Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax or Mini-Meh?

Options

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    god I need a nap. Valentina's put me on my knees. So good though.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That is one helluva beef rib. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That's sweet that you and VI shared a rib. Which one of you was "Lady" and which one was "The Tramp"? 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    Options
    caliking said:
    Great. Just great.  I had just convinced myself that SWMBO needed a MM for Xmas (Read: I want a MM for Xmas). 

I cooked 20 whole wings (minus the tips) on my Weber Jumbo Joe this past weekend at the pig farm, and 4 on @20stone 's MM. I did note that the ones on the MM got more char on them, and quicker, than intended. Had to flip them more than the ones on the JJ. The JJ chugged along at about the right pace. I figured it was because the MM was more "squat" with the meat closer to the heat. I had forgotten what a great cooker the JJ is, and the 18" grid is a plus.

Was planning on selling the small and mini, to justify the MM. Just goes to show that it may not always be the best idea to downsize, or indulge in rational thought. May have to mull the MM acquisition over a bit more.  
    Go medium.  That is my workhorse egg ... wouldn't trade my XL or MM, but the medium is probably the perfect size.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    bud812 said:

Have you ever tried running the damn thing sober?
    He does his best work after he's been marinated a fair bit. Sober would be devastating.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @caliking Agree only especially since I have no idea of what your kind of Naan is (but, interested in learning different cultures).  
    Regarding the BBQ though...

I'm trying desperately to not hijack this thread , so I'll just leave this here.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200110/the-relentless-naan-thread-long/p1

Its sort of a pet project/ peeve of mine. A work in progress.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bud812 said:

Have you ever tried running the damn thing sober?
    No. If that's the problem then I have miniMax for sale. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That was the very best meat I have ever had. Your brisket being a close second. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mickey said:
    That was the very best meat I have ever had. Your brisket being a close second. 
    You are too kind. The brisket has goetten better but valentina's still wins. 100% Mesquite too. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I think we can all agree that Valentina's brisket is incredible. Seriously might be the best I've had. 

Not trying to appear stupid, but who or what is Valentina's??? Seems like I have heard her/it mentioned before. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    I love my MM.  Here's today's lunch while watching the UM v NC State game...Bison burger w/ sautéed onions and mushrooms w/ provolone...
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    since I replaced my gasket (Rutland - RRP) I have had better results. It did take some time to get dialed in compared to my XL but I have done 2 beef tenderloins and they came out great.  Also cooked, burgers, pizza, chicken (thighs, wings) steak.  I like it and travel with it often.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited November 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    I think we can all agree that Valentina's brisket is incredible. Seriously might be the best I've had. 

Not trying to appear stupid, but who or what is Valentina's??? Seems like I have heard her/it mentioned before. 

BBQ trailer in the parking lot of a conoco and vape shop. Might be the best bbq in all of Austin
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I would love to hit that joint!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    I would love to hit that joint!
    So good. I took home 2 lbs of sausage- 1lb jalapeno cheddar and 1 original (both beef sausage with pork fat). It didn't make it through the night. The tacos are incredible too. Brisket, Egg, Potato, and Cheese tacos? Yes Please. 
  • SGH
    Options
     Might be the best bbq in all of Austin
    I did a little Googling, a lot of folks certainly agree with the above statement. Honest question, in an apples to apples comparison, do you prefer it over Franklins?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SGH said:
    I did a little Googling, a lot of folks certainly agree with the above statement. Honest question, in an apples to apples comparison, do you prefer it over Franklins?
    When John took me, it was just about a tie. This was last November so I'm certain they have improved. If I recall, it's where Franklin eats brisket.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Considering I get to eat here often and Frankin's is every 2 years or so, I do like it better. I can tell you that I do have a fairly recent comparison- @20stone and I went to Southern Smoke in Houston and Aaron was cooking down there. We got a taste of his and it was good not great. Now this was in a parking lot, with 44 farms meat (excellent quality but not his normal product) and a brand new trailer smoker that he just built. Compared to that bite, Valentina's was way better. I've had his stuff at the shop though and it is otherworldly. I think Valentina's is right there with him though and you can eat in 5 minutes. I actually heard about Valentin'as from a quote from Aaron in a magazine down here. He said the only place he eats bbq is Valentina's. Pretty high praise. I would say it's better just because it's accessible for people to actually eat. It's absolutely incredible and would certainly be a debate as to who's is better side by side. I send everyone to Valentina's just so they can eat and get on with their day (If they can stay awake after)

• SGH
    Options
    @Eggcelsior @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    For both of y'all to speak so highly of it, I have no doubt that it is great. It's going on the bucket list for sure. 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Eggcelsior @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    For both of y'all to speak so highly of it, I have no doubt that it is great. It's going on the bucket list for sure. 
    Dylan and I did put a hurtin' on a pile of brisket there last year. Forgot about that. He's had Franklin's too
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Decided to move on from the MM. If anyone local wants to work a deal we can. Otherwise I'll sell it online. I'll sell it all together or part it out. 

Extras:

smokeware thermo
    woo
    wok
    stones (2)
    platesetter
    cast iron grid

we can talk price off line. PM me. I'm not shipping anything...probably. 

all the extras have 3 cooks on them. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I really only use mine when we're at the beach.  I've smoked and grilled on it.  No problems.  But then I'm not some kind of barbecue snowflake.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I have a first run model and it's okay. Cooks fine- takes a while to heat up but it's all stock. Need the hi que grate. I have a woo. It's nice. My platesetter fits like **** in it though. 

It's a solid grill. Okay smoker. We travel with it sometimes. Mostly just an object on my patio as my large does the grunt work. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Seems like most folks are using the MM to grill. I'd rather have a $30 weber mini Smokey Joe and $500 in my pocket. No blown discs in your back either...
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I've now got six 'working' Eggs here at the Chicken Ranch.  The oldest is Lily Large, circa 1999, which I used yesterday to cook some really good chili in a Dutch Oven. After not being cooked on in at least six months, she fired right up and climbed steadily to temperature quickly like she always did, even back before she cracked up.

Meanwhile, I lit Mini Maxine, using lump from the same bag.  

Both Eggs were cleaned out and replaced with hand-sorted pieces, making sure there was plenty of air flow.

I used a BGE fire starter square in each one.  

Lily Large only had a standard fire grate while Mini Maxine had a Kick Ash basket.

The Daisy Wheels were off and the bottom vents were fully open.

After fifteen minutes, Lily Large was at 400° and still climbing when I slowed her down, while Mini Maxine was just under 200° and sort of stalled.  I had to get the hand-crank air blower to get Mini Maxine hotter but she never got to 300° before I shut her down.  

I was tempted to go get a rasp and see if I could enlarge the lower air intake hole, but I decided against it.  

The Large Eggs (I have three) and my Mini Egg never give me a problem starting up, but the Small and the Mini-Max Eggs both give me problems.  I suspect for the same reason - too small an air intake port at the bottom.

That being said, when I start to think about reducing my Egg collection, the Small and the Mini-Max are at the head of the line.

Just saying...

Spring "I Hate Things That Don't Work" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Regarding the SBGE - right out of the gate I went with the Hi-que grate for the small.  Biggest challenge is keeping it throttled for a L&S cook.  No issues with quickly getting to temp.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I really only use mine when we're at the beach.  I've smoked and grilled on it.  No problems.  But then I'm not some kind of barbecue snowflake.
    We can't all be steely-eyed killers like you. #dreams
  • 19Sunny45
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I must admit I was in the same camp as @The Cen-Tex Smoker when I first got my MM. Cooked a few items both direct and direct. Had hell with temp control going wild. Then as most have, I went to work with trial and error cooks to figure out what was going on.
    First thing was to remove the lower vent on apply a complete seal of clear silicon on the back and not just the the tid bit on top and bottom edge. Then tighten the screen and cover door by increasing the bend to tighten both in the tracks.
    Next was to get a better seal between the base and dome. Had to adjust both bands a few times once the gasket settled in.
    Then got the CGS Woo. Worked with it for a while them asked Tom add handles to keep the grid from spinning and add some round bar S/S to the bottom 3 contact points to give me a bit more height so I did not have any play when using the plate setter. It sets on the woo structure and not the fire ring. And increase the distance between the grid and plate setter.
    And the final was to replace the poor fitting stock cooking grate. I had a custom 3/8 S/S bar at 1/2" spacing made to fit my Woo with handles.
    Now I can do both a direct and indirect cook at 230-250, if needed, with great temp control in all temp ranges.
    Now I'm extremely happy with it!

@Hotch what sealer did you use to reseal the lower vent with? I can't seem to find a high temp sealer. I think the leaking vent is the heart of my temp rapture control problem.