Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket for burgers. . .?

Options
mattyg
mattyg Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My friend is not convinced that brisket will make good hambuger meat. I haven't tried it myself but I have a lot of trust in this forum. Any pictures, suggestions or recipes to share? If you want to have some ground at a grocery store do you generally have to purchase the whole brisket?

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Check out my post from last night..............
    [ul][li]Last night's brisket burgers[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mattyg,
    try it, you'll like it!!![p]i'm sold on the merits of making burgers from brisket. . .great flavor. ..[p]i simply go the meat counter in my safeway and pull a small brisket flat out of the cabinet (my safeway always has flats in the 2,3,4 pound range). .. .i push the little buzzer, and when the butcher comes out i say "hi, would you please double grind this for me". . ..and they say, "sure, come back in ten minutes". . . .and 10 minutes later the guys has my brisket burger for me, and they simply use the same label that was on it originally, no additional charge. .. [p]now, if you are using trimmed brisket flats, the fat content is a little lower than regular 80/20 burger. .. probably more in the range of 85/15 or even 90/10. ...so i add some moisture to it. ..usually a couple of tablespoons per pound of worcesteshire sauce, or even bbq sauce .. .make big patties (i like 1/2 pounders), sprinkle em with dizzy cowlick or ken stone's witchy red (the new dizzy raising the steaks is great on burgers) and grill them fairly slowly (usually raised grid at around 300 degees dome temp for around 15 minutes per side, or even indirect at 300 degrees for like 20 - 25 minutes per side). ..only flip them once, and never, ever press on them. ...[p]i think the flavor is so good, i don't put anything on them or serve them on bun. ..just straight on the plate. ..yummy .. ..

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    mattyg,[p]We make the on a regular basis. Many meat counters have 2-3 pound briskets. You may have to ask them to double grind it for you, but the results are great. I did some Sunday (sorry no pictures). I just mixed in some Dizzy Pig (Raising the Steak) rub and made patties.[p]I tend to us the sear and dwell method ... 500 degrees for 1 minute, turn 45 degrees for 1 minute, then flip and repeat). I let them dwell for 1-3 minutes depending on your desired doneness.
  • JSlot
    Options
    You think the fat content is that low, Max? That would explain my wife's comment about the burgers(tastes like bison). I have always considered brisket one of the fattiest cuts. I was thinking it would be on the higher side of 70/30. Now you're gonna make me pull out my "Calorie Factor" book to get the nutritional values on trimmed and untrimmed brisket. :)[p]Thanks again for the grinding idea. The burgers were most excellent!!![p]Jim
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JSlot,
    i think it depends on the source hunk of meat. ..you said you were using a well trimmed packer. ...but that means you still had the fattier point in there, and whatever fat was between the point and the flat (unless they really trimmed that out) .. ..the briskets i've been using have all been trimmed portions of flats (usually half flats in the 3 - 4 pound range). . ..now they do have some fat cap on them, but not much. . .so, i could be way off, but the ground brisket doesn't look as fatty as my typically 80/20 ground beef .. .[p]so bottom line is, i guess it could be anywhere in that range (90=10 to 70-30). ... you know all this brisket talk has me thinkng burgers tonight!!!

• Saucy Sue
    Options
    mattyg,I have done this twice-- The first brisket was wonderful, but the 2nd one was dry as a popcorn you know what. I figured that the butcher "trimmed" all the fat off before he ground it. Just make it clear that you want the entire brisket ground twice!!

• JSlot
    Options
    That makes sense, Max. I'm gonna pull out my reference book and I'll post that info FYI.[p]Thank goodness I've got some leftovers. All this briburger talk is making me hungry, too!![p]All the best,
    Jim

• okesmokie
    okesmokie Posts: 150
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, Don’t want to throw a negative ranch into this but being a butcher for 30 years plus I have ground everything from t-bones to chicken for people that wanted that service and the only thing is the big commercial grinders takes about 5 lb of meat just to get it started and if the customer gets anywhere near all their meat back they have to run something behind the meat in order to push it on out. I know there were times that mixed in with their meat were something other than that sirloin they ask to have ground. We would always explain this to them and sometime they would say go ahead or for get it. Now having said that it’s been 15years since I ground anything or butchered and there is a good chance there is something or some new technology that will allow them to now do a better job with this. Sooner or later I mill invest in one of the new mixers with a grinding attachment to grind with it. The research I have done on these things I thank it will do a decent job then you can grind what you want. Or maybe go to a place that sells butcher equipment and bye a good small used unit I know there is times when you can bye round steak on sale cheaper than you can bye 80/20 ground beef out of the counter.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    okesmokie,
    thanks for that info. ..next time i have brisket ground, i will ask if their process picks up some of the other stuff or not . . .(maybe if i ask nice enough, they'll let me watch, but i doubt it). ...