Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling Nature Boy................................................

Options
MickeyT
MickeyT Posts: 607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=37249587&Sequence=0&res=high
<p />Here is a 4.5 lbs. flat brisket. Should it be 188 after 5.5 hours?
I know there is a plattue (sp) but I thought it was sooner. Gonna do the NB fork test @ 190 to see. Is it possible that my polder isn't set in the middle and it's reading a different temp? "Is it possible that you don't know what your doing Mick". Well heck yeah..............................[p]Mick[p]OBTW................The jerkey is the best yet. Will post pic. Have to try and keep up with GFW......Great shot.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    MickeyT.,
    Thatls pretty quick! No foil?? What dome temps??
    Try repositioning your polder as a first.
    Looks awfully nice!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy, Wasn't this the one that MickeyT was gonna do at higher temps? Would the absence of a cap and point speed up the cook of such a lean piece of chest? Still sounds awfully fast! Would a skip into the 200 range automatically mean a pulled product as opposed to a sliceable chunk o chest, or not necessarily so given the speedy cook times? Or is this unchartered territory for you too?
    I agree, visually, that's one nice lookin flat right now!
    Cheers,
    BBQfan1
    ps-Redskins can wait til 2001, for now Vikes rule!!!!

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=37249582&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />Nature Boy,[p]Okay here's the dilly. I have foil covering the bottom grate with enough room for the heat to disperse. The grate is setting on a split whacked in half. I moved the polder about an hour ago. The temp went from 190 to 180. It stayed there for a while then started to rise again slowly. As I contimplate my issue I said. "Mick. Did you put a drip pan under the brisket with fluid of some sort in it" Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No drip pan. I just put a drip pan down and the temp dropped to 180. (Who ever said cookin a brisket was easy never cooked one) So I am now watching it as I type (x-ray vision). I will keep you guys posted.[p]
    FYI.........The jerky is off the chart. GFW's recipe with a MickeyT. flair. Note the tooth pick holes. This cooked in 4.5 hours @180 [p]Mick

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    MickeyT., Thats some SHWEEEEEEEEET looking jerky!!!!!
    Is it better to "hang" the meat as opposed to laying it on a great?[p]I can`t wait to try it....
    Mop!

• Nature Boy
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Howdy. A few weeks ago, I cooked a brisket where the dome temp got out of hand while I was dreamin' in bed. Woke up, and dome was over 300, and the internal temp was 185. Let it go to 195, but it never passed the fork test, and was pretty chewy. No way was it anywhere near pullable. Definitely blasted right thru the ever-valuable plateau at 300 dome temp. Edible, but when you have had the version with a nice long plateau, there is a huge difference. [p]Lookin forward to Mickey T's assesment. Then he needs to do a lo/slo and compare.
    Vikes kicked butt. Oakland aint playin 'round so far.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    MickeyT.,
    Mick!you done good!!I started to lick the screen to see how its flavored,but remembered that my grandson probably had his feet on the screen last week.I just assume that it taste as good as it looks.How high was the upper rack above lower grill?I was thinking of making one about 6" high,would that give enough dangle room?Most important question--"round or flat toothpicks?":~) Bob

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Hey Mick! I was meanin' to mention that I learned most of everything I know about cooking briskets right here on the forum. There are numerous folks here who can help ya out...so not really necesssary to post a question to one person. Just mentioning this, as it was in my head.[p]Let us know how it turned out.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    MickeyT.,I've been making Jerky for years by hanging it on round toothpicks. We like a traditional jerky so I salt it and let it set for 3 to 4 days or make a marinade with Tender Quick and let it set 4 to 6 days. I can get about 8 LB on the grid that I built. I used Dave Samper's raised grid plan. Takes about 4 hours and it is GRRR...ATE. I used to make jerky on a New Brunfels smoker that I kept just for that purpose, but not any more. With the EGG its like, "Set it and Forget It."[p]