Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remember now thy hippy, and honor him.

Options
12346»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Focker said:
    @SGH,
    Drop the hammer.
    He doesn't have the balls.  He gave them all away at Brisket Camp.  
    And Carey ate them, then promptly vomited them onto the pavement. 
    I sure wish that one of us could have caught that on video. That was a classic  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    There is not a single country on the planet that I am aware of that has a true "free trade" policy. Every nation tries to work trade agreements to their advantage. The US alone has over 12,000 different tariffs on imported goods and/or import limits designed to protect US businesses. Sugar is the classic example. 

i would prefer tariffs over jumping thru hoops =)  do you know how to get something like that papermill into china. a manufacturer wants one, contacts a chinese buyer who contacts a us manufacturer, the us manufacturer sells to the buyer who marks the price up 250 percent to sell to the chinese manufacturer. the buyer bribes his way getting the product thru china customs paying everyone off at every step. china wants china to make this stuff, they do not like importing. they really just want one way trade and they push it. we seem to be helping them, the us post office "in china" ships to me at cheaper costs than i can have an item shipped from across town. thats our own foot we are cutting off, nothing to do with tariffs duties or anything, just 66 cents to send a box from china to methuen massachusetts using our postal system. theres something truly wrong with this
    As I said, EVERY country plays these games. Whether it's tariffs or jumping thru hoops to meet technical specs EVERY country plays these games. Been that way for millennia.
    exactly, thats why these trade agreements have to be worked out fairly, we are getting screwed right now. think about it, 66 cents to airmail me a box from HONGSHANGQU CHINA using usps. theres 24 lures in the box, how much would it cost me to airmail you 1 lure =)
    "...thats why these trade agreements have to be worked out fairly..."

The problem is that most folks always think that the only definition of "fair" is what works out best for them.

"Fair" is only what compromises each country is willing to give and to accept. There will likely NEVER be a worldwide trade agreement where every country is able to import/export whatever they want sans any tariffs/restriction/impediments/etc. Just ain't gonna happen. 

International postal rates/service is an interesting thing. They're governed by an organization that has existed for well over 100 years. Mailing stuff into the US does appear to work to some other countries advantage. However, part of that reason is due to the low rates that are charged within the US for domestic delivery. I can send a first class letter from Norfolk, Virginia to Point Barrow, Alaska or Hilo, Hawaii for the same cost as sending one to the city 5 miles away from me. Is that "fair"?

if i were in china i could send you your package cheaper to you  using the us postal system and china post than i could sending it from 5 miles away using just the us postal system.  Is that "fair"?  =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    There is not a single country on the planet that I am aware of that has a true "free trade" policy. Every nation tries to work trade agreements to their advantage. The US alone has over 12,000 different tariffs on imported goods and/or import limits designed to protect US businesses. Sugar is the classic example. 

i would prefer tariffs over jumping thru hoops =)  do you know how to get something like that papermill into china. a manufacturer wants one, contacts a chinese buyer who contacts a us manufacturer, the us manufacturer sells to the buyer who marks the price up 250 percent to sell to the chinese manufacturer. the buyer bribes his way getting the product thru china customs paying everyone off at every step. china wants china to make this stuff, they do not like importing. they really just want one way trade and they push it. we seem to be helping them, the us post office "in china" ships to me at cheaper costs than i can have an item shipped from across town. thats our own foot we are cutting off, nothing to do with tariffs duties or anything, just 66 cents to send a box from china to methuen massachusetts using our postal system. theres something truly wrong with this
    As I said, EVERY country plays these games. Whether it's tariffs or jumping thru hoops to meet technical specs EVERY country plays these games. Been that way for millennia.
    exactly, thats why these trade agreements have to be worked out fairly, we are getting screwed right now. think about it, 66 cents to airmail me a box from HONGSHANGQU CHINA using usps. theres 24 lures in the box, how much would it cost me to airmail you 1 lure =)

The problem is that most folks always think that the only definition of "fair" is what works out best for them.

"Fair" is only what compromises each country is willing to give and to accept. There will likely NEVER be a worldwide trade agreement where every country is able to import/export whatever they want sans any tariffs/restriction/impediments/etc. Just ain't gonna happen. 

International postal rates/service is an interesting thing. They're governed by an organization that has existed for well over 100 years. Mailing stuff into the US does appear to work to some other countries advantage. However, part of that reason is due to the low rates that are charged within the US for domestic delivery. I can send a first class letter from Norfolk, Virginia to Point Barrow, Alaska or Hilo, Hawaii for the same cost as sending one to the city 5 miles away from me. Is that "fair"?

if i were in china i could send you your package cheaper to you  using the us postal system and china post than i could sending it from 5 miles away using just the us postal system.  Is that "fair"?  =)

Is it "fair" that it costs me more to fly from ORF to DCA (143 miles) than it does to fly from ORF to LAX (2368 miles)?

Asking for a friend. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    you guys are crazy up there =) the paperwork to build and send a papermill to canada was half the cost to build it, maybe not half but darn close. between the pressure stuff and the electrical pre approvals, post approvals, third party inspections, fourth party inspections, signoffs, fees, etc. thats my last one going to canada ;) i was so close to selling this one to someone else just to make it go away :D
    Ya, we even manage to screw ourselves over. I've boughten a few polaris toys over the past years on the US side (American brand). After going through the import crap, I am forced to have a Federal safety done. This is of course for a few hundred dollars, and completed at a Canadian Tire, not by a mechanic but some random that's "certified" to do so. Polaris is sold all over Canada, and I'm pretty sure they don't make a different machine just for Canada, that im not getting by buying on the US side. There is even Transport Canada approved stamps directly on the chassis. I have pointed this out, but no one would answer me about this. The safety consists of verifying the kill switch and headlights work. 3 weeks later you get an import decal in the mail with the wrong serial# and name usually spelt wrong, but you are then approved to register it. I actually had to pay the same fee and have a safety done on a trailer as well. Believe it or not I can make one in my garage and have it plated as homemade with no safety required, but buy from the US and you need one?? Figure that out
  • fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

Is it "fair" that it costs me more to fly from ORF to DCA (143 miles) than it does to fly from ORF to LAX (2368 miles)?

thats not the same at all. it would be more like flying from china to calif then to your town is cheaper than the same flight from california to your town. ill tell you what, pay for my return ticket from china and ill pay your return ticket from california. seems fair, ill buy you a drink on the flight home =)
    fukahwee maine

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    i had to look more closely at those cheap china deliveries. china post and usps worked out a system where ebayers in the us can have china goods epacketed in china and sent directly thru usps at minimal charges. but it does not go both ways. seem like fair trade to anybody here, why is usps doing this, whos side are they on

Interesting that you brought that up.  I used to sell a lot on ebay.  I would buy all types of different things from wholesale websites and resell on ebay.  I never got rich, made a few hundred a month doing it.  A few years ago my five hottest selling items all of a sudden quit selling.  I did a quick ebay search and you could all of a sudden buy the exact same item from china for literally a fourth of what I was getting.  They were selling for the same price as my shipping cost.  I couldn't believe it so I bought one.  Received it straight from china in about 10 days.  Needless to say I don't sell on ebay anymore.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

thats not the same at all. it would be more like flying from china to calif then to your town is cheaper than the same flight from california to your town. ill tell you what, pay for my return ticket from china and ill pay your return ticket from california. seems fair, ill buy you a drink on the flight home =)
    Your example about the airline flight is spot on. The way airline ticket prices frequently works is that it often is cheaper to buy one ticket for say Beijing>San Francisco>Denver than it is to buy two tickets one for Beijing>San Francisco and then another ticket for San Francisco>Denver.

And that is not unique to flights from China. Same would probably go for Geneva>New York>Denver. 

International air travel is also skewed by protectionist trade measures. For instance, foreign airlines are not allowed to fly domestic US routes for instance.

The point I was trying to make (perhaps poorly) is that distance, per se, is not always a primary factor in the pricing of an item whether it is moving a parcel or a person. Mix subsidized domestic postal rates with a dash of internationally agreed upon postal delivery principles and a splash of a side agreement between the USPS and China Post and you'll not unsurprisingly end up with something that doesn't always seem "fair" to everybody.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bigalsworth
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Here's some news , Carrier the AC company moving to Mexico.... keeping 1k jobs here in USA

Trump 1 ---- Libs 0

1k smiles.... and fellow Americans going to have a little bit better Christmas (can I say that word) ?

Why is this a loss for liberals if the upshot is some folks get to keep their jobs in Indiana?  If the cost for that is that my next air conditioner or F16 costs me a few more bucks, I'm ok with that.  

I am a bit concerned that we've now established an incentive for savvy CEOs to threaten to ship jobs to Mexico, and demand a payment to stay.  I'm not sure this kind of thing is a sustainable economic approach over the long term.
    standing by watching good jobs leave the country isnt much of an economic sustainable plan either.  but then again alot of us govt jobs could be done over seas, how much would we save if for instance the irs was run in india =) other countries have better education, maybe we could put them in-charge of our schools. why do we need these good jobs, why =) carrier is just one company, a statement that needed to be made anyways, seems i cross off good customers off my customer list too much these days as they leave the country or get bought up by overseas firms and get dismantled. this country cant support itself if everyone is flipping burgers =)
    I certainly agree with your last line.  The erosion of the middle class in this country has been a concern for many years, if not decades.  I am skeptical that massive corporate tax cuts are going to dramatically turn that around, but I guess we are going to run the experiment and find out.  
    its not just tax cuts, the trade agreements are not fair. one of my products is a simple pipe manifold, about half go to canada. it attaches to a simple house boiler, 15 psi low pressure,less than whats in your tires, not going to hurt anyone etc. i build high pressure components and engineer these same pieces as they were high pressure, each province in canada wants a detailed package of drawings, engineering etc, i send the package to the proper inspectors, they dont accept them, then they go to 7 different canadian engineering firms, about 2500 dollars per evaluation x 7 (atleast i dont need to do all 10). then i can use the free trade agreement and ship( this process takes 6 months or more. now if a canadian outfit makes these same pieces and sends them to me, they go in a box and ship. so i have this 50 dollar piece of pipe that can not ship until i pony up huge dollars.  this is what we call free trade right now. i chose this one example because its simple and insane, and its just canada. there is no free trade, its rigged :o if this piece went to say france, or a south american country, i would have it built in germany to avoid their pressure directives. 20 years ago their pressure directive was ASME, the european community crap was a ploy to stop us goods from going overseas. this stuff has been going on to our detriment for a while now, it needs to be stopped.

heres the scary pipe, in canada its been reclassified as a fitting to avoid further problems=)

this one was more difficult, its a down scaled paper mill, it makes paper pulp that can be used to make paper, this is old technology, sent one to toronto, about 9 months paperwork for the shipment, one went to argintina, again about 9 months(the usa classified it as a warship in customs where it sat and sat =)  one went to china where they shot it, they took out a gun and literally shot it =)

us customs thought i built this

httpwwwecanadanowcomwp-contentuploads201302starbucks-on-a-warshipjpg
     if you can explain this stuff to me, please do, i live in this tiny weld shop thats more like a cave =)
    This is because of how our pressure equipment is regulated in Canada and has nothing to do with free trade.  Comparing that pipe to a tire is not an apples to apples comparison.  If you connect a positive displacement compressor to that tire and turn it on, that is more apples to apples.  Since you build pressure equipment you must know that sometimes boiler interlocks fail and a boiler then becomes a bomb, no matter what pressure it is at.  The expansion ratio for water to steam is 1:1700, and that is what can hurt someone.  Because your country/state doesn't not require the same process for pressure equipment from us does not mean it is a free trade problem.

Having said all that it is also regulated by each Provincial government thus a bureaucratic nightmare for each and every province, which i'm sure could be more streamlined to cost much less for exporters, but thats government for you.  I imagine you have to get it CSA approved as well?  I don't think it is right that you are required to go through that much of a time consuming and costly process, but as a person who is a boiler operator I like knowing the equipment on my boiler has been properly vetted.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • fishlessman
    edited December 2016
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Here's some news , Carrier the AC company moving to Mexico.... keeping 1k jobs here in USA

Trump 1 ---- Libs 0

1k smiles.... and fellow Americans going to have a little bit better Christmas (can I say that word) ?

Why is this a loss for liberals if the upshot is some folks get to keep their jobs in Indiana?  If the cost for that is that my next air conditioner or F16 costs me a few more bucks, I'm ok with that.  

I am a bit concerned that we've now established an incentive for savvy CEOs to threaten to ship jobs to Mexico, and demand a payment to stay.  I'm not sure this kind of thing is a sustainable economic approach over the long term.
    standing by watching good jobs leave the country isnt much of an economic sustainable plan either.  but then again alot of us govt jobs could be done over seas, how much would we save if for instance the irs was run in india =) other countries have better education, maybe we could put them in-charge of our schools. why do we need these good jobs, why =) carrier is just one company, a statement that needed to be made anyways, seems i cross off good customers off my customer list too much these days as they leave the country or get bought up by overseas firms and get dismantled. this country cant support itself if everyone is flipping burgers =)
    I certainly agree with your last line.  The erosion of the middle class in this country has been a concern for many years, if not decades.  I am skeptical that massive corporate tax cuts are going to dramatically turn that around, but I guess we are going to run the experiment and find out.  
    its not just tax cuts, the trade agreements are not fair. one of my products is a simple pipe manifold, about half go to canada. it attaches to a simple house boiler, 15 psi low pressure,less than whats in your tires, not going to hurt anyone etc. i build high pressure components and engineer these same pieces as they were high pressure, each province in canada wants a detailed package of drawings, engineering etc, i send the package to the proper inspectors, they dont accept them, then they go to 7 different canadian engineering firms, about 2500 dollars per evaluation x 7 (atleast i dont need to do all 10). then i can use the free trade agreement and ship( this process takes 6 months or more. now if a canadian outfit makes these same pieces and sends them to me, they go in a box and ship. so i have this 50 dollar piece of pipe that can not ship until i pony up huge dollars.  this is what we call free trade right now. i chose this one example because its simple and insane, and its just canada. there is no free trade, its rigged :o if this piece went to say france, or a south american country, i would have it built in germany to avoid their pressure directives. 20 years ago their pressure directive was ASME, the european community crap was a ploy to stop us goods from going overseas. this stuff has been going on to our detriment for a while now, it needs to be stopped.

heres the scary pipe, in canada its been reclassified as a fitting to avoid further problems=)

this one was more difficult, its a down scaled paper mill, it makes paper pulp that can be used to make paper, this is old technology, sent one to toronto, about 9 months paperwork for the shipment, one went to argintina, again about 9 months(the usa classified it as a warship in customs where it sat and sat =)  one went to china where they shot it, they took out a gun and literally shot it =)

if you can explain this stuff to me, please do, i live in this tiny weld shop thats more like a cave =)
    This is because of how our pressure equipment is regulated in Canada and has nothing to do with free trade.  Comparing that pipe to a tire is not an apples to apples comparison.  If you connect a positive displacement compressor to that tire and turn it on, that is more apples to apples.  Since you build pressure equipment you must know that sometimes boiler interlocks fail and a boiler then becomes a bomb, no matter what pressure it is at.  The expansion ratio for water to steam is 1:1700, and that is what can hurt someone.  Because your country/state doesn't not require the same process for pressure equipment from us does not mean it is a free trade problem.

Having said all that it is also regulated by each Provincial government thus a bureaucratic nightmare for each and every province, which i'm sure could be more streamlined to cost much less for exporters, but thats government for you.  I imagine you have to get it CSA approved as well?  I don't think it is right that you are required to go through that much of a time consuming and costly process, but as a person who is a boiler operator I like knowing the equipment on my boiler has been properly vetted.
    pretty sure that little pipe that goes on a low pressure house boiler is safer than the rear tire on nolas sport car blowing out at a buck40 changing lanes in traffic =) that other one is much higher in pressure, as a comparison, im a certified individual thru the national board of boiler and pressure vessels to design, manufacture, test, certify, and stamp per ASME, i was grandfathered in but now this year i get tested, the last 10 or so years they let me test myself =) a much easier process for me ;) ive seen a 20,000 psi chamber take down a building so i do know what can happen but thats not going to happen to that piece of pipe ;) i work on boilers too, this is a fully operational steam locomotive, even the brakes are steam operated

fukahwee maine

• bigalsworth
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

Trump 1 ---- Libs 0

pretty sure that little pipe that goes on a low pressure house boiler is safer than the rear tire on nolas sport car blowing out at a buck40 changing lanes in traffic =) that other one is much higher in pressure, as a comparison, im a certified individual thru the national board of boiler and pressure vessels to design, manufacture, test, certify, and stamp per ASME, i was grandfathered in but now this year i get tested, the last 10 or so years they let me test myself =) a much easier process for me ;) ive seen a 20,000 psi chamber take down a building so i do know what can happen but thats not going to happen to that piece of pipe ;) i work on boilers too, this is a fully operational steam locomotive, even the brakes are steam operated

I'm not saying your pipe will, I'm saying it can.  We have a process here in Canada, even stuff manufactured here has to go through engineering processes that you had to go through to export (not to the extent but there is process).  Companies I worked for had to pay engineers to make a simple manifold just for connecting 700kpa nitrogen, they had to have drawings and it had be built to spec.

Everything has a possibility of failing it is just what fails first if the circumstances arise.  I'm sure you are right that that piece of pipe would be last thing to fail bit that doesn't mean processes should be skipped and shortcuts taken.

I was also not commenting on your ability, I'm sure you have done a great many things and I would pat you on the back for them if I could. I cant weld worth a **** let alone pressure weld.

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Acn said:

Acn said:

I can't get this thread of my page so I need to post something

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thy hippy remains uncharacteristicly quiet.  Probably busy replacing all four on the Boxter.  I understand.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga