Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat side up or down?

Options
Okay I know I'm stepping in it here but I want to know what you think.  

I'm doing another brisket this weekend (just purchased my FB200) and I've always done fat side up.  They've always come out well but I'm starting to think fat side down may be the way to go.

From what I understand the fat should point to the hottest portion of the cooker.  That being said, where is there more heat?  Above the grill surface, hitting the meat convectively or from the heat source below (yes, I use the plate setter)?

If you're going to say something about the fat rendering and dripping into the meat, it's actually not true.  Fat will just leak down the sides from the top it doesn't get absorbed.  

Chime in!

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Fat down
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Platesetter with nothing between it and the brisket?  Or platesetter with an air gapped drip pan between it and the brisket?  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• drgordon
    Options
    Platesetter with nothing between it and the brisket?  Or platesetter with an air gapped drip pan between it and the brisket?  
    I use an air gapped drip pan with nothing in it.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    They say it won't render into the meat, just go off of the side like you said. However if it does, it would still be like an automatic spritz for you and per Aaron Franklin moist meat attracts more smoke. (Think I read that in his book) I could be wrong. 

Either way works. I go fat up. Always works for me. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    They say it won't render into the meat, just go off of the side like you said. However if it does, it would still be like an automatic spritz for you and per Aaron Franklin moist meat attracts more smoke. (Think I read that in his book) I could be wrong. 

Either way works. I go fat up. Always works for me. 
    Aaron also says oil (aka liquid fat) blocks smoke.

(I have zero brisket experience so far, but I just finished his book so it's fresh on my mind!)
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    yes
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Try the Schrodingers method. Its the best thing next to boiling them. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Fat Down....why....read an article a few years ago....most of heat will be on the bottom...as the fat heats up, the meat above is cooler......this creates a wicking action that will suck the fat/juices up and into the meat much the same way as soldering....just my $0.02
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I go fat side down, it's easier getting the brisket off the grill (doesn't stick as bad plus I scrap the fat off any way after its cooked)
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    I did my first brisket last week fat side down. It turned out great.

XL BGE
    MD
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I've done both. But I generally do it fat side up with the thought that doing it up the fat would help keep the meat moist and juicy. Sounds like my thinking was wrong and I'll do my next one fat down.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• jbjet45
    Options
    I watched myron mixon on tv say he trims all the fat off (not so much it doesn't look nice) because you can't get that rub flavor into the meat through the fat.  He said the Fat has zero chance of helping the meat be jucier.  So said Myron, or his kid possibly, they were both on that episode.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Not to hijack this, but I've wondered fat up or down for slicing?  I've seen Aaron try and jiggle the brisket to find the seam of where to switch from cutting vertically to horizonatally.  Does that mean to cook it fat side down, and slice it fat side up? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have done them both ways. I have had great results with both. I prefer fat side down because I cheat. I inject. It seems easier to do with the fat side down. Only reason why I do it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Ford or Chevy???
    I tried one of each on the same cook sometime back.
    No discernable difference.
  • drgordon
    Options
    Fat side down does also give you an opportunity to spritz the meat side which is more prone to drying.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I just did a Fat Up and came out great. I hope to get spacers for christmas (on my list) so I can get a little space between the Stone and Drip Pan.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    @JMCXL -  if you can't wait for the Xmas surprise, grab some foil and make 3 balls or stack some pennies, washers or get some threaded nuts from the hardware store to achieve the gap.  You only need around 3/8" spacing or more and you are home-free.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    ALWAYS fat side up!!   Except fat side down turns out the same!!  It does not matter.  More important is orient the point to the back.  More fat to render there.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    I just did a Fat Up and came out great. I hope to get spacers for christmas (on my list) so I can get a little space between the Stone and Drip Pan.
    I use rocks for spacers.  Work great.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Fat down (kamados) if heat coming from the bottom, fat side up in offset cookers 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I go fat side down, it's easier getting the brisket off the grill (doesn't stick as bad plus I scrap the fat off any way after its cooked)
    You just made me sad.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    For gods sake it does not matter. I have never knowingly cooked a brisket fat side down. I'm always up because that's how I learned. BGE brent is right (for once in his damn life). Put to point toward the back, fat side up or down and have a drink. Jeez.

Stike will give anyone on this forum a BJ or $10,000 cash (but he is running low on cash)  if they can discern between a brisket done fat side up or down
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    For gods sake it does not matter. I have never knowingly cooked a brisket fat side down. I'm always up because that's how I learned. BGE brent is right (for once in his damn life). Put to point toward the back, fat side up or down and have a drink. Jeez.

Stike will give anyone on this forum a BJ or $10,000 cash (but he is running low on cash)  if they can discern between a brisket done fat side up or down
    Much agreed with point toward the back. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited November 2016
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    ALWAYS fat side up!!   Except fat side down turns out the same!!  It does not matter.  More important is orient the point to the back.  More fat to render there.

I agree ^^^.  I've not been able to see a difference on the egg.  

With any other cooker, I think the fat goes between the hottest part of the cooker and the meat.  My stickburner - fat up.  UDS - fat down.  Weber w. slow and seer - fat up.  No shortage of opinions on this subject though.

Phoenix 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited November 2016
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Not to hijack this, but I've wondered fat up or down for slicing?  I've seen Aaron try and jiggle the brisket to find the seam of where to switch from cutting vertically to horizonatally.  Does that mean to cook it fat side down, and slice it fat side up? 
    Good question. That is fat side up to slice. 
  • drgordon
    Options
    I was researching dome temp vs grid temp.  looks like the dome runs hotter.  That being said fat should face the heat.  I'm going fat up and point to the back.  Not looking back.
  • drgordon
    Options
    Thank you gentlemen 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    drgordon said:
    I was researching dome temp vs grid temp.  looks like the dome runs hotter.  That being said fat should face the heat.  I'm going fat up and point to the back.  Not looking back.
    Still overthinking it. It really does not matter which side is up or down. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options

Look for grate marks. Where's my money?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.