Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Code Red Air Quality Alert Atlanta

Options
bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
This is rare for us, rare bad air outside spring tree pollen season.  We so need rain.  Any of y'all got a good rain dance you could post for us to help would be appreciated.  I'm counting on @Eggcelsior!  Thanks for looking.
Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited November 2016
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    This is rare for us, rare bad air outside spring tree pollen season.  We so need rain.  Any of y'all got a good rain dance you could post for us to help would be appreciated.  I'm counting on @Eggcelsior!  Thanks for looking.
    Illinois I think have some excess moisture issues. In fact ,  it's playing havoc with BBQ rubs. Something about clumping? I dunno.  Maybe they can aid with a dance?

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Really do need rain all across the south. We got some the other day, which helped a little, nothing on the level south of us. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ^^^^^ well played-the clumping deal. 
    But the Southeast fire issue is right there with the near annual deals in the Southwest.  Don't phque with Mother Nature-although her audience is certainly expanding.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    ^^^^^ well played.  
    But the Southeast fire issue is right there with the near annual deals in the Southwest.  Don't phque with Mother Nature-although her audience is certainly expanding.
    Hence my second, serious post. Fire stations in my area were in route to help yesterday .  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    There's just so much more fuel on the east coast to keep those fires burning. Unfortunately very few people do proactive burns, so the amount of underbrush is astonishing. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Illinois I think have some excess moisture issues. In fact ,  it's playing havoc with BBQ rubs. Something about clumping? I dunno.  Maybe they can aid with a dance?

Let me ask Brandon, he's usually in touch!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @Focker, have you had any moisture issues?  I'm hoping for a moist turkey!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    There's just so much more fuel on the east coast to keep those fires burning. Unfortunately very few people do proactive burns, so the amount of underbrush is astonishing. 
    This has been a problem with BLM's policies here in the West for as long as I've been alive; the natural cycle is FOR a good fire to go sweeping through once in awhile, it clears out the brush, older trees, and deadfall (and even allows the lodgepole pine to scatter their seeds!)  By extinguishing those fires it only allows the fuel supply to build up, with disastrous effects.  
    With the higher population density in the SE, I don't know what the answer is, I just hope everyone stays safe.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bgebrent
    Options
    Botch said:
    lousubcap said:
    This has been a problem with BLM's policies here in the West for as long as I've been alive; the natural cycle is FOR a good fire to go sweeping through once in awhile, it clears out the brush, older trees, and deadfall (and even allows the lodgepole pine to scatter their seeds!)  By extinguishing those fires it only allows the fuel supply to build up, with disastrous effects.  
    With the higher population density in the SE, I don't know what the answer is, I just hope everyone stays safe.  
    Not so different here.  Usually less burn with less frequency.  Needing rain brother.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Where's John' where's Matt?  We can't breathe!  
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Landed tonight back here in Columbia....First thing I noticed when I stepped off the plane. I can only imagine the impact the closer you get to it. Very sad an impactful to many a fine folk. Going with LED Zep's Rain Song.....cause I can't dance.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    This is the real deal.. Brothers and Sisters in the South stay safe.. Brent make sure that ash mat is properly in place at the Lake..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    The Atlanta area has been storing up those pine needles for too long.

They will only burn once and then this will all be over.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    210 wildfires in Kentucky since October, 73 of the 120 counties have a burn ban in place. 25 significant wildfires are being battled right now with 400 firefighters, the governor is calling in the National Guard. Over 25,000 acres have been consumed thus far in the major fires. Many of the others, contained in remote forest areas, have been left to burn, no numbers available on acres consumed in those unattended fires. Eastern Kentucky is getting the worst of it.
    We feel your pain.
    Smoke has suffocated several counties here, closing schools, and businesses, and localized evacuations are starting.
    Supposed to get some rain this weekend.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    From the Biblical point of view it's the end time! From the Scientific view it's a cleansing of the forest! I hope it rains sooner than later and the loss to us mortals is minimal.  

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• PirateBill
    Options
    Air quality is bad up here in Knoxville also, playing havoc on my sinuses.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @Focker, have you had any moisture issues?  I'm hoping for a moist turkey!
    Yes, was considering adding nystatin powder to my Holy Clump.

In all seriousness, as an outdoorsman, and advocate of spending time in the timber, I will gladly dance, naked in my backyard even, if it puts out the fires in your neck of the woods.  

Would sicken me to see images of all that beautiful pine go up in flames on the national news.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bobroo
    Options
    bobroo said:

Yeah, since like, 1864 or something.
    BUUUUHAHAHAHA!
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Man, wish we could send some rain your way, the South East really needs it. Since the week of September 26th, you can count the number of rain free days we've had on the fingers of one hand. Looking pruny is getting to be quite fashionable. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Us folks here in Southern California want to know...what is this rain you speak of??
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It is the stuff that causes mudslides in California.
    "Don't worry about the wildfires, the mudslides will put them out."
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Wylecyot said:
    Us folks here in Southern California want to know...what is this rain you speak of??

Rain is a mystical creature, much like Rockwood charcoal out on the left coast.....

Some counties have even banned outdoor cooking/grilling/smokers/charcoal use because of the burn risk.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bgebrent
    Options
    @DaveRichardson, the eggs burn on brother.
  • PirateBill
    Options
    @DaveRichardson FIGHT THE POWER!!!!

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• bobroo
    Options
    bobroo said:

It's a full day later and I'm STILL laughing at your remark!

Touche'
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bobroo said:
    bobroo said:

It's a full day later and I'm STILL laughing at your remark!

Touche'
    He's a bitter Baltimoron  ;). His prime pit beef...wish I had JIC's holy mother of god meme. Not smart enough.