Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini/Minimax weights?

I am picking up a new travel trailer tomorrow and am interested in getting an egg for camping.  However, weight is a consideration.   Does anyone know the weights of the mini and minimax?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Not to be an a-hole, but I'm sure google does. 

http://biggreenegg.com/how-do-you-like-your-eggs/
    Las Vegas, NV

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    edited November 2016
    I searched and did not find that page.  That's what I was looking for.   As$hole or not, thank you.   That's what I needed.  
    Athens, GA
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    We take our MM camping with us all season.  Have a 5th wheel and put it in the basement.  Use it every weekend and now that camping season is over we use it most weekends at home-unless using the large.  Will put a ham on the MM Thanksgiving and turkey on the large.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited November 2016
    My Mini-Max is around 75lbs or 90, I thought it said 70 on the box when I bought it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    For easy transporting, I think I'd prefer a regular mini.   36 lbs vs 90 is quite a difference.  If space wasn't a concern, I still really like the Small.   Don't think I want to lug an 80 lb grill around on camping trips, though.     I wonder how easy it is to find a used Mini for sale?
    Athens, GA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Go mini.... I am pretty damn tough and strong... I'm tired of moving this max deal and to be honest won't be doing it again. Mini is going on next local trip.
    Seattle, WA
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    I love the mini, and if you don't have help moving stuff definitely get the mini.  I have mine in the nest and it is still pretty dang heavy and awkward I think.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    The mini carrier makes it even easier to transport vs the nest.  For those w both the max and mini,they look great side by side when each has a carrier.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Buy a weber kettle. Cheap, lightweight and gets the job done quite well. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2016
    Buy a weber kettle. Cheap, lightweight and gets the job done quite well. 
    Yeah I was going to suggest starting with a Jumbo Joe.  For $60 you get the grilling space of a large egg and you can carry it in one hand.  Even if you decide to add an egg later the JJ will come in handy if you are only planning to grill or just want extra real estate.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I thought they were both the same egg but one had the metal carrier. Judging by the weight difference I guess that isn't true.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I thought they were both the same egg but one had the metal carrier. Judging by the weight difference I guess that isn't true.
    The mini is smaller.  It has an 8 inch cooking grid, vs a 13 inch grid on the mini-max.  The mini-max is basically a small egg with the bottom 3rd cut off and a shorter fire box/ring, and also comes with the carrier. Apparently the carrier is pretty expensive because it is 30% less egg and cost more than the small :smirk:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    The Mini is a 10" cooking grid.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thanks @SmokeyPitt and @Hotch

I was mixing up  the mini and the small. I got it now. 

Got to stay away from the "Customer Reduction" thread. It is clouding up my mind trying to keep track of all the various opinions.  :o
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I have a small in my Motor Home, I'm lucky in the fact that I have a hatch that it fits in. Do have to tip it some to get it in but once it's in it will stand up in the hatch. I can do it with no help, I roll it over to the hatch in the nest pick up, put in hatch, loosen the bolts on the nest fold it flat and put in hatch. When I get to any campground it goes in the nest and no table needed for the egg. I have a Mini Max and while it's a great Egg I find it to heavy for one person to move and it always needs some kind of a table to set it on, oh and a table that can take a 90 pound load. I also have a Mini and it's also a great Egg, one can really cook a lot more than you think on a Mini. At the Central Florida Fall Eggfest another cook told me he wanted a Mini Max real bad because he thought it would be great because it was just himself and his wife and firing up the large for 2 burgers seemed like over kill, I asked him about his setup for the large. It's in a nest with egg mates so he can roll it around on his patio, I asked him where he was going to put the table for the Mini Max and he said I hadn't thought about that then went on to tell me he keeps the large egg under the covered part of the patio until he uses it and would do same with the Mini Max I then told him to go pick up the MM that was at the eggfest he declined saying he knew it was heavy. I then told him that a small with a nest had the same size cooking grid as the MM and he could roll it around just like the large he did not know they were same size cooking grid, he told me he was getting a small nest combo. Just my 2 cents!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer