Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Question

Options
How far in advance do you put your pizza stone in the Egg before starting to cook the pizza.  I had my large around 500 degrees this evening for a pizza but put the stone in as it was coming up to temperature.  Crust was a little burnt before the cheese/toppings were hot.  
I do use the platestetter, the regular grid on top of that then elevate a second grid so the pizza is setting at felt-level.

Thanks.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I put the stone in when I close the dome.  Usually in the egg an hour.  It's your dough.  How'd you make it or was it store bought?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    When I bake on the egg, or oven, I go from startup to baking in about an hour, dialing in my targeted temp, allowing for a long preheat.  
    Stone, piastra, cloche, all goes in cold, and it too, warms up gently.  Have had my Pampered Chef cloche up to 600, no cracks, still going strong. 

Like warming a WFO, I think letting all of the ceramic build up energy, is taking full advantage of the egg's biggest virtues.   

500 isn't that hot for pizza with that setup.  It may be your dough recipe, or too much toppings, or too much of a gap between your barrier and stone, or your dome therm may be off. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Using a dough recipe from the Fleschman Pizza Dough yeast packet.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Was your stone on the grate or platesetter?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dihtn
    Options
    It was on the second grate (platesetter/grate/raised grate/stone).  I was wondering if I put the stone in too early-probably in there for 1 1/2 hours before the pizza went in the Egg.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    That I think should've been the prime spot. I'm befuddled 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You need to put the stone in early.  With that dough you should run around 450 and put minimal toppings on the pie.  The whole point of a pizza stone is to have it at a set temp.  Like a wood fired oven.  The dough is the key.  Flour you use etc...  It is a journey.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Seems like you have too much of a gap between your fire barrier and stone.  The heat will wrap around the platesetter and blast the bottom of your stone.

My preferred setup for pizza on the egg was inverted platesetter, 1" copper Ts, then stone.  You could elevate higher if desired, but I felt this was the sweet spot.  

There is less of a gap using this setup, allowing your platesetter to protect your stone from direct heat.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• BBQbutler
    Options
    https://youtu.be/gCz-anWrCSM

here is how I do it.   

Cornmeal wood peel for assembly.   Metal peel to remove from stone.  Scrape off stone  between pizzas ( you can also wipe with a damp towel to cool it )
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • dihtn
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions!