Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork for 75

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In another part of my life, I'm treasurer for our local cycling club. Each month, a board member hosts the board meeting at their home and provides a meal. Well, of course, when it was my turn, I did some pulled pork, among other things.[p]Well, now we have a Labor Day picnic coming up, and I've been requested to do pulled pork for the picnic. That's probably going to mean I'll end up serving about 75 people.[p]So, can any of you who do this for the masses tell me how many pork butts I'm going to need to cook to serve that many people? I know there's a formula out there, but haven't really needed to know it up until now...[p]Thanks,
Tonia
:~)

Comments

• Chef
    Chef Posts: 7
    Options
    QBabe, a normal portion would be 4 oz per person, and for hungry eaters, 5+ oz per person. Count on about 50% shrinkage in my estimation. So 75 people @ 4 oz per person after cooked weight would be about 19 pounds, or 38 pounds raw weight.

• aka mr. Earl
    aka mr. Earl Posts: 151
    Options
    chef,[p]Yeah that sounds about right. My local butcher has been measuring the shrinkage for a couple of months now, and he puts it closer to 40 percent, but you're probably safer assuming 50 percent. [p]The average butt weighs 8 pounds, so using your figures, she might want to cook 5 butts - or a case.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    QBabe,[p]A lot of it depends on what else is going to be there to eat. If it just going to be pulled pork then I would say 60lbs raw..If you are going to have several "fillers" I would say 30-40lbs...[p]One thing I did the last time I had a friend want me to do a bunch of pulled pork was...smoke a whole bologna. I was surprised that it went pretty fast..
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    QBabe,
    I have the forumula in my Ceramic FAQ. My guiding example was the time I cooked butts for a homeless shelter. 3.5 butts fed 37 women. It obviously depends on how hungry they are and what else they will have to eat as sides, etc. Good luck!

[ul][li]How Much Meat[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I did 60.7 pounds of bone-in shoulder on my XL Saturday; a full grill! The pulled weight, removing any "less than perfect meat" for baked beans, was 26.6 pounds. I usually figure a 50% yield, so was a little surprised at the lower yield. I use small-cheap buns and figure about 4 oz per sandwich, so I have a little over 100 sandwiches. I figure that some will eat two sandwiches, others only one. I would think that I have enough for 75 people, but if they have to peddle the cycles and have recently done so, then I might make a little extra slaw or fire up a second egg and do a little more.[p]I hope this helps.[p]BillT
  • Super Glide
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I think the most important question is really, what kind of Bike do you have? :)[p]05 C'dale Synapse
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I would say 60 - 70 lbs butt.[p]I just did 40 lbs. (Lg BGE full up) a week ahead, froze it, and reheated in an elec roaster using Coca Cola. The PP didn't lose a thing. Rave reviews.[p]Woody
  • QBabe
    Options
    aka Mr. Earl,[p]Thanks![p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    icemncmth,[p]Yeah, there will be sides. The club will also be providing coleslaw and beans, but in addition to that, the members bring sides, salads and dessert.[p]These are not folks who are afraid to eat![p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks! I should have know to look there...[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    BillT,[p]I don't have the XL, but figure I'll just fire up however many eggs I need and just get them all going! I have 2 larges, 1 medium, 1 small and another large cooker we keep at QBH's work, if I needed it. There's the mini, also, but I don't think I'll need to take advantage of it for this one.[p]BTW, I didn't know there was any pulled pork that was "less than perfect" - smile![p]Thanks,
    Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Superglide,[p]I have an '05 Bacchetta Giro 20 recumbent, which I LOVE! [p]QBH has a whole garage full of bikes (he collects them like eggs!)...[p]'05 Trek Pilot 5.2
    '05 Trek 520 Touring
    '03 Trek ??? Mountain Bike
    '00 Trek ??? Hybrid[p]He's really the "rider" in the family. He commutes 25-30 miles roundtrip to work daily, and weekend rides are usually 40-60 miles each on Sat & Sun, with an average pace of 18-19 mpg. He's planning back to back century's this fall at our local cycling festival, so is working up to that...[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• QBabe
    Options
    Woody54,[p]Yeah, we've done butts ahead and then reheated on the day of an event, but never quite on this scale.[p]Thanks!
    Tonia