Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Tub

Options
MikeP624
MikeP624 Posts: 292
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I checked my crockpot this morning. And it should work on the warm setting. Water got to 140, but took 1.5hrs to go from warm tap water to max temp. My question is what temp do u cook them to? And how long will it take for the steaks to get to temp. I want the final (after sear) doness to be medium-rare.

Do u season before the hot tub or after. Was just going with salt and pepper.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I use a hot tub spa at 102F and place the steaks, usually 1-1 1/2 inch thick and del monicos and rib eyes mostly. 
    Sealed in a food saver of double zip-lok they come from the counter around 48-55F and go into the spa for about an hour.  They are then around 85ish.
     Cook 500-600 minute per inch of thickness on each side.  use a thermapen and pull around 125-130 they will creep up a few degrees. I have been using a Himalayan Salt block for the last year or so and am very happy with the results.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1005200&catid=1
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i toos the meat in a ziploc, and sink it in hot tapwater.  that set-up takes about two minutes.  i change the water once or twice, and ignore the internal temp, because it's never going to get hotter than the tapwater anywa, which is around 125-130.

take it out, pat dry a bit, season with salt, and toss on the grill searing to final temp.

if you are only warming a steak, you don't need to do the dance with a crockpot and thermometers and everything.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    When I started to use the"hot tub" method, I did not use a crockpot. I have my tap water set to 120, and I just ran the water long enough to come out at that temperature. I would dump the bagged steaks into the water, and refresh the water long enough that what I felt when I pinched the bag was the same temperature as the water.

That brings the meat temperature to just below rare. I then toss the steaks on the grill for 30 seconds per half inch per side. After a few minutes rest, the meat in the center is around 130, and the outside is nicely brown with crisp stripes.

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Last night I bought 4 choice bone in rib eyes, seasoned with salt and pepper and zip locked them with some chopped fresh garlic. Hot rubbed them in hot tap water for about 45 minutes while waiting on my guests. Even though they were a little thicker than an inch they cooked very quickly. Cooked them for about 5 minutes with lid down and foiled them as the guests arrived. One glass of cabernet while they were foiled then checked internal temp, they were already 115. After a very quick sear and wow! Best steaks of 2012. My 1st reverse sear after hot tub and perfect medium rare. I was a decent cook before egging but now much better after getting so much good info here.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Any updates to the info above?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Any updates to the info above?
    Ummm...those techniques still work. What sort of updates were you looking for?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hans61
    Options
    @HeavyG did my first hot tub today on the Weber. I went off this thread and just wanting to make sure that there wasn't anything better since it's a 2012

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    I don't know why the pics posted in that order
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Hans61 probably the biggest update is how popular sous vide machines have become, and how the prices keep dropping. I saw one of the Anova units on sale for $99. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    stike said:
    i toos the meat in a ziploc, and sink it in hot tapwater.  that set-up takes about two minutes.  i change the water once or twice, and ignore the internal temp, because it's never going to get hotter than the tapwater anywa, which is around 125-130.

take it out, pat dry a bit, season with salt, and toss on the grill searing to final temp.

if you are only warming a steak, you don't need to do the dance with a crockpot and thermometers and everything.

This guy reminds me of Darby.  @Hans61, an anova SV machine is cheap and very useful if you plan to use it.  At Stike style works too.  Dealers choice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    stike said:

This guy reminds me of Darby.  @Hans61, an anova SV machine is cheap and very useful if you plan to use it.  At Stike style works too.  Dealers choice.
    Yeah I noticed @JustineCaseyFeldown :-) he was Darby when I joined. 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    bgebrent said:
    stike said:

Yeah I noticed @JustineCaseyFeldown :-) he was Darby when I joined. 
    And 12 others before that.  Boy knows a thing or two.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @Hans61 probably the biggest update is how popular sous vide machines have become, and how the prices keep dropping. I saw one of the Anova units on sale for $99. 
    If someone already has an old style non-digital crockpot using one of these - https://smile.amazon.com/WILLHI-WH1436A-110V-Temperature-Controller/dp/B00V4TJR00/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1479696360&sr=8-20&keywords=pid+controller

will allow you to control the temp just as well as an immersion circulator for just $30.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you are just trying to take the chill out of a steak: ziploc bag; hot tapwater (yours will be max 130 or so by code); change it out when cool a couple times

steak is now ready to simply sear

no thermometers, wire, pumps 

not sous vide so much as the old "leave it out til room temp" logic (whoch never works).

you end up with a perfect cross section and perfect sear
  • Hans61
    Options
    I hot tubed some frozen leftovers earlier in the week and it was quite possibly my finest reheat leftovers I've ever had

been thinking about getting a sous vide even if just for a leftover warmer. 

I've always been a reverse sear guy but this method has merit 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    If you are just trying to rake the chill out of a steak: ziploc bag; hot tapwater (yours will be max 130 or so by code); change it out when cool a couple times

not sous vide so much as the old "leave it out til room temp" logic (whoch never works).

My tap water was 122. I seared 90sec per side - they ended up 145ish so more done then I wanted. Next time will sear only 60seconds per side on inch thick strips

thanks for your input!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    If you are just trying to rake the chill out of a steak: ziploc bag; hot tapwater (yours will be max 130 or so by code); change it out when cool a couple times

My tap water was 122. I seared 90sec per side - they ended up 145ish so more done then I wanted. Next time will sear only 60seconds per side on inch thick strips

thanks for your input!
    You can always back off on time soaking or water heat. No real need for sous vide unless you are going for an extended period
  • Hans61
    Options
    Hans61 said:

thanks for your input!
    You can always back off on time soaking or water heat. No real need for sous vide unless you are going for an extended period
    I soaked for an hour. This was my first soak. (Kramer and his hot tub from  Seinfeld flashed in my brain while typing response  :) ) do you prefer reverse sear over sous vide and or hot tubbing? 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    I hot tub when i have a nice steak. Dry aged or something thick

most other times i cook to touch and am happy with what hits the plate.