Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy wheel

Options
Hillbilly Willy
Hillbilly Willy Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you keep the daisy wheel setting from changing when you open and close the dome? On my BGE gravity repositions the damper when I open and close the egg. Do you remove the daisy wheel before opening or is there a better way to maintain the damper setting?[p]Thanks,
Bill

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Hillbilly Willy,[p]Set the wheel on the dome so the hinge on the wheel is facing you. Then it will not change when the dome is opened.[p]Spin
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Spin,
    The Naked Whiz site has a great photo tutorial on how to avoid changing the daisy setting with lid opening. It works.

[ul][li]Whiz Wheel[/ul]
  • Hillbilly Willy,[p]Until you get used to it I would set the wheel opening when the top is opened. This way you dictate how much you want it opened. Over time you'll get a feel of where the screw should be facing to get the opening you want.[p]Howard

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Hillbilly Willy,
    The two screws on the daisy wheel should be perpindicular to the back of the Egg at all times.

• Hillbilly Willy
    Options
    Thanks to all who responded to my daisy wheel question. I followed uncbbq's link to the NW site for his explanation of the fix. Positioning the daisy wheel so that the damper (pendulum) will hang straight down without swinging when the dome is opened makes good sense. I had the idea that a little more friction to prevent the damper from swinging would help. So I found a lock washer with a ½" ID that fits over the boss that the pivot screw is threaded into. With the damper in place, I added the lock washer and the flat washer and tightened the screw to provide the right amount of friction by compressing the lock washer. I used a little CA glue on the threads of the screw to insure that it won't move. While I had everything disassembled, I smoothed the edges of the ten oval shaped openings in the little wheel and the damper. I reassembled the little wheel to the damper and lubed it with a small amount of high temp graphite lubricant. This made the daisy part of the assembly easy to adjust. I reinstalled the cap on the egg and everything works well. Cycling pizzas through the egg should be easier now. I just hope that heating up the egg doesn't change anything.[p]Bill

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Hillbilly Willy,
    I just tightened the screw on mine down tight enough to where I have to use the ash tool to tap on it to adjust it. It stays put wherever I set it and I tap it open or closed when needed. Also, with the tighter setting, it scrapes itself clean when opening and closing it.

• Hillbilly Willy
    Options
    I tried that too. On mine the boss is too tall to allow the washer to contact the flange of the damper and create resistance, so I added the lock washer. I think there is enough spring in the washer to keep some pressure on the damper no matter what position the damper is in. The castings are pretty rough and probably vary from unit to unit. Anyway, it appears that we are ready to cook. Thanks for the input.[p]Bill