Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A full day - and a walk on the dark side

it's been a great day cooking. With Thanksgiving looming ahead I needed to cook some grub for my ~ 30 ~ relatives I'll spend next week with. I borrowed an offset cooker (gasp!) to double smoke some hams. I figured while I was at it I might as well cook a pork butt...
Started early and got the butt on.

While the butt was rolling along I baked the loaf of bread I started last night. 

Here's the smoker in the daylight. It's not fancy - and it eats wood - but it works. 

After lunch I put the hams on to catch some smoke. 

Afew beers later here we are:

This may be one of the best pork butts I've ever cooked. 

After all that I had to have something to eat for my wife and me. So we threw a ham steak on the smoker, baked some butternut squash, and cooked some taters.

Now I'm chillin' by the fire with the love of my life. Life is good. 

Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Nice looking stuff!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Nice looking stuff!  
    It's been a good day. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @SGH If butts cooked on an offset are always this good I'm gonna hafta spend some money. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks like a damn fine day to me!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Yes! That's my kind of day right there. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I love days like that.

mine has kind of sucked today. Wife has been sick all day and I pulled something in my shoulder or neck so I can barely turn my head. But better days will come.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Great post! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker @SaintJohnsEgger To top it all off the weather was perfect - about 35 degrees at daylight - warmed into the 60s - sunshine and almost no wind. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Great day and cook there!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie said:
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker @SaintJohnsEgger To top it all off the weather was perfect - about 35 degrees at daylight - warmed into the 60s - sunshine and almost no wind. 
    Supposed to get into the 30s tonight and tomorrow night here in NE Florida. Bought a gas fire pit a few weeks ago so maybe we can put it to use tomorrow night.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Use what tools are available to get the job done.  Great cook and results.  And yes the stick burner will eat the wood but that's the nature of the beast (says he who has only been enjoying the experience for about six weeks).  
    But the experience could lead to " I need another BGE conversation."  Go for it!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @SciAggie
    Brother, I missed this when it was first posted. I haven't been on the forum much as of late. With that said, I have seen it now my friend. And as such:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    @SGH Thank you kindly. I had fun playing with that big offset. It eats wood with a voracious appetite, but also turns out some good food. Dag nabit - makes me want to order that Lone Star Grillz vertical offset again. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Damn man, hellacious cook!!  Amazing display of bbq talent.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Top Shelf Cook!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SciAggie
    @bgebrent Thank you - just trying to keep up with all the amazing stuff your putting out lately, lol. I have the week off for Thanksgiving and it was fun spending a day cooking and puttering around the kitchen. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I wish I could putter like you brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    @tikigriller Thank you kindly. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Wow.....a great day with the smoker for sure......and you can't beat snuggling with your sweetie by an open fire. Cheers!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Good lookin' spread, nice post.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SciAggie
    @northGAcock @Focker Thanks y'all. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Nicely done! That ham steak is amazing!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX