Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you cook with your fly open - I mean flue....

Options
In "smoke it like a pro" the author states that he leaves the bottom vent open all the way (closes the screen) and controls temp with his daisy wheel on top no matter what temp he is looking for!!!

I always close the lower vent unless I am after a super hot fire....  Any input???

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Do you control your garden hose at the faucet/hose-bib, or with the nozzle end?

doesn't matter. Either or both work

you can't let out more air (or water) than you let in

and you can't let in more than is going out
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    If I don't want too much smoke, particularly with poultry, I leave top off and control with bottom vent. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I don't cook with my fly open, but I have walked into my boss's office with my fly open.  She told me "You better zip up, cowboy."
    Flint, Michigan
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Alrighty then....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone - Nothing like starin' down the barrel of the one-eyed weeper  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Paul B.
    Options
    logical, learn something new every day!!!  My wife is my boss...  Have to give it a try!
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I do it like the book and it is incredibly easy to get to any temp you need when the only setting you have to worry about is one setting. 

Then i plug in my FB200 if cooking anything longer than 2 hours. :lol:
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    A controller for a two hour cook?

like using gps to get to the end of your driveway
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,658
    Options
    I leave the daisy off and control with the bottom vent unless I'm going below 300 then I use both.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• tikigriller
    Options
    A controller for a two hour cook?

like using gps to get to the end of your driveway
    But my driveway has curves in it!!!

anything I cook that takes longer than 2 hours is usually actually 5 hours or more. :-)

what can I say...I love tech. To me, the Egg tech vs how I used to cook!!  :lol:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options

shtgunal3 said:
    I leave the daisy off and control with the bottom vent unless I'm going below 300 then I use both.
    I did 275 last night and the settings were wide open on the bottom and just a little more than a pencil size opening on the smokeware. 

This last bag of RO had huge pieces all the way through. Was really a lot easier to hold lower temps with the larger pieces it seemed. 

Livermore, California