Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt

Options
Orio Kid
Orio Kid Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Trying my first boston butt for pulled pork, using gfw's recipe. Dome temp is at 210. Fingers are crossed.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    orio kid, Uncross those fingers and relax. I tried my first one a few weeks ago. I knew I had a winner when the butt broke apart and the bones fell out when took off the grill.[p]CWM
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    orio kid,....gonna do an all night cook are ya?
    I did one last weekend.......the egg kept a solid 250º effortless.....
    It was outstanding......would have liked a little more bark but the taste sure was there......
    A good butt on the egg will put you on the map as a real Q'r with friends and family.......[p]good luck to you sir!
    Mop!

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    orio kid,[p]Things will go fine, just be patient. You're in for some good eats. How big is the butt? How long are you planning on cooking it? I can darn near smell the smoke from here.[p]Troy
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    orio kid,
    The other posts say it all. Relax. Enjoy a Hot Toddy. My first l-o-n-g cook was fraught with angst. No matter what you do the Egg will give you great stuff. Even if the temp bounces a little. The second and following butts were fun and inspite of some worry they came out just fine!
    Enjoy[p]Carey

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    orio kid, you are in for a great treat! I would try to keep the temp between 225-250 degrees. Pulled Pork is so good. [p]In fact, I think I'll be off to the store in a little while to see if I can find one - my Dr. says less beef, so I think a little "Pulled Pork Black Bean Chili" may be in order. Have a great evening!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    orio kid,[p]All sounds very well with the cook and I echo the comments below. Have a splash of you favorite beverage and trust the Egg to cook the meal. As this is a long cook, rises and falls in cooking temp will have little effect on the end result. Everything can be adjusted for tomorrow morning, so you will need a good nights sleep. If you go to bed with a stable dome temp, you will wake up to a cook that (at the very worst), could use some attention at that time and still will be great. No worries.[p]Spin
  • Orio Kid
    Options
    sprinter,
    5.6 lbs. and as long as it takes!!!!!