Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions sought on buying a vacuum sealer

Options

I've noticed quite a few folks here use vacuum food sealers. I feel like I've done my due diligence in researching models, but I'm still unsure. Would love to hear reviews on the types of models you own.

Ideally, I would like to not keep my sealer on the countertop, so perhaps a simpler, smaller unit is in my future. I don't, however, want to sacrifice performance just so I can store the sealer in a cupboard.

I don't envision using the sealer a lot, but I would like to know that if I see a good deal on bulk meat or a large cut that I'll be breaking down into steaks, I'll have a reliable sealer to freeze my stash.

Any input would be appreciated.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Based on what you have described then a cheaper model of a Food Saver would serve your purposes well. BTW FS is the 800 pound gorilla in the sealer world.
    They are often on sale and since there are so many models on the market just look for one in the $100 range. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    if you buy a foodsaver that has the containers, foodsaver makes a small handheld pump which makes things more practical for everyday use like storing cheese, deli etc.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Wolfie51sb  I bought the cheaper one at Costco back in May.  It was 59$.  Model FM2100.  It has worked well and I use it more than I ever thought I would.  

The one feature that I wish it had, would be a double heat seal.  This would save me a step.
    Phoenix 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    It might be worth checking out if you can find one used. It's one of those items that people think they need until they realize it just takes up space. So they are almost always available to find 2nd hand. I picked mine up for $10 on Craigslist 3 years ago and has worked great. So I don't feel so bad when it sits in storage not being used.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    It might be worth checking out if you can find one used. It's one of those items that people think they need until they realize it just takes up space. So they are almost always available to find 2nd hand. I picked mine up for $10 on Craigslist 3 years ago and has worked great. So I don't feel so bad when it sits in storage not being used.
    BTW FS also sells factory refurbished units too - you might contact them to see what's available. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Kohl's has all sorts of Foodsaver models on the shelf, if you want to scout them in person.

I went a while ago, and ended up getting their base model, which is smaller, fits on the top shelf of the cabinet, and cost about $60 after coupon or during a sale.

I figured if it busted , I could get another for the same price.  but it has done fine for the past maybe 4 years?  it's the 8", which covers 99% of the stuff I need to seal.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Wolfie51sb
    Options
    Thanks much for the feedback. Good to know about Kohl's. I think I'll check out some in person to get a feel for size and specs, then search out some deals.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
     Once you choose one , here are a few tips i have found over the years.
       Ziplock brand sealer bags are thicker than food saver bags. Wrap sharp edged bone in meat with plastic wrap first , lightly freeze wetter meats prior to bagging and sealing,and make sure the opening is clean and dry for a good seal. I also wash and reuse my bags whenever i can. :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have this model:
    http://www.amazon.com/Weston-65-0201-Pro-2300-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B001GP81R2
    It has served me well.
    It's a bit more expensive than the Food Saver models, however it is built well.

If money is not a concern I would recommend getting a chamber vacuum sealer. It is a lot more versatile and the vacuum bags are a lot cheaper.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I have a fairly large sealer (Weston Pro-3000). I keep it on a shelf in my garage where I keep a few other items of kitchenware that don't see daily use.

Whenever I need to seal stuff I just load up the bags in the kitchen, put them on a tray and head out to the garage for a sealing session. The sealer is always plugged in and ready to go.

I find that easier than having to get out even a small sealer and putting it back every time I would want to use it even if I just wanted to seal one or two things after dinner or such.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Wolfie51sb
    Options

Thank you for all of the suggestions and input. Decided to go with this model:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LUGK5QW?keywords=fm2110&qid=1454078735&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• blasting
    Options

Thank you for all of the suggestions and input. Decided to go with this model:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LUGK5QW?keywords=fm2110&qid=1454078735&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Rob, just a heads up, that's the same one I have, and it's on sale at Costco right now for $59.  Good simple unit.

Phoenix 
  • Wolfie51sb
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting the Costco info. I canceled my Amazon order and picked one up in person this afternoon for $40 cheaper. Much appreciated!

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• blasting
    edited January 2016
    Options

You're welcome, glad it worked out.  I'll let you know where to send my cut.

Phoenix 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    GregW said:
    I have this model:
    http://www.amazon.com/Weston-65-0201-Pro-2300-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B001GP81R2
    It has served me well.
    It's a bit more expensive than the Food Saver models, however it is built well.

If money is not a concern I would recommend getting a chamber vacuum sealer. It is a lot more versatile and the vacuum bags are a lot cheaper.
    I have a Weston brand vacuum sealer that Cabela's sold a few years ago (it's pretty close to the 2300 in the link above). I bought the Weston because I went through 2 or 3 Food Saver models that failed at the most inopportune time. The Weston is user serviceable (by me at least) and has inexpensive maintenance kits.

I have already used the Weston for longer than all of my other Food Savers combined. I buy 4mil bags and rolls from some Internet website and the cost savings is significant over FS bags/rolls. I also agree that the ZipLoc bags/rolls are extremely high quality and usually significantly cheaper than the FS ones.

I believe that if I really wanted to flatten an aluminum can I could do it with the Weston. I usually use the manual vacuum setting with a 3 or 4 second seal. I've never had a bag not seal, ever. I use my vacuum sealer quite a few times each month - I buy bulk meat at Sams/Costco and seal it down into smaller quantities. I buy fresh roasted espresso beans in 1-3# quantities and vacuum seal the beans into ~1 Cup servings and freeze it off. When I go organic, free-range grocery shopping with a gun, I vacuum seal trail mix and snacks for the trip....and when I return with groceries, they get butchered and vacuum sealed.