Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made Honey Baked Ham

Options
13»

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that it's as good as a true Honey Baked......but I am willing to give it a shot.  Especially when you factor in the cost difference.  I've been looking for a reason to test before the holidays.  Thanks for posting!!!!  Much appreciated and subscribed.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Wylecyot
    Options
    NOLA and SGH..You guys are awesome!  I've learned a lot from you two (and many others) while lurking about.  Thanks for all your contributions to the board!

And yes SGH...your method will be the one I try on the next ham.

Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @GATraveller‌
    Brother if you take your time and follow the procedure, the hams are truly spectacular.
    @Wylecyot‌
    Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Wylecyot‌
    Just for the record my friend: I'm more awesome than Nola ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hahaha
    Options
    SGH, would you adopt me please. Oh and my wife to.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH brother Scotty, I'm inviting you over this weekend. BBQ and the Gretna‌ Fest. Greg Allman and Guess Who on Fri, Lynyrd Skynyrd on Sat (also Paul Rogers fron bad Company) plus lots of extra bands. You can crash at my crib.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    I'm there dude!! Count me and the Party Monster in!!

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH - rock on, brother.  Here's the link to the Fest.  It's really close, walking distance.  

Check out the lineup.
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    I'm there brother!! Heavy one Party Monster.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @BearQ‌
    I would love to have you brother Bear. Come on down!!

Status- Standing by.

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Hey SGH, just wanted to thank you again for this recipe.  I cooked it last year and believe I made a mistake by not making sure the whole ham was wet with the brine and I don't think I cooked it long enough.  This year I left it completely wet and did a better job with the brown sugar coating.  Set the MM to 275 and went 3 hours-verified the 135 degree temp before I pulled it.  It is the read deal!! 
  • SGH
    Options
    dihtn said:
    Hey SGH, just wanted to thank you again for this recipe.  
    My pleasure brother. I'm always glad to hear that someone enjoyed something that I shared. 

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I wished I knew about this thread before I cooked my ham on friday. 

Little Rock, AR

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I made a 10lb version of this on T day but I had not seen this post. I followed Malcom from How to BBQ right website and YouTube videos. It was great.
    Seattle, WA
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I made a 10lb version of this on T day but I had not seen this post. I followed Malcom from How to BBQ right website and YouTube videos. It was great.
    Was Malcom's version different than SGH's?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    They are different , his version of the sugar cure is (turbinado, brown, dash cinnamon , dash paprika).... that's what's sprinkled on.
    the baste is apple, orange,  and honey brought to boil.

Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    edited November 2016
    Options
    SloppyJoe said:
    SkinnyV said:
    Was Malcom's version different than SGH's?
    Brother Skinny and brother Joe, I have another version of this ham that I'm going to post right around Christmas. It's a little better but it's a little more involved as well. I also have a cured turkey recipe that I'm going to post along with it. I have been tweaking the turkey recipe for quite sometime now. Not blowing my own horn, but the cured turkey is beyond phenomenal. It's one of those things that is to good not to share. I hope that y'all will at least try the cured turkey even if you don't try the ham recipe. The cured turkey will leave you feeling like the proverbial hippy in a windstorm. It's that good brother Skinny.  

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    How about posting them a few weeks BEFORE Christmas so we might could give it a test run before the big day?

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    How about posting them a few weeks BEFORE Christmas so we might could give it a test run before the big day?
    I will try brother. The problem is I have to do the process all over again. I haven't documented or photographed any of the turkey attempts thus far. My plan was to get it worked out and then have someone take pics so I could post it. I may be able to post it in the next week or so. 

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SGH This is the first year since owning eggs I didn't cure my own Leg of Pork (Ham).
    Bought a spiral cut ham. I guess I'll just give it a little smoke treatment and glaze it. I'm sure it won't suck but it's not going to have the same flavor as all my others with the homemade cure. But quite frankly I just didn't feel like dicking with it this year.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    But quite frankly I just didn't feel like dicking with it this year.
    I hear you brother Husker. Sometimes life just gets in the way of taking the long road. That's why I like having simple recipes like this one as a backup plan. It's not everyday that we all have the time to age or cure something out. In a perfect world, time and money would not be a problem. But unfortunately for most of us, it's not a perfect world. 

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    But quite frankly I just didn't feel like dicking with it this year.
    I hear you brother Husker. Sometimes life just gets in the way of taking the long road. That's why I like having simple recipes like this one as a backup plan. It's not everyday that we all have the time to age or cure something out. In a perfect world, time and money would not be a problem. But unfortunately for most of us, it's not a perfect world. 
    Well maybe Mr Trump will fix all that. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    Well maybe Mr Trump will fix all that. 
    If the Trump years are even close to the Glory Days of Big Ron, I will retire a millionaire before Trumps first term ends. I'm forever thankful to God that Trump won. Maybe I can finally live a normal life again. The last 8 years has really crippled me financially. If the election would have went the other way, I would have lost everything that I own. It would have been the end of the line for poor ole SGH. 

Status- Standing by.

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I watched a TV program a few years back that was showing the HBH Co. process---the actual honey glaze is applied at the stores after they receive the hams, then they take a propane torch to it in order to melt it into the finished product.
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    rmr62 said:
    I watched a TV program a few years back that was showing the HBH Co. process---the actual honey glaze is applied at the stores after they receive the hams, then they take a propane torch to it in order to melt it into the finished product.
    I either saw that video or one similar to it. But I do remember them torching the glaze.  

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Scottie where is the best place to get your hands on the cure?  Online?  Any chance they might be at local specialty grocerys?   This sounds amazing, and I may be doing a ham for Xmas.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Scottie where is the best place to get your hands on the cure?  Online?  Any chance they might be at local specialty grocerys?   This sounds amazing, and I may be doing a ham for Xmas.   
    https://www.bunzlpd.com/product.php?productid=553591&cat=992205&page=1

And yes, most of the time you can buy small amounts from your local butcher or meat processor.  

Status- Standing by.