Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chose a mini over a mini max

Options
Hope I made a good choice for a family of 2 with an occasional 4 person camping trip! 

Now to to wait for Christmas. 

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have both. I think that you made the right choice. Of course that's just one mans opinion.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I have both as well and really like both. But the mini is way more portable. Perfect for 2 people. Get the carrier as well if you haven't already. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I have both as well and really like both. But the mini is way more portable. Perfect for 2 people. Get the carrier as well if you haven't already. 
    Oh it's on the Christmas list 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    @chuckytheegghead what's the best way to get one? Most dealers aren't carrying them 
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    slovelad said:
    @chuckytheegghead what's the best way to get one? Most dealers aren't carrying them 
    Dealers can order it

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Agreed  B)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Congrats on your decision. I found the mini to have a learning curve too. I would recommend that you also make sure to get the CGS Woo for the mini, as well as the stones from amazon. Those are "must-haves" for the little guy.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
     Any egg is a great purchase. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mickey
    Options
    A 9" Lodge,  and a Mini Wok from Ms Chan
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bhedges1987
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I went with exactly what you told me. Minus the wok, was doing some research and going to call her.

The 9" CI griddle fits? I thought 8" was the size for the MIni? I went with the 9" anyways. Can the lid close with the 9"?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My minimal is about to go on craigslist. I am keeping the mini.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I went with exactly what you told me. Minus the wok, was doing some research and going to call her.

The 9" CI griddle fits? I thought 8" was the size for the MM? I went with the 9" anyways. Can the lid close with the 9"?
    Yes. Say hello for me. 

• Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Good call with the mini.  
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I like the max better because of the increased grate square footage.  I also do deadlifts a lot, so I'm prepped to handle the weight difference. In all seriousness, I don't move either much if at all.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Just imagine how long a box of center cut lump is going to last you! 
  • Mickey
    Options
    Get the Mini Wok. So many uses. 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    The Mini was an excellent choice, in my world the MM does not exist.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    Love my mini

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• ThrillSeeker
    Options
    Mickey said:

Is that an 8 inch wok?

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• Mickey
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Mickey said:

Is that an 8 inch wok?

I loaned my Mini to CenTex with toys. But the Mini is missing in action so I can't tell you for sure (lost by me, not CenTex). 
    Just call Ms Chan and ask for the Mini Wok for the Big Green Eggs and say hello from me when you do. Also pay the $5 extra and she will season it before sending. Be sure you have ordered a Mini Woo from Tom to sit it on. 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I am considering a Mini to add to the collection...more portability than the MM and with wok woo option some creative things can be done to cook for morw than 2 at a time....
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Just imagine how long a box of center cut lump is going to last you! 

I got 31 cooks using the mini and the center cut lump. Keep in mind that a box of the premium, organic, center cut lump comes in a 10lb box, not 20lb bags. Using the mini egg and high quality lump is a great way to grill without spending a small fortune.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Now I want a Mini.  I'm going to leave this forum before I go broke.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    I choose a mini over the max, for me it was that it was less weight, so that made it way more portable. We take a mini and a small when we go RVing. Also it is a great size for two people just around home.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    We have a large a small and a mini. The small has enough cooking area for the week night cooks.  The mini is our searing machine.  Large is the party animal.  
     Now that we have jumped into the sous vide world, the mini is getting a real work out..  The plus side of the mini, I can carry it to the car.  
    I have toyed with getting a MM, but i cant see we would gain.  I would rather have another large just for baking. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    I started with a brand new large a few years back, added a mini found in a flea market for a ridiculously cheap price, and added a medium used later. I use the medium the most for only two of us, and haven't used the mini at all for awhile. I did relegate it to searing duty for steaks, and will most likely take it with us when we go to Texas for a period of time this winter. I like having all three, with he large used for big cooks.
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Good purchase and I am sure you will enjoy it for years to come. As @northGAcock mentioned previously, any of the selection of the BGES offered is a great purchase. I have the XL, and MM , soon to add either a mini or medium next. Yes, I have issues.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky