Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy Clump

Options

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    The butt buddy alliance? I personally know nothing about the guy or his product other than what I have used has been great. Seems you have something against the guy or are just on a serious ego trip. Either way I think most will agree when someone screws up give them a chance to fix it before you go publicly bashing their name and product. Just think for a second if every person you let down gave up on you... it would be a  lonely focking world would't it? 
    Snellville, GA

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The butt buddy alliance? I personally know nothing about the guy or his product other than what I have used has been great. Seems you have something against the guy or are just on a serious ego trip. Either way I think most will agree when someone screws up give them a chance to fix it before you go publicly bashing their name and product. Just think for a second if every person you let down gave up on you... it would be a  lonely focking world would't it? 
    Dude, it's a rub.  lol
    No ego trip?
    I voiced my opinion, and it stinks, after getting ripped off.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Obviously it's a little more than just a rub if you took the time to take pictures of it in the trash can and post them to a forum. I mean let's be honest if you got a couple broken eggs is a carton would you take pics of them in the trash and post it on the web? No need to answer. All good and your it point is taken. I just hope that you don't write everyone off that makes a mistake. 
    Snellville, GA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Obviously it's a little more than just a rub if you took the time to take pictures of it in the trash can and post them to a forum. I mean let's be honest if you got a couple broken eggs is a carton would you take pics of them in the trash and post it on the web? No need to answer. All good and your it point is taken. I just hope that you don't write everyone off that makes a mistake. 
    This isn't the best analogy...
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    This isn't the best analogy...
    Now that I can completely agree with! 
    Snellville, GA

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I've enjoyed many of @Focker posts (I've been here almost a year) and this is the first negative thing I've read from him. Check his post count. I'd be upset too. it's fair to share 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I've enjoyed many of @Focker posts (I've been here almost a year) and this is the first negative thing I've read from him. Check his post count. I'd be upset too. it's fair to share 
    Thanks @Hans61.  I guess if your opinion doesn't smell like everyone elses, you shouldn't use the facilities. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• clifkincaid
    Options
    I use it all the time. Along with all their rubs. 0 complaints. 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Can a company be perfect, no. However, if @focker style is to bail on a singular bad experience, that is his right to do so. I know I probably wouldn't go through the hassle over a bottle of rub to get a new one sent out or whatever. I'd just toss it. Heck, I ripped center cut Russian lump after one use and posted it. Others still bought it and enjoy it. Really not a big deal. All of the positive posts about Holy Church far outweigh the garbage can shot. My experience with it has been great so far and I will continue to buy it myself. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion, this post reminded me to place an order.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Matt will certainly make it right for you - one order I placed with them they had included the wrong product. I let them know and immediately got a response with the right product being shipped out for free. 

It's your right to post something like this - but I think it's wrong to post without giving the other party a chance to respond first (not sure if you did reach out). Had they ignored you or told you to stuff it, that's one thing. But to out right attack a small business for an error as small as clumping in a rub (which is very common thanks to humidity in TX) is just wrong.  Most likely Matt doesn't know about the error and it's an issue with the co-packer. Companies go through formulation issues all of the time - it's more common then not. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Can a company be perfect, no. However, if @focker style is to bail on a singular bad experience, that is his right to do so. I know I probably wouldn't go through the hassle over a bottle of rub to get a new one sent out or whatever. I'd just toss it. Heck, I ripped center cut Russian lump after one use and posted it. Others still bought it and enjoy it. Really not a big deal. All of the positive posts about Holy Church far outweigh the garbage can shot. My experience with it has been great so far and I will continue to buy it myself. 
    Thanks tiki.
    Not one to store inedible rubs in my pantry. Seems this is the expectation.....to save it, and use it. lol

I throw it in the gutter, won't buy another.  Lesson learned.

And you'll smell my opinion coming if someone asks about the quality of this line. Appears by this thread, I'm not the only one with issues.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Matt will certainly make it right for you - one order I placed with them they had included the wrong product. I let them know and immediately got a response with the right product being shipped out for free. 

It's your right to post something like this - but I think it's wrong to post without giving the other party a chance to respond first (not sure if you did reach out). Had they ignored you or told you to stuff it, that's one thing. But to out right attack a small business for an error as small as clumping in a rub (which is very common thanks to humidity in TX) is just wrong.  Most likely Matt doesn't know about the error and it's an issue with the co-packer. Companies go through formulation issues all of the time - it's more common then not. 
    If it's so common, why hasn't it happened before with the many other brands, in the last 15 years I've been grilling?

Garlic powder does this.  And it's why I only use granulated garlic in recipes.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    First time seeing anything negative about meat church. That sucks man. I'm probably about at the point with my cooking to start mixing home made rubs. 
    I started out making my own. Mostly because my wife lets me get anything I want as long as I don't spend any money on it. It was cheaper to make my own and everyone loves it. Except for that time I had it out sitting on the counter and my son doubled the cayenne pepper in it without telling me. =)

I do have some store bought rubs and did my last butt with Bone Sucking Sauce. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I suspected it had to do with not using anticaking stuff, but wasn't sure. I noticed it caked more than some of the other brands. No big deal to me personally. These days many people don't want any "junk" in their food at all. I like the holy cow rub and all the MC rubs I've used, but my friend Brandon doesn't. Oh well, to each there own. Carry on now. 
  • Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I suspected it had to do with not using anticaking stuff, but wasn't sure. I noticed it caked more than some of the other brands. No big deal to me personally. These days many people don't want any "junk" in their food at all. I like the holy cow rub and all the MC rubs I've used, but my friend Brandon doesn't. Oh well, to each there own. Carry on now. 
    Yes, to each their own.
    Carry on, I have.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    Focker said:
    Yes, to each their own.
    Carry on, I have.

Two of my favorite foods in there with the rub. 1. Eggs 2. Budwieser
  • Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Focker said:
    Yes, to each their own.
    Carry on, I have.

Two of my favorite foods in there with the rub. 1. Eggs 2. Budwieser
    LOL, made egg yolk dough last night for lasagna noodles on a Thanksgiving weekend work around, when we'll celebrate, due to the joys of working holidays at the hospital.

First year as a RN, my patient coded Thanksgiving morning.  We brought him back, won't ever forget it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    I use a lot of MeatChurch Products and sometimes they do get clumpy, but shaking the bottle abit before using it works well for me. I think its a superior product myself especially because they do not use MSG like most other rubs do. I get headaches from MSG and MeatChurch is all natural.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Who knew one bad little bottle of rub could create so much drama?!?!
    It only takes salty person to rub people the wrong way.
  • Focker
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Who knew one bad little bottle of rub could create so much drama?!?!
    It only takes salty person to rub people the wrong way.
    Having to buy a rub accessory, pushed me over the edge.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    @meatchurch quality response!  I do agree with the statement that it is what a business does when a mistake happens that gets people to stay loyal. A business will never be able to make everyone happy, and there are some that are a one and done type of personality. We have to run our businesses on the mass, not the exception, and hope the exceptions are rare and far and few between. 

Meat church appears to be a great company. If there was any change I would make in your shoes, it would be to put some type of disclosure on your bottle about not using the anti clumping agent so there could be some clumping, which would let everyone know it is normal and not a bad or old bottle of rub and actually adds to your marketing of all natural ingredients. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Clumping is not normal, and not desirable, at least to me.  Oakridge doesn't clump.  Plowboys doesn't clump.  DP has never clumped.  My rubs never clump.

Although I appreciate the offer for replacement, it doesn't fix the problem.  The replacement will clump too.  Clearly, this isn't an isolated incident.

And it's not just that guys.  It seems like the ingredients are fighting each other, not wanting to combine.  And flavor wise, something is off.  You can see the variations in grind and uneveness, in my first pic.  Look past the clumps. lol

@Lit can see it on the shelf.  I respect his opinion.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Action_Hank
    Options
    Looks like Friday got here early this week
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • Focker
    Options
    Do I place clumps on the meat, then rub them in?  Is that how you guys do it?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Brandon - thanks for the PSA, I hate it when store bought rubs clump. There are so many available, I seldom try the same one twice, although I may try another rub from the same company - life is too short. If one is not to my liking, I move on to the next brand. 

BTW - Guess you guys do not have to sort your garbage before kicking it to the curb. Damn, I have a green can for kitchen and yardwaste scraps, a blue box for metal cans and bottles and hard plastic, a blue bag for newspapers, a yellow bag for cardboard and other paper products and a regular garbage can. Pretty much have to start on Wednesday to get everything to the curb by Thursday pick-up day.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Brandon - thanks for the PSA, I hate it when store bought rubs clump. There are so many available, I seldom try the same one twice, although I may try another rub from the same company - life is too short. If one is not to my liking, I move on to the next brand. 

BTW - Guess you guys do not have to sort your garbage before kicking it to the curb. Damn, I have a green can for kitchen and yardwaste scraps, a blue box for metal cans and bottles and hard plastic, a blue bag for newspapers, a yellow bag for cardboard and other paper products and a regular garbage can. Pretty much have to start on Wednesday to get everything to the curb by Thursday pick-up day.  
    Thanks much Skiddy,
    Good to know I'm not the only one.  It wasn't a clump here or there.  It was like the entire bottle was two large clumps, one slightly bigger than the other. ;)

I broke it up with a fork before taking that pic.

I'm sure it will change, but East Moline, IL doesn't separate.  I should compost.

We can still burn leaves too.  I'm sure that will come to an end too, at some point.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    Focker said:

Thanks much Skiddy,
    Good to know I'm not the only one.  It wasn't a clump here or there.  It was like the entire bottle was two large clumps, one slightly bigger than the other. ;)

I broke it up with a fork before taking that pic.

I'm sure it will change, but East Moline, IL doesn't separate.  I should compost.

We can still burn leaves too.  I'm sure that will come to an end too, at some point.
    Freakin Hillbilly!