Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked base still safe to use?

Options
Discovered this crack during my brisket cook yesterday. With Thanksgiving right around the corner I don't know if I'll be able to get a replacement in time for turkey day.   Wondering if it would be possible to use the cracked base worst-case scenario? 
Edina, MN

Comments

• coomdaddy
    Options
    I'm gonna pass on using it, but I'm just one guy.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    This could go either way but I wouldn't risk it.  The down-side far far outweighs the upside.  If you do decide to use it, when you can, see if the crack goes completely thru the ceramics, move the propane tank, get a couple of manly fire extinguishers and a pressurized water hose in stand-by.  Don't leave the BGE and pace the adult beverages.  2 1/2 weeks til Thanksgiving.  Press your dealer for an immediate replacement.  Just an opinion. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • coomdaddy
    Options
    And move the propane tank.
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend using it.  I agree with @lousubcap and suggest asking your local BGE dealer about a replacement.
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area
  • Little Steven
    Options

I would move the propane tank

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I'd talk to whoever for warranty asap to see if you can get a replacement before turkey day. As for using it with a crack, I'd wheel it out away from the house and keep using it. The crack could have been there the last year and you may have never noticed it. Better safe than sorry but if it comes to crunch time at Thanksgiving, I'd be using it somewhere somehow
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I just noticed you're in Edina. I'll probably be at my parents who have an egg or my sister's place who has a Kamado Joe. I can always use my XL if I find myself around here for Thanksgiving. I'll steal my base off my large egg for you if it doesnt sound like it will be in before Thanksgiving. No big deal for me any. I'm only a few minutes down the road
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    @WeberWho thanks for the offer.   You have actually been here with some Rockwood.   I'm going to talk with Warner Stellian today and see what their time table is to get a replacement. 
    Edina, MN

• WeberWho
    Options
    Sorry P, I didn't even connect the dots. Good luck with Warner. I emailed them with some warranty replacement work (where I bought my large) and they basically said here's the email for the mothership, good luck. The warranty department was little help. I emailed an old BGE rep who helped me with warranty the last go around who is based out of South Dakota. No luck this go around. So I'm right there with you on warranty work through Warner. Let me know if you hear anything different.

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Absolutely not. That's an accident waiting to happen. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Thats a little more than.a hairline...i wouldnt heat that one up...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Move the propane tank now... and leave it moved after you get a new base.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    This is what happened when my base cracked. Could have been a disaster!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    Working on the warranty, won't be fired up until a new base is acquired.   
    Edina, MN

• Carolina Q
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Could still be. You should never use a grill, generator or any other Carbon Monoxide producing device near a window or door. I have read that 15' is the minimum distance. I have also read that that's not enough. I don't know what distance is safe, but I certainly wouldn't gamble with 5 INCHES!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Carolina_Q -TWSS   ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Carolina_Q -TWSS   ;)
    Sorry, man.... :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I just noticed you're in Edina. I'll probably be at my parents who have an egg or my sister's place who has a Kamado Joe. I can always use my XL if I find myself around here for Thanksgiving. I'll steal my base off my large egg for you if it doesnt sound like it will be in before Thanksgiving. No big deal for me any. I'm only a few minutes down the road
    @WeberWho What a generous offer.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Glad you're replacing and not lighting that egg @Budgeezer

I've had a cracked base for a while, but it's barely a hairline across the bottom with zero separation or movement.  No way I would risk with that crack in yours.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Eggnation is a brotherhood!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    if you can't get a replacement in time stick it out in the back yard & fire it up, it'll be fine & even if not what's it gonna hurt out there provided you use common sense (don't light it up next to the house then go Christmas shopping for 9 hours)
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options

I bought a LBGE secondhand many years ago and after moving across town last December noticed a crack that goes completely across the base, up to the vent hole, and it picks itself back up above the vent hole and continues another 4 inches.  Its ridiculous how this thing is still intact and yes.. I am nervous.  But I've been cooking on it all summer, 2-3 times per week.  It's stationary now (used to have a cypress cart) so I just baby it and keep a watchful eye on it but yeah, one of these days its gonna split.  Too bad these things aren't truly lifetime warranted where it could transfer to secondary owners.

Maybe I'll get a new one soon, or maybe I'll pick up a KJ.  I was joking with my wife last Saturday about how "funny" it would be if it collapsed with a 20lb turkey on the patio.  She didn't laugh.

Strongsville, OH

• Budgeezer
    Options
    @WeberWho I ended up calling BGE and talking with Bruce I also contacted Warners Stellian.  Warner called me today and said that they were able to expedite the process and will be out next Wednesday to install the new base.  I'm guessing that Bruce most likely expedited the whole process based on my concern of having it available for Thanksgiving.  Which wasn't really that big of a concern prior to owning the BGE I had been making turkeys on my Weber kettle for years.

Warranty FTW!

Again thanks for your generous offer!
    Edina, MN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It took me almost a month to get my XL base replacement. Once I saw the crack, I quit using it. Too much risk fr so little gain. Fortunately I have two BGEs, and the Mini MAX was held at hero status for the duration.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Budgeezer said:
    @WeberWho I ended up calling BGE and talking with Bruce I also contacted Warners Stellian.  Warner called me today and said that they were able to expedite the process and will be out next Wednesday to install the new base.  I'm guessing that Bruce most likely expedited the whole process based on my concern of having it available for Thanksgiving.  Which wasn't really that big of a concern prior to owning the BGE I had been making turkeys on my Weber kettle for years.

Warranty FTW!

Again thanks for your generous offer!
    Good to know @Budgeezer Thanks. Too bad about Warner and their lack of effort of helping out a customer. Dan is top notch down at Appliance Sales and Service in Shakopee. They've been excellent with warranty work with my small and he's all around good guy. 

Minnesota
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Could still be. You should never use a grill, generator or any other Carbon Monoxide producing device near a window or door. I have read that 15' is the minimum distance. I have also read that that's not enough. I don't know what distance is safe, but I certainly wouldn't gamble with 5 INCHES!
    I moved it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Pretty sure that rule refers to an open door or window. Closed ones should not be a problem unless they have bad air leaks.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Budgeezer
    Options
    Problem solved new base installed by the dealer today. 
    Edina, MN