Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Deviled Eggs for an Appetizer (Best Deviled Eggs Ever)

Options
i have posted this before, but with people appreciating the baked potato/mashed potato recipe I thought I would share this in case you wanted to do it for a party or what not.

its really easy (though it does take some time to make the Deviled eggs themselves.

1. Hard boil eggs whatever way you want until done. (Highly recommend two things on this. One, leave your eggs on the counter for as long as you can as this will help it be easier to peel the shell once hard boiled. Two, hard boil these ahead of time, like the day before and cool them in the fridge over night.)

2. Let cool completely.

3. Peel shells.

4. Clean out your smoker completely.

5. Set up a cold smoke system of your choosing (I use the Amaz-N-Smoker and pellets.) Make sure to have something to deflect any possible heat (platesetter, etc.) it does not seem to matter which direction you orientate the heat deflector.

6. Start cold smoke

7. Set cooled hard boiled eggs on wire rack above the heat deflector cold smoke for 90 minutes (try to keep the eggs on top of the area that has deflected the heat, i.e. Don't put the eggs to the very far edge where the plate setter is not covering.) 

P.S. a large egg can comfortably fit about 30 or so eggs without doing an additional rack in it. You probably could for 60 if you were determined and added some racks.

8. After 90 minutes pull the eggs and cut in half length wise to pull the yoke.

9. Put the yokes in a separate bowl. Put the eggs white halves open side up in whatever serving tray you will be using.

10. Either mash the yokes with a fork in the bowl, or the much easier way, get your kitchen aid out, put on the whisk attachment and whisk the yokes. As they are getting whisked add mayonnaise, mustard, and salt to desired taste (some people add dill, I do not). The ratios here on the add ins are subject to your taste, desired texture, etc. what I can tell you is add the ingredients incrementally (meaning don't add a full cup of mayonnaise all at once, add 1/2 cup then a squirt of mustard and just a pinch of salt, turn off the mixer and try the concoction. See what you think it needs more of and then add slightly more of that (another shot of mustard, another 1/4 cup of mayonnaise.))

11. Once done to your desired consistency and flavor, take a ziplock bag, and fill it with the mixture. Cut off one corner of the ziplock bag and "pipe" the mixture into the eggs. (You should have plenty of mixture so you can fill them to overflowing)

12. Now as a finishing touch take some BBQ rub (Dizzy Dust works really good on these) and sprinkle it in top.

13. Set in refrigerate to cool. 

14. If this is your first time making these your family may weirded out at smoked Deviled eggs, however, if they are like my family they will start the habit of trying to defend their fair quantity of these. (No joke) And I am now required to make these every holiday.

okkkk long text post, but, that is everything I have learned on making these. They are a bit of effort, however, well worth it!

let me know if you guys and gals have any questions

JT

Comments