Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So...Ummm...What's Mothership Gonna Do?

Options

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Do you really think things weren't made in Mexico or Canada prior to Nafta? The ceramics are fired at Daltile plant down there. I don't believe it is a dedicated production plant. I'm pretty sure they mostly make ceramic tile. If i were you I would curl up in the fetal position in a dark corner and suck my thumb. 
    There are many types of tile made in Monterrey. They aren't going to retool in America. 
    Exactly. I agree. 
    It's a tiny part of an eight billion dollar business.  Not gonna happen. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Do you really think things weren't made in Mexico or Canada prior to Nafta? The ceramics are fired at Daltile plant down there. I don't believe it is a dedicated production plant. I'm pretty sure they mostly make ceramic tile. If i were you I would curl up in the fetal position in a dark corner and suck my thumb. 
    There are many types of tile made in Monterrey. They aren't going to retool in America. 
    Exactly. I agree. 
    It's a tiny part of an eight billion dollar business.  Not gonna happen. 
    Again, I agree. It's a convenient side job.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    bobroo said:
    Can anybody suggest a different country that has has good clay as a natural resource and doesn't pay it's people much?
    Besides Mexico, kamados are already made in China, .....
    That's Gina Hillary....Gina.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    BGE is not going to be effected. What about the hundred s of thousands of cars that are built in Mexico and then brought here to the United States to sell. Not sure if your car was built in Mexico?  Look at your Vin number. If it starts with a 3 it's built in Mexico. 

1,4 or 5-USA
    2-Canada
    j-japan
    w-Germany
    s-england
    k-south Korea 
    y- finland

many cars get built in Mexico. Nobody is going to screw with that.  Cars are just one example of thousands. Many of those companies that build things in Mexico still create tons of jobs in America to sell their products. 

Trump is more talk than what will actually happen. Don't read too much into everything he spoke of. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I think they are making their money on accessories, starters, cookbooks, lump etc. I am not too worried about them. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Go to Laredo, Tx and look what comes across the border to the US. That is just 1 border town, go to California and look at produce fields and workers. There is no way the US can survive as we know it without Mexican labor, face it Americans are lazy and we depend on the Mexican labor. And yes, I voted for Trump we do need a change but, how? what? 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    I don't think this is any type of major issue for the company.  

If I were BGE I would be more worried about competitors.  The BGE comes with a base price that is on the high side and includes nothing with it.

They are relying too heavily on brand recognition and are not innovating like other companies. My friend bought her family's first kamado a month ago and BGE was never in competition for her money. 
    VA Beach
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    bobroo said:
    Can anybody suggest a different country that has has good clay as a natural resource and doesn't pay it's people much?
    Poland!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,038
    Options
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Let's not buy into the anti Trump hysteria.  

The same media who have been consistently wrong about everything for the last 18 months are the same ones trying to convince everyone now that the sky is falling.  

A good company rolls with the punches every single day.  It takes more than one nail to seal a coffin.
    Phoenix 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @VB_egger has identified an even greater challenge for the BGE headshed.  Standing still means you are losing ground to the competition. I worked for a  company that spent too much time resting on its laurels, failed to innovate, or respond to market shifts and the competition eventually hammered it.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Dobie said:
    @NPHuskerFL just saying he's backing off a lot of his hard lines he used to get elected already and he not even sworn in yet. Told HC and the world he would prosecute and put her in prison but now says he doesn't want to hurt the Clintons and they're fine people and appreciates their service. He tapped the anger of people and said lots of things to get elected and will now not do. Politicians lie whenever their mouth is moving. More American jobs would be great but this billionaires got investments overseas that he's not going to harm. 
    And the torch and pitch fork crowd that got him elected will be sorely disappointed once Mr. Trump runs into the stone wall of reality and the Constitution. It will not be "his way or the highway" as he expects running a business. 

Most people can't see beyond the TV news sound byte and believe the internet is true. Politicians count on this abject ignorance.

Welcome to another very ineffective and waffling presidency.....with a foreign policy intellectual vacuum at the helm.

It's going to be a very rough 4 years............... :|
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    But it sure beats the alternative, BIG TIME.
    AMEN! 
    Snellville, GA

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    lousubcap said:
     I worked for a  company that spent too much time resting on its laurels, failed to innovate, or respond to market shifts and the competition eventually hammered it.  FWIW- 
    The Navy? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Not exactly-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I don't see this topic taking off honestly .  Too many big time companies play into this field. Globalization diversity isn't going away as it helps Trump's bottom line too. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    The same company that produces ceramics for BGE also produces particle board for IKEA, although in the US, ironically. Produced carpet for world wide distribution, ceramic tile in the US, Mexico, Russia, Italy and China. Vinyl and LVT in the US. Hardwood in the US and Indonisea. Laminate in the us and Belgium. Has interest in Bulgaria and Luxumberg. Y'all can RELAX. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    BGE should be in the US. I believe United States companies should put country first, sadly $ focks it up.

Pure capatilism is greed, greed is human nature, so it makes sense to have an incentive based model.

The difficult part is aligning the checks and balances to make capitalism sustainable, and not turn our country into banana republic, (protect the middle class) even though some would argue we already are...
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    BGE should be in the US. I believe United States companies should put country first, sadly $ focks it up.

Pure capatilism is greed, greed is human nature, so it makes sense to have an incentive based model.

The difficult part is aligning the checks and balances to make capitalism sustainable, and not turn our country into banana republic, (protect the middle class) even though some would argue we already are...
    BGE doesn't make the ceramics. They've been made in Mexico for a very long time by a different company. I can't speak for other components, but I don't think they actually manufacture a thing. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    @theyolksonyou Thinking I should have read previous posts before sounding off, oh well almost Friday :-) 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Dobie said:
    @NPHuskerFL just saying he's backing off a lot of his hard lines he used to get elected already and he not even sworn in yet. Told HC and the world he would prosecute and put her in prison but now says he doesn't want to hurt the Clintons and they're fine people and appreciates their service. He tapped the anger of people and said lots of things to get elected and will now not do. Politicians lie whenever their mouth is moving. More American jobs would be great but this billionaires got investments overseas that he's not going to harm. 
    And the torch and pitch fork crowd that got him elected will be sorely disappointed once Mr. Trump runs into the stone wall of reality and the Constitution. It will not be "his way or the highway" as he expects running a business. 

Most people can't see beyond the TV news sound byte and believe the internet is true. Politicians count on this abject ignorance.

Welcome to another very ineffective and waffling presidency.....with a foreign policy intellectual vacuum at the helm.

If all Trump does in his entire presidency is put conservatives on the Supreme Court I will be happy happy happy.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

BGE can source a low cost ceramic cooker with built in cooler..seriously they should partner with Kohler corporation up here in Kohler Wisconsin .....Kohler has done ceramics for years..also Volrath cookware is 5 miles from them....matter of fact Johnsonville brats are 5 miles in the other direction...life is pretty good

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Dobie said:

If all Trump does in his entire presidency is put conservatives on the Supreme Court I will be happy happy happy.
    I'm with you on that. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • bcsnave
    Options
    Who is this Trump guy everyone is talking about????

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Trump was all for conservative judges during the election. I would not get hopes too high! My guess is he accepting resumes on judges who can put the most money in his pocket.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    No Mikee, Trump is all about the lump, center cut lump. His best friend Vlad sends him all he needs. He is on the roof of his building almost every night firing it up. He goes through it the way Tony Montana went through the powder.
  • bcsnave
    Options
    Donnine donnie donnie .... whay estás tomando la comida de la boca de mi pequeña bahía de Juan .. Quiero construir el Ford pinto para los pueblos americanos

Glenbeulah, WI