Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Help

Options
so our turkey is going to be done before everything else ready.  Any recommendations to prevent from drying out?

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Spritz with apple juice or slather butter on it and wrap in foil. If you cooked it in a roasting pan leave it in there and cover with foil. Should be good to go. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • BBQbutler
    Options
    You can hold it for hours in a cooler.   Wrap in foil.   Might in currently in a cooler ( with out beer
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • jstewart12a
    Options
    FTC. Wrap it in foil, cover it in a towel and put it in a cooler. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    How much of a head start does it have?  I ask because any of the serious foil and cooler wraps will cost you the skin.  You can effectively hold it loosely covered/tented  with foil and a towel for around 45 minutes and keep the skin while maintaining the temperature.  Beyond that process, you will sacrifice the skin but the flavor will still be there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You can easily rest it for an hour.  When you slice it make thicker slices.  Put the meat on a warmed platter and pour a little hot turkey/chicken stock over the meat.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • onesaxplayer
    Options
    I boiled water and warmed cooler knowing I'd be done early.  Cooler has a sign on it warning passersby not to open under penalty of having to eat oven turkey.
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    How much of a head start does it have?  I ask because any of the serious foil and cooler wraps will cost you the skin.  You can effectively hold it loosely covered/tented  with foil and a towel for around 45 minutes and keep the skin while maintaining the temperature.  Beyond that process, you will sacrifice the skin but the flavor will still be there.  FWIW-
    This. Too late for me to chime in to have any impact but id rather eat cold turkey than have rubbery skin. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX