Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What I'm doing for my first turkey. All suggestions are welcome.

Options
I just bought my very first turkey, a 11.5 pound bird, and here is what I plan on doing for Thanksgiving:
* Dry brining with salt, allspice, rosemary, thyme, and pepper for around 24+ hours in the fridge and then smearing it with butter
* Spatchcocking the bird
* Setting the egg (minimax) to 330 F with applewood chips and a drip pan with 3 cups of apple cider, 3 cups apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 a yellow onion
* Smoking the bird until it comes to an internal temperature of 165 on the breast.

Any suggestions on anything I should do different? Any thoughts on how long it will take? Thanks!

Comments

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You're going to be tempted to put on too many applewood chips.   It doesn't take much for poultry.  I have re-discovered this a couple of times.  I'm using Ozark Oak, and haven't added any chips or chunks the last couple of times.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Do you have a large egg available? The grid may be too close to he lump, based on a recent thread. Especially if you don't have a stone or platesetter for an indirect 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    And go for 150-155 temp in the breast. Much better results.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    caliking said:
    And go for 150-155 temp in the breast. Much better results.
    Agree and go light on the smoking chips.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • enderw30
    Options
    It will be on indirect, I have a woo and stone accidentally left that part out. Thanks for the suggestions I'll make sure I go light on the smoke! Isn't the worry that the dark meat won't be done if I go to a temp of 150 on the breast?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    That is why I just cut the legs off of the turkey that I have marinating now. That way I can pull the breast off at 150 to 155F and the legs at 165F. It goes on the grill as quick after daybreak as I can get it up to temp. My extended family Thanksgiving dinner is at 1 p.m. tomorrow(sunday).
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    That's a ton of liquid. What are you trying to get from it ?? The vinegar won't be good in the gravy. And in that small grill with that jam packed turkey you will have a huge heat sink with 6 plus cups of liquid. 

Also- I think your pushing you luck with a turkey that size in a minimax myself. 

Err on the side of less smoke as well. I normally do a 8 pound breast smoked as an addition to our meal and find that two chunks is plenty. In fact it's still going when I pull it. 

Good luck 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax