Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pro Tip: If you wanted to serve a 45-day dry aged roast for christmas dinner, it's too late. But...

Options

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    It is a fantastic post, and timely as well. Bought my roast, and it is sitting in the fridge drying and rotting since Sat. Best part? A buddy of mine wants half, so we are splitting it. He insisted on $20 lb for my "time and inconvenience". Ummmmmm. Okay.  
    Got a 19lbr for I think it was a tad under $11/lb for prime at Costco. So I think my 43 day old is going to cost me about $20 for Xmas

@JustineCaseyFeldown
    Question about meat grade and dry aging. I know you can dry any quality meat. We also know fat is where the flavor is. 
    So the question..... Is there a noticeable difference between a choice vs prime grade dry aged steak other than the fat content?  I know everyone's taste is different. But say I have 2 identical roasts on choice and one prime,  both aged 45 days, am I going to notice a difference once aged?

I am a firm believer that usually you get what you pay for, and I try to start with the best ingredients as possible. I also know you can make a great piece of meat not so good but a not so great  piece only so good.

Or maybe you want less fat when dry aging?

Just thinking as I am typing. I think you know I have done this several times, but I have always used prime.  Maybe choice is just as good in this case?

Thoughts?
    I don't have many options for USDA prime around here actually. I hist do choice, believe it or not. 

A fat cap is pretty standard with a seven bone in the original cryo. I wouldn't age without a nice cap of fat, so if you have a supermarket roast that has been trimmed to death (some people want that fat trimmed off), you may regret it. Too much exposed flesh (versus fat) can mean overdrying. Imagine a tenderloin after 6 weeks. It'd be a hard little stick of jerky

internal fat is where it's at. So prime is ideal. But you will see prohibitions on the web about not bothering to age if it isn't prime. That's not correct 

sure, more fat more flavor, but that is especially true with fresh beef. When you eat fresh red meat, you are tasting fat. Protein is flavorless. There's some anount of aging in all beef. But basically it is all about fat

but when you age meat, not only does the beef fat condense as you lose water, your formerly flavorless protein breaks down into amino acids, which are much more flavorful. 

So choice is just fine
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    but it had a face :s
    Sorry folks, i was logged in under my novelty 'zipplylip' account. Ignore that
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    enjoying this thread thanks for sharing!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Bump
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Been wanting to try this for a couple years now.  Looks like I've got New Years Eve dinner planned.  How much weight loss have you experienced?  I read somewhere you could lose 20% of the original weight?
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    20-25%

it's water. You won't miss it

don't trim. Trimming is where you really lose it
  • Hans61
    Options
    Consider me inspired although at this point it will only be a 33 day aged 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    nice.

you may need to sliver some from the "heel" ends of the roast.  those do dry out faster because of the wide expanse of exposed flesh.  the sides do better due to the fat cap.

• Hans61
    Options
    Took out the bottom drawers and shelf bones down fat cap up. This set up look okay?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    looks good to me.  take the temp of any liquid in the fridge (bottle of beer, etc.) to make doubly sure you are in the low 30s F.

only time it went bad for me was when for some reason i was 45+....

• Hans61
    Options
    Thanks for the tip will do!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options

Can of pop from shelf above meat was 37
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Lower is technically better , but that's fine
  • Hans61
    Options
    Plus the pop was in the middle of the fridge and the roast is on the bottom - thanks for all the advice!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looking good @Hans61. I applaude you for trying this.  :clap:  Lots of people do not have the guts.  Those that do, are rewarded!

FYI, it will go from red to dark red, to mahogany, to a deep purple to almost black.   All totally normal.  Also, I have never got more than a few drops in the pan, so do not expect much. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Looking good @Hans61. I applaude you for trying this.  :clap:  Lots of people do not have the guts.  Those that do, are rewarded!

FYI, it will go from red to dark red, to mahogany, to a deep purple to almost black.   All totally normal.  Also, I have never got more than a few drops in the pan, so do not expect much. 

Thanks for info! This is my first crack at dry aging. Been wanting to try for a while especially after seeing other threads on the topic. Will post to this thread Christmas Day results! 

My parents host Christmas (and my dad is just as excited as I am about this!) so he's paying me back for the roast so can't claim much bravery  ;)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looking good brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    No problem @Hans61 like most things,the first time doing something is when you are most uncertain. We will guide you through this.  Not that there is anything to do at this point, but make sure the meat stays cold.  That is your job from now to the day you are going to cook it. 

Then comes the cooking, and there you only have to remember that it will cook much faster due to low moisture.  But we have a few weeks to get to that point.....
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Great informative thread @JustineCaseyFeldown and is on my short list. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hans61
    Options
    Last night I put a glass of water down next to the roast to see what the temp was at the bottom of the fridge. Just checked at it was 32.9 so I'm pretty happy now :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I had been planning this for some time, and finally got it going 2 weeks ago. The work folks were going to throw out the small fridge there, because it wasn't holding temp properly. Saved it for my office, because I knew that folks weren't shutting the door completely, and it just needed to be defrosted. 

They bought a new one . And  now I have a small dry aging/curing fridge iny office. It gives me great joy to peek at this every morning , and does make my day better.

yes, I know it doesn't have much of a fat cap, but this is the first experimental run. I have another one going at home.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    nice.  you may get grief from people about air circulation.  it's less about that (you don't need circulating air, constantly moving), but you need freshness.  don't let it go stale.  might wanna open it and close it once in a while.  but if you don't smell mustiness, it won't be an issue.

only other potential issue here is the smallish size of the roast.  once you trim the heels of that loaf (the ends, exposed flesh), of maybe a quarter inch of jerky, you may find yourself with a really big steak rather than a small roast.

if i were going to dry-age that, looks like two-bone, i'd go a couple few weeks.  not much aging, and less drying, but still good.  will browan up beautifully.

i always recommend aging (if you are going long, like 45 days) the whole subprimal.  minimizes loss, because one end is very small, and the otherend is seven bones away.  in between is a lot of goodness.  usually a roast or two, and the rest steaks,

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    I've got one going into the fridge tonight for New Years weekend.  Quick question... I usually put rub on the night before I cook.  Looks like you're putting it on right before cooking?  Does it make a difference with the dry aging process?
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • caliking
    Options
    The one in my office is a 2-bone, the one at home is 3 bones. Went with smaller cuts on purpose since it's the first run. I peek at the office one twice daily, in the morning to start my day off right, and then before leaving to wish it well for the night, so it gets some air. The one at home is in the beer fridge. Somehow, it gets fresh air a   few times every evening.

I was planning on pulling the 2-bone at 3 weeks, and the 3-bone at 6 weeks. Will probably get a full rack and let it go for 6weeks later , if I know I can trust the small fridge in the office. 

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    caliking said:
    The one in my office is a 2-bone, the one at home is 3 bones. Went with smaller cuts on purpose since it's the first run. I peek at the office one twice daily, in the morning to start my day off right, and then before leaving to wish it well for the night, so it gets some air. The one at home is in the beer fridge. Somehow, it gets fresh air a   few times every evening.

I was planning on pulling the 2-bone at 3 weeks, and the 3-bone at 6 weeks. Will probably get a full rack and let it go for 6weeks later , if I know I can trust the small fridge in the office. 
    there you go.  i wouldn't change a thing

Wylecyot said:
    I've got one going into the fridge tonight for New Years weekend.  Quick question... I usually put rub on the night before I cook.  Looks like you're putting it on right before cooking?  Does it make a difference with the dry aging process?
    rub won't really stick to it.  it's dried.  you could rub the thing with wet hands, and then add salt and rub, and you would be fine.  the salt would still wick some water from the beef, even as dried as it is at the surface.  and you might get some flavor into the surface from the rub.  i frankly am not sure whether that actually happens with fresh beef (flavor penetrating).  salt, yes.

when i roast mine, i usually give a light coating of veg or olive oil (again, rub with the hands) and then sprinkle the seasoning on it to stick.

that fat is already going to begin browning IMMEDIATELY when it goes on.  and the oil is less about frying the surface than it is getting the rub to stick.  but i am sure it helps crisp things.

i'm a traditionalist in this area. roast beef was always traditionally about the crisp fat cap, and so that's my goal.  drying is the best thing for it. 

i would certainly tell you to add the rub if you want the day before.  but again, a light rub of enough water to get the salt and rub to stick is required, or the stuff will bounce right off.

if you are hoping for flavor to get 'into' the meat, don't adhere with pil as i do.  oil will be a barrier i htink to water being drawn out by the salt (which is what you want).  any water you use to adhere your rub will not be in the way, and will actually kick start the salt's job

• Hans61
    Options
    So open the fridge a couple times a day for fresh air?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    No. he had a small dorm sized fridge. Close, no real usage. 

I never open the fridge that i'm aging in. Maybe once every couple days max. And only when i need something that's in it
  • Hans61
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    No. he had a small dorm sized fridge. Close, no real usage. 

I never open the fridge that i'm aging in. Maybe once every couple days max. And only when i need something that's in it
    Good. It'll be kept closed as much as possible then!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • caliking
    Options
    A home fridge has better air circulation than the small dorm size ones. I open the office one twice daily. The beer fridge at home gets opened out of necessity.

• Hans61
    Options
    One week in temp in water glass 33 
    How's it looking?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf