Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoked Salmon

Options
Catwoman
Catwoman Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is it possible to cold smoke salmon on the BGE? If yes, how does one go about doing this? Thanks!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Catwoman,
    Depends on what you call "cold" smoked....I routinely smoke salmon @ ~ 100-120 deg F. using my GURU...If you really want COLD smoke, I have heard of people attaching a hose of some sort to the top of the BGE & running it to a box of some sort outside the egg where the fish is...good luck & maybe some Eggsperts will follow up better than I.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    i cold smoke quite often to make lox. after curing, washing, drying & brushing with rum/sugar & drying, then cold smoking is needed.
    I connect a aluminum dryer hose by using aluminum foil to the chimney (making a small fire with lump & soaked alder wood chips. the other end of the hose is lead into a oven tray on which the salmon is placed & surrounded with aluminum foil. The hose is about 3-4 ft away from the BGE entering the aluminum "tent" and a hole left open on the other end of the "tent" for the smoke to escape. Smoking takes about 45 min
    i will post a photo as soon as i find it
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    Catwoman,
    Just in case you are interested, Chef Arnoldi posted a response that isn't showing up here (the wormhole effect). You can see it using biggreenegg.net. [p]I have always hot smoked my salmon and now I'm very interest in trying out his method.

[ul][li]wormhole?[/ul]
  • paulette
    paulette Posts: 10
    Options
    Cannot get biggreenegg.net on the web. Can you help...
  • paulette
    paulette Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for your reply on smoked salmon. Would you know between what degrees exactly I should cold-smoke the salmon in order to prevent botulism ? I also have a few other questions for you :

To prevent cooking the salmon I guess I must create the 'tent' shown on your picture to make smoked salmon, right?

Can one obtain and maintain such low degrees in the BGE without using Gurus and such things?

Would appreciate all the input you can give me.
  • Candu
    Candu Posts: 2
    Options

I have cold smoked salmon several times on my BGE.

I found a smoker box at a local BBQ store called  the A-Maze-N-Pellet-Smoker.

You fill it with pellets and get one end smoking before putting it under the plate setter.

I use the plate setter because it distributes any heat that comes from the pellets.

I then placing the grill and a grill extender over the plate setter with a fillet of cured salmon on each.

I then let it smoke for 1 - 2 hours before wrapping it in plastic to sit overnight in the fridge.

The next day it is ready for slicing.

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    @unknown - do you do anything special to build the fire for that low temp?  I've heard some say collect the small bits and build with that - what do you find works?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE