go any smaller . 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited December 2016
    I doubt anyone here will talk you out of the buy and as above, all here suffered the @RRP remorse of not buying sooner in life. Who's driving the train?
    You definitely don't want to be on the wrong end of the "I told you so" conversation for the rest of your married life.  You can "pay her now or pay her later" but pay you will.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Welcome.  I concur with the recommendations to get a L.  She offered it up.  Go get it!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Buy a large and buy it now. Or let her buy it. 

I have a large, small, and a mini. My beautiful wife bought all of them.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• I think most have covered my thoughts pretty well, but I would not want to have anything smaller than a large unless I also had other cooking vessels, whatever form they may take. I purchased mine at an eggfest and appreciated the discount, but I would have no qualms about paying full price.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Thank you all for the suggestions, will be doing a lot of calling around to price check, and ask about price matching with proof of pricing.
    Our local hardware store, mom and pop shop, stocks them and looked shocked that I was interested in buying one. Think they might price match.
  • We bought our large in August and have used it more than our stove in that period of time. 
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I wouldn't say I have buyers remorse about the egg, more so with this website.....everytime I log in it seems to  cost me money.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• I have been an admirer of the big green egg for several years. Watching videos and reading discussions , but have never made the leap to buying an Egg for myself.
    Millers hardware in Winter Park will match Wassi's and also provide excellent service and have been in business for 75 years.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    One other thing... don't go nuts with accessories. Just because someone on here says you HAVE to have a Maverick (for example) that doesn't mean you have to have one. I have one for that very reason. NEVER use it! For me, a complete waste of money.

Just play with your egg, try different things, figure out how you want to cook - and then decide what accessories to buy. I use very few "store bought" items. Ask questions here. You'll get plenty of opinions, and quickly. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
            I've had buyers remorse on a number of large purchases (mostly guns and trucks), even on items I came to later love. it's an unpleasant emotion - never even had a tinge of it with my XL BGE -  loved the thing from day one. They are just an awesome product if you are into BBQ/smoking/grilling/baking etc. 
  • @PoppasGrill. Where in Florida are you?
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Definitely give Wassis a call, and while you're there be sure to pick up some nice meat for your celebratory first cook.
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    ryantt said:
    I wouldn't say I have buyers remorse about the egg, more so with this website.....everytime I log in it seems to  cost me money.   
    Amen to that! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    edited December 2016
    Don't sweat it.  Find a good dealer.  Worth the extra $$.  The Egg will be a pittance of the cost moving forward.

Seriously, find a good dealer who knows their product and loves the Eggs.

My personal must have items:  Woo, Stone, thermapen, and if in a nest a nest handler.  Handlers are way to expensive for what they are, but I wouldn't have an egg in a nest without one.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I agree with those pushing the Large.  My wife bought me a Medium a number of years ago, and I not only loved it, but I still love it, and it's the Egg I use most frequently.  But... there are just too many times when a Medium just isn't big enough, and a year or two later, she got me a Large.  The combination is perfect for me, but even though I love my Medium and use it more often than my Large, if I only had one Egg it wouldn't be a Medium.  I'd go for the Large.
  • Theophan said:
    I agree with those pushing the Large.  My wife bought me a Medium a number of years ago, and I not only loved it, but I still love it, and it's the Egg I use most frequently.  But... there are just too many times when a Medium just isn't big enough, and a year or two later, she got me a Large.  The combination is perfect for me, but even though I love my Medium and use it more often than my Large, if I only had one Egg it wouldn't be a Medium.  I'd go for the Large.
    Have been looking at the capacities and figuring since it just me and my wife, and my young grand daughter on weekends, a M would be good for us. Also it is able to do enough ribs and chicken to feed my son and his wife on occasion, if we let them hang out with us during our time with the G-baby.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    edited December 2016
    I would go large.   if you ever want to do a big turkey or wanting to try your hand at a full packer brisket or a couple racks of ribs, you will like the large.  Yes there are ways to get all these things on a medium, but why not spend a little extra to make sure you can fit everything on it that you may want to cook?  If you have been eying these eggs for so long you likely want to cook a variety of food.  Yes it will fit chicken legs in for the three of you,  but what about ABTs for an appetizer,  or some bread,  or peach cobbler,  etc. you may have people over and wish you had more space.  I have a L and wish I had gone XL.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI