Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pro Tip: If you wanted to serve a 45-day dry aged roast for christmas dinner, it's too late. But...

Options

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Disgusting...... Just pm'd you my address, I will pay shipping !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    One week in temp in water glass 33 
    How's it looking?
    looks good.  nice color.

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Had my first dry aged steaks the other week and was completely floored blown away. 

If I get a hunk of fatty meat and let it sit exposed on a rack in the bottom drawer of our kitchen fridge, can I improve it like those in this thread? Our local supermarket sells dry aged, and I'm quickly becoming a convert. Want to do this ourselves....

and I still have my old dorm fridge in the basement.... (Wrings hands, drooling)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Dry aged my first primal this spring, it was aged 52 days. Cut it up into steaks, and they are very good. 

I also aged another one 30 days this fall, and cut it into roasts and steaks. 

I did them in my main refrigerator. I don't have any use for a second fridge, other than aging, so I did it in the main one. I did do a few extra days to make up the difference from being opened all the time. Most people I talk to think I'm crazy for doing this, until they take a bite of the steak. 

I liked the one aged 45 days better, there was a flavor difference. It is different from anything I had ever had before. The 30 day was a little less subtle, and would be more appealing to a newcomer. I am going to see if I can make the family one for Christmas, not sure off they will go for it or not...

One word of caution when cooking these, is they cook much faster than regular roasts and steaks do. I learned that the hard way....

• Little Steven
    Options
    alright.  it is pretty frikkin simple.

put it on a rack (or two) over a cookie sheet.  rinse.  don't rinse, i don't care.

here it is on the top shelf of my beer fridge (empty of beer and jammed with meat)

top shelf is the rib roast (seven bones).
     not that it is germane to the conversation, but in case anyone asks... next shelf down was pancetta, savory bacon, and sweet/maple bacon.

below that, loin bacon or 'canadian' bacon.  so called because each one is the size of a full-grown canadian dwarf.

here's three or four bones' worth.  no, you don't need to tie it.  i did because 1.) i wasn't sure and 2.) it looked frigging pretty and that's all anyone here cares about

this is the thing ropasted at 225.  no reverse sear, no nuthin.  this is the "put it in the egg and have another glass of scotch until it is done" version rather than the "i'll show you all how great a cook i am and will make a giant production out of this and wear an apron and do a multi step cook just to impress you" version

and just because i can't believe these links still work after however many years... here is the rest of that fridge-meat all cured and packaged for christmas gifts...

and here is a pic of a p!ssed off cat

and the christmas puddin'

and the last photo of the only true friend i ever had.  he died christmas day, only ten years old.

thankfully, i got over him real quick.

Awww c'mon! Where's the candle lit welly one. You know I love that one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options

If I get a hunk of fatty meat and let it sit exposed on a rack in the bottom drawer of our kitchen fridge, can I improve it like those in this thread? Our local supermarket sells dry aged, and I'm quickly becoming a convert. Want to do this ourselves....

i almost think this may be trolling, because it would be literally impossible to have missed ALL the dry aged threads over the years.

short answer: yes.

and don't trim.  trimming is for beginners and the wannabes
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Roast #1,  with a suboptimal fat cap, is coming along nicely in the office fridge. It has a beautiful beefy aroma. I think I'll keep one going constantly there as it does so much to brighten up my day :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    did they trim that fat cap?
    that's the difficult part when you do these smaller hunks.  if you buy right out of the case, they trim them to death.

sometimes you can ask the guy to just give you a three bone roast of the subprimal, no trimming.  where i am, they give you a dollar or so off a pound for buying the whole thing.

not sure how much longer i would go with that one, because i can't tell how dry it is, but it is drying from all sides (exposed flesh i mean).  usually when you do a smaller roast, it's just the exposed ends you have to worry about
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options

i almost think this may be trolling, because it would be literally impossible to have missed ALL the dry aged threads over the years.

short answer: yes.

and don't trim.  trimming is for beginners and the wannabes
    It wasn't trolling. It was an attempt to nicely participate, for the first time, in a dry aging thread that I clearly stated I'd never been involved with. And my specific question was if doing the aging in the DRAWER would work. 

So forget I asked, and I'll forget I clicked on your thread. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nope I didn't trim it. Came that way. This one will probably get eaten in another week, and roast #2 a couple of weeks later. Next time I'll probably buy a bigger roast and do it in the office fridge since it has held stable temps.

@MaskedMarvel - not an expert by any means, but I think it would do better if you pulled the drawer out and let the roast dry in that space. You'll get better air circulation around it I think vs. placing it in the drawer. Or it may not make any difference at all.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It wasn't trolling. It was an attempt to nicely participate, for the first time, in a dry aging thread that I clearly stated I'd never been involved with. And my specific question was if doing the aging in the DRAWER would work. 

So forget I asked, and I'll forget I clicked on your thread. 
    didn't realize you had a hair trigger.  you took it the wrong way, but, well.  shrug.

i asked only because this has been discussed so much, so often, and because i type the same thing so many times, that people are sick of hearing about it.

so.

click, don't click.  i gave you the answer to the question you asked

>And my specific question was if doing the aging in the DRAWER would work.

my specific answer was "yes".  sorry if that was no help, but it is the correct answer.

you do not need copious air flow around these things.  the drawer will be fine.  most drawers receive DIRECT airflow from the freezer side.  the reason there is a drawer is that typically it is the coldest part of the fridge.  meat won't freeze at 32, so the temp can be that or lower, whereas in the fridge it is generally higher
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel echo @caliking - I pulled my bottom drawers and shelf out, see my photo page 2 I think. It got approval from the mentor 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    @MaskedMarvel echo @caliking - I pulled my bottom drawers and shelf out, see my photo page 2 I think. It got approval from the mentor 
    don't have to though.  is it a "meat drawer" or just a drawer?  either way, no need to remove it.  would work in a drawer. just no touching (meat) to any flat surfaces
  • pnciv66
    Options
    Just thought that I would share my first attempt at dry aging. It was done for 28 days in my spare fridge. It's a prime grade ny strip. Going to reverse sear them tonight! I used salt below it for this time just to try, but next I will try without to see the difference.

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    looks great.  can i ask where you heard the "salt" thing?

• Hans61
    Options
    I've seen the salt thing on YouTube 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Makes sense to me. It would absorb some of the moisture in the fridge air.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hans61
    Options
    I think the people I've seen using it are in the business of selling salt
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I don't see it offering any significant advantage.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Options
    2weeks in. Am I okay?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Water was 33.2 degrees
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looking good brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @Hans61 I echo @bgebrent you are looking good!!  Really good. 

If sending formal invites to the meal via US mail, this week would be a good week to send them.  I will be checking the mail closely - be I feel we are close enough now that you can just email the address and time and I am perfectly fine with that.  Save the stamp...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Makes sense to me. It would absorb some of the moisture in the fridge air.
    Makes no sense to me. 

Your fride is fairly dry already. Too dry in fact. Or at least drier than ideal for our purposes.  

Those who do this commercially actually add humidity to the enviro in order to extend aging times without over-drying

seems more like some homespun talisman against against unseen unnamed 'baddies'. 

Waste of salt frankly
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    2weeks in. Am I okay?
    If you can't answer thst yerself, you shouldna be doin this, and haven't been paying attention. ;)
  • Hans61
    Options
    @JustineCaseyFeldown I'm glad you think the roast is aging well   :-)   I wanted to post one pic per week of the process. My want for a little reassurance is due to low confidence first time doing this blah blah blah  

What are the red spots 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Don't know off hand what the spots are. They are spaced the same as ribs are so it is likely part of the structure of the thing. Not saying it is the ribs, just that it is regularly occurring along the length. So appears part of the musculature between ribs.

But I don't recall ever seeing it. Doesn't make it nefarious tho.

Looks like a spot where some membrane over muscle is peeking thru muscle which is left after they broke it down, cut it off the carcass. That little window with membrane may keep the underlying flesh from oxidizing a bit and staying red longer

just spitballing here. SGH has a far better grasp on anatomy. 

remember there's no blood here. Just myoglobin. So it isn't that

• Hans61
    Options
    Don't know off hand what the spots are. They are spaced the same as ribs are sonit is likely part of the structure of the thing. Not saying it is the ribs, just that it is regularly occurring along the length. So appears part of the musculature between ribs.

But I don't recall ever seeing it. Doesn't make it nefarious tho.

Looks like a spot where some membrane over muscle is peeking thru muscle which is left after they broke it down, cut it off the carcass. That little window with membrane may keep the underlying flesh from oxidizing a bit and staying red longer

just spitballing here. SGH has a far better grasp on anatomy. 

remember there's no blood here. Just myoglobin. So it isn't that

The red spots are about where the bones are, so your first idea is probably correct, glad it's no cause for concern 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    It could also be deadly bacteria tunneling into the meat readying itself for a Christmas attack. 

Dunno. 

;)
  • Hans61
    Options
    If I get any green mold I'll have the Christmas colors to confirm your theory...
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf