Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Florida Stone Crabs

We are in S Naples right now for a few more days. I was thinking of picking up some stone crabs for a treat?  Can you Southerners suggest what I should pick up and best way to enjoy them?  I see them in different sizes, not sure if you should egg them or steam them?  Mustard sauce?  Help a poor Canadian out here, if these were lobsters I know exactly what to do !
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2016
    Brother, you can't go wrong with Stone crabs. In my humble opinion, the bigger the better. They can be prepared anyway imaginable; grilled, baked, boiled, broiled, smoked, steamed etc, etc. The main thing is don't overcook them. Grab you a mess of them and when you are ready to cook them give me a shout. I have more crab recipes than you can shake a stick at. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    I may go to Marco Island right now and pick up a couple of pounds. Looks like it's kind of traditional to steam them and dip them in mustard sauce?  
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Check with the store- most of the time I have seen just claws that are steamed and flash frozen. Check out a mustard sauce recipe for Joes Stone Crab. You are in for a treat- they are awesome. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    GlennM said:
    Looks like it's kind of traditional to steam them and dip them in mustard sauce?  
    Tradition varies from region to region. Down here we treat them just like Blue Crabs. Boiled in a giant pot shrimp in a fiery brew of cayenne and liquid crab boil.
    But again, you really can't go wrong anyway you cook them as long as you don't overcook them.   

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    SGH said:
    Brother, you can't go wrong with Stone crabs. In my humble opinion, the bigger the better. They can be prepared anyway imaginable; grilled, baked, boiled, broiled, smoked, steamed etc, etc. The main thing is don't overcook them. Grab you a mess of them and when you are ready to cook them give me a shout. I have more crab recipes than you can shake a stick at. 
    Gosh, I tremble at disagreeing with the legendary @SGH, for whom I have great respect, but in my opinion, Stone Crab legs (which I've only ever seen sold already cooked) are so perfect, so sumptuously, deliriously luscious just the way they are that I feel like doing ANYTHING with them but dip the meat in a little melted butter is just ruining one of the great eating experiences that this human life can offer.  Man, those things are GOOD, just the way they are!  I'd say don't mess with them!  Little melted butter and that's it.

If you've never had them, and they haven't already been cracked for you, it can be a bit of a trick getting the darn things open.  There's a reason they call them Stone Crabs!  The shells are like rocks, and you do NOT want to get even a tiny little fragment of one in your disposal, so I'd keep them away from the sink that has that in it.  There are special tools to crack them, but something like a small bat works pretty well, a piece of wood maybe an inch and a half or so in diameter, 12-18" long.  Put them on newspapers, and whack them with a good snap and keep doing that until it's clear that you'll be able to get all of the meat out.

While you're still in Naples, have some at a restaurant so you know what they're like before you buy them, and you'll have a better idea of what you're buying.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    GlennM sai

if these were lobsters I know exactly what to do !
    You get a lot of those Speed River lobsters? :)

im jealous. Friends are on Marco for a few weeks and now I'm wondering they they can bring a few back for me. No help here, just jealous. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • You can only buy stone crab claws. It is against the law to take both claws off the crab. One claw is removed and the crab is thrown back to grow another. The claws are then taken to facility that boils the claws. They are then shipped either fresh or flash frozen. Fresh are best. Make sure you ask. Regardless they are all already cooked. Served hot they are usually dipped in melted butter and cold served with mustard sauce. Hope that helps.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • GlennM
    gmac said:
    GlennM sai

if these were lobsters I know exactly what to do !
    You get a lot of those Speed River lobsters? :)

im jealous. Friends are on Marco for a few weeks and now I'm wondering they they can bring a few back for me. No help here, just jealous. 
    This is a fantastic area for seafood. We are having some wild gulf shrimp tonight, the fish store was closed. I will get some stone crab claws tomorrow. Lucky's has them for $15 a lb and I can drink a beer while I shop.  Not real fond of the "speed river" lobsters but my neighbour gets lots of New Brunswick lobsters - much better!

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Stop it. All of you. I missed getting stone crabs while I was in Florida week before last and I'm in denial. It was almost working too.......
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited November 2016
    My Beautiful Wife can flat out eat anyone when it is crab on the table. She would eat that 24/7/365/infiniti. We love the seafood down there, miss it this year. Normally go in December, but this year we are heading to Ireland.
    Have fun, wishing the best for you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    YukonRon said:
    My Beautiful Wife can flat out eat anyone when it is crab on the table. She would eat that 24/7/365/infiniti. We love the seafood down there, miss it this year. Normally go in December, but this year we are heading to Ireland.
    Haggis it is! Sounds like fun. 
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    edited November 2016
    Stonecrabs are already cooked when you purchase them.  They should be served chilled, with mustard sauce or melted butter.  
    If you want to take a little drive, head south from Naples to Everglades City.  There's a fleet of crab boats down there.  You can check out Grimes seafood mkt.
    I've decided to ditch the turkey and serve stonecrabs for Thanksgiving this year.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• BBQBuddy

BilZol said:
    Stop it. All of you. I missed getting stone crabs while I was in Florida week before last and I'm in denial. It was almost working too.......
    You can order them from Key Largo Fisheries and have them delivered to your door in CO.  keylargofisheries.com

• They are already cooked when you buy them. Serve cold or lightly steamed if you like them hot. Ask the market to crack them for you, as Theophan said. Or you can buy a cheap mallet.

Joe's Stone Crab in Miami is famous for their mustard sauce:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/joes-mustard-sauce-235807

Call around and check prices and ask how many per lb.
    I called 6 places near me and the price fluctuated up to $20 per lb.
    I found 4 per lb. (which is considered large) for $19.99 per lb. Buy 1 more lb. than you think you need! The bigger the better!

My thread from last month:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200086/stone-crab-season

Enjoy!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    YukonRon said:
    I'm willing to accept this challenge if I can get my mom to join in. She can fully break down 6-8 crabs in a minute. When she is around, I don't even bother trying to pick them because she'll have the pile cleaned before I'm through 5.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    ive only had them broken off the live crab and steamed right there with melted butter, its more bettah than maine lobster served trap to table =) maybe illegal stone crab just tastes better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BilZol
    BBQBuddy said:

BilZol said:
    You can order them from Key Largo Fisheries and have them delivered to your door in CO.  keylargofisheries.com
    I looked into that. Shipping is expensive, horribly expensive, although I do understand why. We're going back down next year, our schedule will be much less rigid. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Agree with the posters above who discourage anything stronger than butter as a dip.  The meat is heavenly by itself. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • BBQBuddy
    BilZol said:
    BBQBuddy said:

BilZol said:
    I looked into that. Shipping is expensive, horribly expensive, although I do understand why. We're going back down next year, our schedule will be much less rigid. 
    If you happen to have a FEDEX account, you can give them your acct # for shipping and I think it saves a bit...still pricey though.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    YukonRon said:
    I'm willing to accept this challenge if I can get my mom to join in. She can fully break down 6-8 crabs in a minute. When she is around, I don't even bother trying to pick them because she'll have the pile cleaned before I'm through 5.
    She would be tough to beat, I would like to shake her hand if she can. It would be fun. I just need to make sure My Beautiful Wife stays focused.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GlennM
    Two pounds,  just going to hit them now!

• BilZol
    GlennM said:
    Two pounds,  just going to hit them now!

Your killing me. That's looks so delicious. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • GlennM
    They were great, only problem was I lost my focus and turned my chicken into charcoal
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I'm heading to Guelph tomorrow, I will see if I can get a shot of a Speed River lobster. Way tastier than those. Best to just throw them away and come home. :)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • GlennM
    I'll be in Guelph Friday.  Hope you have some luck, but for now I will have to put up with these!
  • PSA. I didn't read ever comment so forgive me if this has already been said. 

It is against the law to sell uncooked stone crab claws. I believe this extends to all dead crabs and crap parts. 

I used to work for a seafood market and delivered our fish heads to the local stone crab catcher guy for bait. I have bought, sold, caught, cooked, eaten lots and lots of stone crabs and the best way I've found to eat them is cold with honey mustard. If they are reddish/orange then they are already cooked. If they are black then they are raw. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GlennM
    That's exactly the way we ate them!  Delicious!
  • BilZol
    GlennM said:
    They were great, only problem was I lost my focus and turned my chicken into charcoal
    Serves you right. I mean, awwww. 

J/K. Still bitter about missing them when we were down there. Showed pic to wife. She teared up. Sucks you charred your chicken. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • You and @Mickey should have a chicken cook off! Or start making your own chicken lump. 
    Snellville, GA

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited November 2016
    Looking good! +1 as many have already stated it's hard to go wrong with melted butter, if it's your first go round with stone crab I wouldn't get crazy with cooking/seasoning, just keep it simple!
    LBGE
    AL