Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Turkey

Options
Wife went nuts this year and got a 20lb fresh turkey.  What is the largest anyone has cooked on their Large Egg.  I've never even tried one nearly this big.  I think, maybe I did close to 16 at best.  I'm hoping it's not oven time this year.  Well, if it is, I guess the sides will have to go there.

Comments

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    edited November 2016
    Options

According to BGE, a 20lb turkey will fit on a large. I'm getting a 20lber as well so we will see......

I am planning on using the platesetter with some spacers and then a drip pan with the turkey in a rack. That way it will sit lower in the Egg and hopefully not hit the dial thermometer. Worst case, I'll pull the thermometer as I'm going to use my Maverick anyway.

One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Jbritt510
    Options
    I'm about to start a 23 lber in about an hour
    Smoking Hott Wife, Somking Hott Large BGE
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited November 2016
    Options
    17lb Spatchcock @ 400F Raised Direct took my around 2.5 hours last year.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • crumley11
    Options
    Do not be ashamed of using the oven. After about 4 hours in the egg the meat has soaked up all the smoke and flavor that the egg can give.  All you need after that is perfect temperature and time.  I got your back if you end up using the oven and I guarantee no one will have a clue it was pulled off the smoker early!  
  • vettman
    Options
    Stand firm on the Egg the whole time.  Use that oven for dressing, corn casserole and other stuff.  "Trust the Egg, and may the force be with you."

Doug

LG, MiniMax BGE