Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Sharpening - the DEFINITIVE Recommendation?

greetings friends. 

Mobile wont let me search, so I'm asking right out--

if if I ask for a knife sharpening system for my Asian knives for my birthday/xmas, what do I ask for to achieve scary sharp edges?  Something not prohibitively expensive, please. :)

links appreciated. Hope you are very well!
thanks
8-damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    I have this whetstone:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NI5JUY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this sharpening steel:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YK1RAQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one really good ($100+) knife and a bunch of okay knives (Victorinox, cheap colored Cuisinart, etc). This combination works very well. I do have a little hand-held draw-through type sharpener that I use on the Cuisinarts, it works fine.

• 8milelake Upgraded Fixed-angle Knife Sharpener Kit Full Metal Professional 4 Sharpening Stones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QIKP182/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wADoybD107NFB

This is is what I use for sharpening.  

I also recomend some research on care and use of knives to keep them sharp. 

Wood of or plastic cutting boards. 

Use and hand wash. Dry immediately and back into proper storage. 
  • The cutting board steel and care I've got. Definitely
    looking for something I can dial the precise angle in on..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    greetings friends. 

if if I ask for a knife sharpening system for my Asian knives for my birthday/xmas, what do I ask for to achieve scary sharp edges?  Something not prohibitively expensive, please. :)

thanks
    8-damien

Define prohibitively expensive.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG said:
    greetings friends. 

thanks
    8-damien

Define prohibitively expensive.
    Less than $100ish
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• greetings friends. 

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited November 2016
    The full site link at the bottom just refreshes to home page. I'll try your suggestion thanks

edit --- worked thank gou
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm on Android and this is what I see
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    For <$100 I think Mosca has offered a good option. Using a stone tho presumes that you're willing to put in some time and effort to become proficient in its use.

If you want something that is not quite so demanding of that effort you might consider something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480191350&sr=8-1&keywords=spyderco+sharpmaker

If you're ok with spending a few bucks more and want something electric I know lots of folks are quite happy with this - https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-KO-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00EJ9CQKA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1480191749&sr=1-1&keywords=ken+onion+knife+sharpener
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Definitely get a strop and some compound for day to day maintinance.  Myself, I was unable to get a consistent edge by hand, and so went with a kit.  The one I bought now goes for more than you want to pay. And, it still took me quite awhile to learn to use it well.

Stones are a better buy if you can hold your hand steady.

Consider finding a professional sharpener. If the knives are good, and they aren't abused, it might take 3 - 5 years to spend $100 keeping them scary.

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Alternatively, do what I do and get them sharpened at your local fish monger. If anyone knows how to get a good edge, it's a fish monger. Mine charges $5/per.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • gdenby said:
    Definitely get a strop and some compound for day to day maintinance.  Myself, I was unable to get a consistent edge by hand, and so went with a kit.  The one I bought now goes for more than you want to pay. And, it still took me quite awhile to learn to use it well.

Stones are a better buy if you can hold your hand steady.

Consider finding a professional sharpener. If the knives are good, and they aren't abused, it might take 3 - 5 years to spend $100 keeping them scary.

Interested in the system you decided on nonetheless. I can fudge my budget. ;)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    tcracing said:
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm on Android and this is what I see
    @tcracing You can set your phone to desktop mode by tapping on the three dots up in the upper right hand corner and then select "desktop". This will switch you from moble to desktop mode.  I have to select the three dots than hit "open in chrome" than go back and hit "desktop". 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I got a Cook's Illustrated winner Chef'sChoice Trizor Model 15:

https://www.amazon.com/Choice-Trizor-EdgeSelect-Electric-Sharpener/dp/B0018RSEMU/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1480212165&sr=1-1&keywords=Chef%27sChoice+Trizor+Model+15

A bit more than you want to spend at $135.  It grinds all knives to the narrower Japanese design, but I've since learned that most European manufacturers (including my own, Henckel's 4-star) have gone to the narrower angle, so I bought this grinder.  

Before getting it, I did as suggested above and used a local knife sharpener, and then steeled my own knives once a week or so;  I only needed the local guy once every five years or so.  FWIW.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited November 2016
    I have found this to work exceptionally well on double belvel Asian knives. Brings them back to razor sharp and holds a 15 deg angle with ease. This is a water filled ceramic sharpener, You remove the plastic cover and add water to the basin below the stone to keep them wet. My experience is this will keep your knives sharp with out the risk of damaging an expensive blade. I use it on my double belvel Globals and Shuns. Worth the money IMO. 

