Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaning question for both YETI and RTIC owners

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
First of all let me admit I am either blessed or cursed for having very discerning taste buds. It has gotten to the point I can no longer stand the taste of our tap water nor the ice made from it. My wife has no problem, but I just think it's because she is so accustomed to it. Now I rely on cold bottled water, but when I pour it into our YETIs I get the off taste of our tap water. Soap and water doesn't seem to clean the YETIs and I'm thinking of using something more harsh like Lime-Away. Any ideas for a good cleaning agent that won't hurt the metal, but will clean them?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Ron I give my SS cups an occasional wipe with lemon scented ammonia and either a Brillo or SOS pad. I don't put the ammonia on the rubber gasket that is on the lid. The ammonia will clean the $hit out of the cups with little effort. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Ron, for most any cleaning chores, these are your friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    For brewing purposes there are a couple of options that allow clean and really clean...  First... PBW... It's a powder that is "environmentally friendly" but don't get it on your skin! :-)   The other is a product (liquid) called StarSan (same, keep away from skin). PBW needs to be rinsed while StarSan you can simply "dump out" and let the vessel dry naturally.

These should eliminate any lingering odors or nasty "germs/bacteria" when used.  Will not harm Rubber/Silicon seals but will do a number on Teflon.

All are available on line or through brewing supply stores.

The_Stache!
    Brewmeister and Head Flatulator
    Rancho Loco Brewery and Flatutorium!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    ... hot water a tad of soap every few days ... I don't clean my cup daily at all.

i only drink ice water from it and. Price nothing but maybe I'm crazy.

ive checked the gasket before and nothing clean as a whistle. My sink water does come out extra hot though.
    Seattle, WA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    Dishwasher, no issues.  Pull and clean the gasket every couple of weeks.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Baking soda
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I have wondered the same thing. I drink coffee daily from one of mine and it looks a little rough. I was contemplating pouring straight Clorox in it and letting it sit for an hour or so and then washing it with dish detergent afterwards. I think it would be OK since it is stainless steel.
  • bigbadben
    Options
    I have found stainless steel coffee equipment such as carafes and thermal mugs can only be cleaned with oxyclean.  

The other great cleaner for SS is Barkeepers friend.  

Do not mix barkeepers friend and oxyclean! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    second on going to the local brew supply shop. i dont have this problem though, i rinse off yesterdays cubes with fresh tap water in the cup in the morning and make a new beverage  =) yes, i reuse the ice the next day
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Why don't you go on either Yeti's or Rtic's website or FB page and ask what they recommend, or don't recommend.
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    caliking said:
    Y'all clean your cups??
    someone posted a pic of the built up grunge under the gasket, i made the decision to never look under it that day =)
    fukahwee maine

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    For brewing purposes there are a couple of options that allow clean and really clean...  First... PBW... It's a powder that is "environmentally friendly" but don't get it on your skin! :-)   The other is a product (liquid) called StarSan (same, keep away from skin). PBW needs to be rinsed while StarSan you can simply "dump out" and let the vessel dry naturally.

These should eliminate any lingering odors or nasty "germs/bacteria" when used.  Will not harm Rubber/Silicon seals but will do a number on Teflon.

The_Stache!

I use Oxy Free (free is scentless) or the Walmart brand Sun Free to clean.  It is a lot cheaper.
  • Peytonwat
    Peytonwat Posts: 17
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I had coffee staining in mine at one time that I couldn't get rid of. It made every other beverage taste like coffee and I couldn't use it for anything else. Get the eraser damp then scrub away. Wash it out with soapy water and you should be good to go. No trace of coffee stain or flavor. Hope that helps.

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Peytonwat said:
    I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I had coffee staining in mine at one time that I couldn't get rid of. It made every other beverage taste like coffee and I couldn't use it for anything else. Get the eraser damp then scrub away. Wash it out with soapy water and you should be good to go. No trace of coffee stain or flavor. Hope that helps.

my wife boils water, and adds it in the cup (stainless coffee thermos-type) to a teaspoon or so of dishwasher detergent.

let it sit five or ten minutes and rinses clean
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

Maybe its time to check you water filers?  Or are you importing water from Flint again?

We had an in-ground diesel tank leak up on the farm and it destroyed our water supply for half the farm for years!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options

Maybe its time to check you water filers?  Or are you importing water from Flint again?

We had an in-ground diesel tank leak up on the farm and it destroyed our water supply for half the farm for years!

Where does a guy take samples to be tested? We are on city water. Our refrigerator has a canister filter that has be replaced about every 9 months so I know there is some junk in the water but that water tastes just as bad to me as tap water.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:

Where does a guy take samples to be tested? We are on city water. Our refrigerator has a canister filter that has be replaced about every 9 months so I know there is some junk in the water but that water tastes just as bad to me as tap water.
    have you tried pouring the water into an open pitcher to breath in the fridge so the chlorine gasses off. with city water thats usually my only problem. leave it overnight and taste it in the morning
    fukahwee maine

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    edited November 2016
    Options

The_Stache!

Be careful with these sanitizers. They chemically remove the "stainless" layer of your stainless steel, and you need to let the cup reoxidize before using to keep it from staining. No idea if I'm using the right terminology or how your reoxidize steel to make it stain

@The_Stache I brew, too. Hook me up with one of yours? :)

stainless can can be cleaned, water free, by burning it in a nuclear BGE. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    MaskedMarvel said:...

And which would also likely nuke the thermos-like properties of the tumbler.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    MaskedMarvel said:...

And which would also likely nuke the thermos-like properties of the tumbler.
    Which is why you buy Yeti instead of RTIC. They take it to a higher bar. :)

/me sitsbackandwatchesfireworks
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options

@The_Stache I brew, too. Hook me up with one of yours? :)

Next Eggfest we're at!  Currently have a mild triple IPA 12.5ABV, an aged (18mos) barleywine 15% +, and working on a new recipe for an Imperial Imperial Stout (shooting for 18%)!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Dang, @The_Stache, why don't you brew some manly beer instead of all that weak stuff? ;)
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Dang, @The_Stache, why don't you brew some manly beer instead of all that weak stuff? ;)
    Funnily enough, I'm trying to get the lowest alcohol without sacrificing taste in my batches. Hope to get together and swap beers soon!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I take a tablet of denture cleaner and and put it in a cup and fill with water, soak for two hours. I've gotten 20 year old coffee stains out of my mugs that way 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Oxidized stainless would be rusted stainless

there are protective oxide layers applied  some stainless steels, but even if they are used in these, normal wear and cleaning would be expected to reduce them over time anyway

amazed at the level of thought that rinsing a cup elicits here though. 

But it is a nice change from the partisan foolishness and denigrating comments in other threads 

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Oxidized stainless would be rusted stainless

there are protective oxide layers applied  some stainless steels, but even if they are used in these, normal wear and cleaning would be expected to reduce them over time anyway

amazed at the level of thought that rinsing a cup elicits here though. 

But it is a nice change from the partisan foolishness and denigrating comments in other threads 

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/metalsandalloys/a/aa071201a.htm

Tl;dr - air oxidizes the chromium addition in steel and creates a stainless film over the metal

the more you know  :D
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yeah

so. 

Regular cleaning with the methods the manufacturer somehow avoids removing this?

it's paralysis by analysis 

we literally have people debating the best way to wash a cup

cleaning with 'chemical' isn't removing any magic coating that isn't removed by mechanical means (rubbing, scouring, etc) anyway

wash, rinse, move on

Especially since it self heals

it isn't a coating applied like a plastic lining. It's occuring all the time. Just as it would when you clean with sanitizers and rinse with water
  • SGH
    Options
    we literally have people debating the best way to wash a cup
    Makes one really stop and ponder for a moment doesn't it. It's akin to a hippy fukking a football =)

Status- Standing by.