Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey brine question?

Options
I mixed up a brine last night and spatchcocked a turkey to sit in it overnight. Throwing it on the egg this afternoon.  When you pull from the brine, do you simply wash the turkey off with clean water and then pat dry?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Yes.. I personally would wash thoroughly, or even better soak a few times in fresh water (10 min each). My thing is, over salty is probably one of the worst things I would want to do to a bird.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Yes just rinse it throughly with water and pat dry.  I took mine out if 12 hr brine this morning. After rinsing and drying I put on my dry spices and put in fridge uncovered. Will sit there for 24 hours drying skin out for egging in the morning. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Thanks.   I did soak it for about 10 minutes after rinsing it off.  It had a salt solution out of the package.   Didn't realize that until it was already in the brine and I started reading online. Hope it isn't ruined.   I did soak to rinse some of the salt out of it.  We also have a ham today, so it's not the end of the world if it doesn't turn out good.

First time doing a spatchcock turkey.   Still trying to decide direct or indirect.  Seems people do them both ways with good results.  
    Athens, GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Thanks.   I did soak it for about 10 minutes after rinsing it off.  It had a salt solution out of the package.   Didn't realize that until it was already in the brine and I started reading online. Hope it isn't ruined.   I did soak to rinse some of the salt out of it.  We also have a ham today, so it's not the end of the world if it doesn't turn out good.

First time doing a spatchcock turkey.   Still trying to decide direct or indirect.  Seems people do them both ways with good results.  
    How many hours was it in the brine?  If 8 to 10 I think you should be ok.  I did a 15 pound Butterball last week for work that already been brined and it wasn't to salty.  I did a gallon of water with 1 cup of brown sugar, 3/4 cup of kosher salt and a 1/4 cup of Oak Ridge Santa Maria Seasoning.  I was more interested in getting the flavor into it from the seasoning.  I think you will be ok.  I also like to put mine uncovered back in the fridge and brining for about 24 hours.  It helps make the skin crisper.    If you go direct I suggest raised as well.  Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    It was in the brine about 11 hours.   Soaked in water for about 10 minutes afterward, just to be safe.   It's on now, raised direct, top rack of adjustable rig, so about 2 inches above felt line.   Running 375-400.   How long will it take....1.5-2 hrs?
    Athens, GA