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-643759/?affsrcid=AFF0005&utm_term=27409377632brandglobal&adpos=1o7&creative=45092948981&device=c&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=CImcndj0x9ACFQx9fgodRToDxA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Cen Tex's review of the Ken Onion Work Sharp sold me:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1160521/work-sharp-ken-onion-edition-knife-sharpener-review/p1

It works great for me.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • CTMike
    I have been saving my pennies for one of these systems to be able to sharpen my knives and woodworking chisels, planes, planer blades, etc. Should finally be able to purchase it next year:

https://www.amazon.com/Tormek-T-8-Ultimate-Plus-Package/dp/B01FWIDQJG/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1480215916&sr=1-2&keywords=tormek+t8

There are cheaper versions available but this is the one that I'm waiting for. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited November 2016
    @CTMike, that's the Holy Grail there!  I'm a woodworker with a big collection of hand chisels, scrapers, and planes, and would love to have that machine.  :triumph:

EDIT:  WHOA!!!  Just clicked on your link; I was saving up for their $400 machine, had no idea they had a $1,700 machine!!!   :o

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• CTMike
    Botch said:
    @CTMike, that's the Holy Grail there!  I'm a woodworker with a big collection of hand chisels, scrapers, and planes, and would love to have that machine.  :triumph:

I'm more of a wood butcher than a wood worker, but I know that sharp tools are inherently safer than dull ones. This unit will be in my shop next year. I would have had it sooner if I didn't keep spending money on those damn green and black German tools. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    gdenby said:
    Interested in the system you decided on nonetheless. I can fudge my budget. ;)
    I bought an Apex EdgePro. It was the lower end of 2 models, about $135. It is the same as the current Apex 4, which is going for about $250. An upside is that the system has been successful enough that other manufactures, such as Atoma, Chosera, etc.

Typically, I need one or 2 sessions a year for most of my knives, so the set should last pretty much forever, except for the polishing tapes. I practiced a lot on some pretty banged up blades, so the coarse stone got a work out. I may eventually get a diamond plate to replace it.
  • We have a knife sharpener dude tha comes by the restaurant, but he takes too much metal every time he comes. 

The ken onion is looking like a real option @The Cen-Tex Smoker -- there seems to be a base model and an accessory pack? 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• My son gave me the chefs choice 315 for Christmas last year. I have good quality Asian knives and I don't take care of them. It's fast, idiot proof and easy to use. Will it give you the razor sharp you are looking for? Not likely but for ADD types like me it's fine. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Have the chef choice - bought one for my buddy and he doesn't like it.  I like mine - not perfect but sufficient for fishing knives and I occasionally drag my good knives across them and then fine tune.  I think I can get a good edge on them.  I always used a tri-stone in the restaurants....  Always had 12 inch but this smaller one may work depending on what you are sharpening...  

https://www.amazon.com/Norton-IM200-Three-Sharpening-System/dp/B000XK4MYW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480273995&sr=8-2&keywords=tristone+knife+sharpener
  • Didn't see the Ken Onion sharpener - you guys are a bad influence.  How can you live without one of those?
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I know it's sort of old school, with no motors or anything but I love my Lanskey set. Great value,  Can get easily razor sharp. Takes a bit of elbow grease but works super well. www.lanskey.com

But be careful. Two stories. 
    I sharpened a friends knife at deer camp. Next day he was sitting at the table and someone noticed his hand was bleeding. He had put the knife in the leather sheath wrong, slit the sheath wide open and had cut his hand on it without even knowing. It was that sharp. 

I also did did a neighbors Swiss Army knife for him and he went to cut some plastic on a project has doing and pried on it wrong, shutting it on his finger cutting down to the bone. Don't use a razor sharp knife like a screwdriver. 

Bonus story. My friend used it to touch up filet knives at the cottage, took his belt off to use as a strop and cut the belt in half on the first stroke. It can get a knife crazy sharp. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • gmac said:
    I know it's sort of old school, with no motors or anything but I love my Lanskey set. Great value,  Can get easily razor sharp. Takes a bit of elbow grease but works super well. www.lanskey.com

I sharpened a friends knife at deer camp. Next day he was sitting at the table and someone noticed his hand was bleeding. He had put the knife in the leather sheath wrong, slit the sheath wide open and had cut his hand on it without even knowing. It was that sharp. 

I also did did a neighbors Swiss Army knife for him and he went to cut some plastic on a project has doing and pried on it wrong, shutting it on his finger cutting down to the bone. Don't use a razor sharp knife like a screwdriver. 

Bonus story. My friend used it to touch up filet knives at the cottage, took his belt off to use as a strop and cut the belt in half on the first stroke. It can get a knife crazy sharp. 
    Diamond or regular style? This looks like a great option for me. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• CTMike
    gmac said:

The Lansky is a great system no doubt, especially for doing shorter knives. But IMO it falls short when you need to hone a large chefs knife or carving knife. You keep having to move the knife in the clamp to work your way down the blade, and it is not easy to maintain a consistent bevel when doing that. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    It works kind of like a mini Edge Pro Apex.
    I do like how the blade and holder flip off the base to sharpen the other side.  On the Apex, I have to work ambidextriously, while holding the knife handle.  You get used to it.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• CTMike said:
    gmac said:

The Lansky is a great system no doubt, especially for doing shorter knives. But IMO it falls short when you need to hone a large chefs knife or carving knife. You keep having to move the knife in the clamp to work your way down the blade, and it is not easy to maintain a consistent bevel when doing that. 
    The fear I have with the ken onion, which intrigues me, is that the belt driven system, like a grinding wheel, will take too much metal off. The Lansky seems like a well controlled block. I did hand sharpening for years in a kitchen where I worked and have sharpened free hand a whole bunch. I want the accuracy of that exact edge. The Lansky might be my pick.....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• How long of a blade will Lansky accommodate?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE