Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket nerves

Options
mwatts
mwatts Posts: 122
I've read all the post. I've done additional research. I am however still nervous. Got this 13.99 pounder ready for tomorrow night.  Got some friends coming over who expect it to be as good my other egg food so it's got me overwhelmed. Any last minute tips or advice for a first time brisket cooker.  am
Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I have still only done one, but I thought smoking it was the easy part. I was more nervous about the trimming and how much I was taking off vs. what should stay and then was a little anxious about when to pull it off. I was very happy with the end result and it was juicy, but it fell apart a little too easily and was slightly overcooked. I believe my mistake was foiling it too quickly for the FTC and it kept cooking in the cooler. Can't wait to do my next one. Even if it's not perfect, I'm sure yours will be good.
    Stillwater, MN
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Sounds like you need to hit step 1 first!
    Step 1: pour a drink or crack a cold one B), I'll let the others chime in on the following steps!
    LBGE
    AL
  • mwatts
    Options
    Wait..... I should wait after I pull it off to FTC? I was thinking straight from egg to foil. 
  • mwatts
    Options
    Step 1 will be an easy, check. 
  • mwatts
    Options
    Step 1: pour a drink or crack a cold one B), I'll let the others chime in on the following steps. 

Is that a Roll Tide? @TideEggHead
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    In all seriousness, If you follow the IT guidelines for pulling and wrapping in tin foil you should be in a good spot at the end of the cook. Pull and wrap at 160 then cook until 200 or so, probe with a fork and if tender pull off the egg and rest! I had pre-game jitters too, but I had to "trust the egg".
    LBGE
    AL
  • mwatts
    Options
    That's going to me my motto when it's go time. 
    "Trust the Egg"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I go to foil or butcher paper around 160F IT. Start checking for done at 190F, as soon as the thickest part in the "non point" probes like butter, I pull let stand for about 15 20 mins loosely wrapped, then paper/foil, towel and cooler. I leave it p/FTC for a few hours prior to serving.
    I also inject, prior to placing on the BGE, and again prior to wrapping at 160F. The mix of the injection is 2 parts beef broth, 1 part garlic juice, 1 part onion juice.
    Hope this helps.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TideEggHead
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yep that's an RTR. It sounds like you have your priorities straight haha. I guess I should mention I've never done that big of a brisket, but don't let it intimidate you! You've got this! Do you have an electronic temp controller?? If so your miles ahead of me. Also, +1 on using the cooler to rest and like @YukonRon I would suggest using a towel then placing in the cooler.
    LBGE
    AL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

calling @lousubcap aka 'brisket coach' or many of the others who have lots of good advice...

watch the franklin BBQ videos re trimming and slicing

basically you'll season generously with salt and pepper, and cook it indirect until it's done.  I cook mine arond 285, and it takes around 45 min/lb.  cook until thickest part of flat is tender.

take it off, let it cool a litle, then FTC.  Slice to order.  do NOT slice and let it sit on a plate for 20 minutes.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You let it rest before FTC so it doesn't continue cooking in the cooler. Let the temp start dropping before going to the cooler. 30 min or so and you'll be fine.  Just cook to feel and you're golden. 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    You let it rest before FTC so it doesn't continue cooking in the cooler. Let the temp start dropping before going to the cooler. 30 min or so and you'll be fine.  Just cook to feel and you're golden. 

I am 99% positive this is what happened to my first try.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @mwatts -  PM sent that should help calm the nerves.  
    And @blind99 -  you have got the true Cliff's Notes (do they even exist today?) version right there.  A great BGE cook for sure.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    A beef pec ain't nothing to sweat!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Step 1: pour a drink or crack a cold one B), I'll let the others chime in on the following steps!
    This is how all recipes should begin.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's just meat. You will be fine. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tikigriller
    Options
    This is how all recipes should begin.
    I can honestly say, I have never cooked anything without a beer in hand...and that includes brunch on the Blackstone

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @lousubcap brisket should be such a simple cook, right?? I hope you have a copy of your instructions that you can copy and paste so when your help is volunteered by jerks like me you don't have recreate the wheel!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @blind99 -  I have a set of things I have learned (on the positive and negative side) that I do copy and paste.  An ever-changing (although getting quite minimal now) work in progress.  There are many other ways to get there.  Brisket camp has run hot and fast for the duration with great success.  And there are very few dumb questions on the forum.  Those that I file into that category are definitely not cook or BGE related.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    Ahh...the first brisket..I could put shoe laces through my first brisket and use it as a sandal...

It had a lot to do with my POS cooker wouldn't hold a good temp, your equipment is much better than what i started with...

My two pennies..

Inject with beef broth, A1, and some Sriracha hot sauce...

I dust mine with 3 parts McCormick Montreal steak and 1 part turbinado sugar.

Let it roll to 160 and wrap it until 190-195..

Let it rest for for no less than 1 hour in a cooler...

For a dipping sauce....

about three cups mayo, 1 can of La Costena chipolte peppers in adobo sauce, 1 cup of apple juice, and a few tablespoons of brown sugar...

Hit that in a blender for about two minutes..

This sauce is hot.....and it gets hotter the next day...its awesome on beef and fish.

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    @theyolksonyou provided great advice. 
  • dh7
    dh7 Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi, you helped me so much the last time I did a brisket but have a question again.  I'm going to smoke brisket at 250... I'm using a FB200...the temp clip is on the grate and it shows 250 but the dome egg therm shows 270.  Which temp should I go by to smoke at 250 or do I attach the FB probe to the green egg probe.  Thanks again.     
    Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i can not seem to time briskets so i cook a no brainer butt in there as well =) thats my only advice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    dh7 said:
    Hi, you helped me so much the last time I did a brisket but have a question again.  I'm going to smoke brisket at 250... I'm using a FB200...the temp clip is on the grate and it shows 250 but the dome egg therm shows 270.  Which temp should I go by to smoke at 250 or do I attach the FB probe to the green egg probe.  Thanks again.     
    @dh7 No difference between 250 and 270 other than 20 degrees..it will have no effect on your finished product...but id stick with the grate temp...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• tikigriller
    Options
    billt01 said:
    dh7 said:
    @dh7 No difference between 250 and 270 other than 20 degrees..it will have no effect on your finished product...but id stick with the grate temp...
    If you want them to match, just clip your temp probe from the FB200 to the temp probe in the egg.  I also feel like this protects the probe more from the heat since it is farther away..even though lo and slo's don't exactly have a heat problem.  Most of the cook books I have seen are based off of the dome temps, and most people here are talking dome temps, but as @billt01 said, the difference between the two is really not a big deal to what your finished product will be and falls into the "thinking too much" and "chasing temps" categories.   I still tend to "think too much", but I have gotten past the "chasing temps" phase of my BGE life!  :lol:

Livermore, California
  • dh7
    dh7 Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks so much guys....

Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl