Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking a 6.5lb butt overnight. What is the best way to finish the cook and then "pull apart" the butt when done?[p]Thanks in advance for the advice.[p]

Comments

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    Steakhead,
    Take to 195 - wrap in foil and place in cooler - pull after rest of at least one hour.[p]GOOD EATS!

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks - what do you use to "pull apart"? Will wrapping the butt and placing in the fridge work as well as a cooler?[p]Thanks a lot.
  • Meinbmw
    Options
    steakhead,
    Pull apart with two forks, tongs, etc ... do not refrigerate! Wrap in foil - wrap that package in newspaper or towels - rest in beer cooler to trap the heat for one hour or more.[p]Pull while still hot/warm for best results.

• Meinbmw
    Options
    steakhead,
    I think some folks wear rubber gloves and just pull the pork by hand - this way you can pick out and discard the undesireable bone/fat that may be left over

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Steakhead,
    I use Bear Claws to pull apart my pulled pork. They work great !! As for as the cooler like meinbmw siad just take a regular cooler and warm it up first with hot water. Just before you are ready to pull your butt off the egg drain the water from the cooler and give it a quick wipe down. Wrap the pork butt in foil and then in old towels and place it in the cooler. I have kept my butts in a warm cooler for 4 - 5 hrs. and when you ake them out they are just as hot as when you put them in.

[ul][li]Bear Claws[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    Steakhead,[p]I am afraid that I may be too late to help this time, but ...[p]I am lazy and have burned too many fingers pulling pork when hot. I finally got wise and now get the job done quickly and simply. I put the dough hook on my Kitchen Aid mixer and take one butt at a time and remove bone, any fatty material, and any less than perfect meat (save for beans). I put the good stuff in the mixer on the lowest speed and get the next butt ready. The first is done before the I can get the next one done. I did 8 butts this weekend and had them packaged in less than 1/2 hour after removing from egg![p]It is lots more fun to tell people how hard it is to stay up all night cooking (I sleep well and the egg does its job) and then the time tending the fire with smoking materials (I never open a lid once started) and then the agony of pulling by hand (not any more). The toughest part is getting the sandwich up to my mouth! ;-0[p]BillT