Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Blaze Aluminum Kamado

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That thing is super cool. The Pro Joe SS Kamado is like $10k. I would buy one of these in a second. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

There may well be some disadvantages, but right now I'm not seeing them.  

I'll take one please.

Phoenix 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blasting said:

There may well be some disadvantages, but right now I'm not seeing them.  

I'll take one please.

If i heard right they say the grid is 20"- kind of between a L and XL. Only downside to that is that there are no accessories that I know of that size. I would take it to @tjv and have him custom build an AR for me (if he would)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ah- does not appear to be insulated. Just 1" thick cast aluminum. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    edited November 2016
    Options
    They've had a couple videos out for about a year one where they try to blow that up and blow up a ceramic kamado. Another video shows them pushing a ceramic kamado and their aluminum kamado off a loading dock. Both show the expected results.

There's at least one other all metal kamado out there, the Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker - zhttp://www.goldenscastironcooker.com/
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bigbadben
    Options
    I think caliper also sells a SS double shell insulated Kamado.  

Back to the blaze, read through the instruction manual. They say it has to be stored in a covered location. Rain will damage the bare aluminum. 

Aluminum melts at 1221 F. Lump burns at about twice that. I am curious how a clean burn would go in the blaze. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    They've had a couple videos out for about a year one where they try to blow that up and blow up a ceramic kamado. Another video shows them pushing a ceramic kamado and their aluminum kamado off a loading dock. Both show the expected results.

There's at least one other all metal kamado out there, the Golden's Cast Iron Cooker - zhttp://www.goldenscastironcooker.com/
    KJ has one too but it's spendy. 100% Stainless insulated. I think it's $10,000 with the table. $8,000 standalone

• HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

There's at least one other all metal kamado out there, the Golden's Cast Iron Cooker - zhttp://www.goldenscastironcooker.com/
    KJ has one too but it's spendy. 100% Stainless insulated. I think it's $10,000 with the table. $8,000 standalone

I didn't mention the Pro Joe because you already had in the first comment in this thread.

Also, last I heard the Pro Joe is no longer in production. Whatever is being sold now is old stock. Just like someone who buys a now extinct black Kamado Joe ceramic model which they quit making a year or so ago.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Little Steven
    Options
    That thing is super cool. The Pro Joe SS Kamado is like $10k. I would buy one of these in a second. 

Agree. I need one bad.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

I didn't mention the Pro Joe because you already had in the first comment in this thread.

Also, last I heard the Pro Joe is no longer in production. Whatever is being sold now is old stock. Just like someone who buys a now extinct black Kamado Joe ceramic model which they quit making a year or so ago.

The Pro Joe is/was light stainless with double wall and insulation in the middle in any case. This puppy is cast. Bet the outside gets hot.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    HeavyG said:

There's at least one other all metal kamado out there, the Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker - zhttp://www.goldenscastironcooker.com/
    I know a guy who was on the original development team for the Goldens Foundry CI cooker---haven't seen one in action though.  Plus it's pretty expensive too
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

The Pro Joe is/was light stainless with double wall and insulation in the middle in any case. This puppy is cast. Bet the outside gets hot.
    I'm familiar with the construction of both.

I'd bet the surface of the Blaze does get pretty hot. On the other hand, that thick all aluminum shell is also going to radiate heat pretty quickly so maybe it doesn't really get much hotter than an Egg.

They definitely need to make a video showing how long a bare hand can stay placed against that dome during a 700° cook. :)

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    rmr62 said:
    HeavyG said:

I know a guy who was on the original development team for the Goldens Foundry CI cooker---haven't seen one in action though.  Plus it's pretty expensive too
    The Golden cast iron is about the same price as the BGE XL, untill you start adding the cart.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Aluminum has a melting point of 1221 degrees, seems achievable....
    Jacksonville FL
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I bet that's one heavy sum beech!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,259
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As exemplified by the video, this is perfect for those among us who feel compelled to beat their Kamados with a hammer.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Aluminum has a melting point of 1221 degrees, seems achievable....

I'm wondering if that's why the top appears fixed with limited airflow.  It may not capable of hitting close to 1221.
    Phoenix 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

I'd bet the surface of the Blaze does get pretty hot. On the other hand, that thick all aluminum shell is also going to radiate heat pretty quickly so maybe it doesn't really get much hotter than an Egg.

They definitely need to make a video showing how long a bare hand can stay placed against that dome during a 700° cook. :)
    How long do you hold your hand on the BGE dome at 700? Mine gets too hot.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

How long do you hold your hand on the BGE dome at 700? Mine gets too hot.
    Very true, but even an accidental touch on a Weber Kettle or stick burner fire box and you are melting skin and getting blisters. At least a ceramic you are just say ouch...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just confirmed it's solid aluminum- no insulation or air gap. 

My interest just went to zero.

• Photo Egg
    Options

Why would you have even though otherwise?

"
    Blaze Cast Aluminum Kamado

BLAZE introduces the industry’s first indestructible kamado grill made from 1" and thicker, solid cast aluminum."

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

"

BLAZE introduces the industry’s first indestructible kamado grill made from 1" and thicker, solid cast aluminum."

I just had it in my head that it was like the new $2000 weber summit or something. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I just had it in my head that it was like the new $2000 weber summit or something. 
    this and the cast iron one are strange strategies to me - they're trying to compete by being more durable than the ceramics, but ignore the benefits of the ceramics, so it's just a big trade-off instead of improvement on one dimension and break even on others.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

"

I wonder what kind of burn time it will get on a load of lump?
    Seems like it would still be much better than a standard Weber Kettle or stick burner. How much better is the ceramics on a BGE or KJ compared to solid cast aluminum or cast iron?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    There is a similar looking one called caliber that is insulated for around $2400 (with stand and tables).

http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Caliber-Pro-Kamado-Grill-On-Stainless-Steel-Cart-With-Wood-Inserts-Stainl_item_2881486.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HeavyG
    Options
    Legume said:
    this and the cast iron one are strange strategies to me - they're trying to compete by being more durable than the ceramics, but ignore the benefits of the ceramics, so it's just a big trade-off instead of improvement on one dimension and break even on others.
    Ceramics aren't great insulators. Ceramic kamados are able to hold steady temps mainly because the mass of all that material helps lessen temp swings.

The Blaze and Goldens both have a lot of mass. Sure they'll get hotter to the touch and likely won't be as fuel efficient but so what? They will both be able to hold steady temps over a long period of time. With the Blaze and Goldens there is no worry about cracking fireboxes, etc.

The lesser fuel efficiency might be a problem if one is wanting to run a cook for 12, 16, 18 hours. Dunno, I haven't heard enough about either of those two too see how they compare in that regard.

• bigbadben
    Options
    There is a similar looking one called caliber that is insulated for around $2400 (with stand and tables).

http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Caliber-Pro-Kamado-Grill-On-Stainless-Steel-Cart-With-Wood-Inserts-Stainl_item_2881486.html

I am pretty sure the caliber is a double walled insulated cooker made out of SS. 

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

If it radiates heat, it will use more lump
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    wait, is this true?  ceramic is not a good insulator?  not much better than aluminum?  I have to admit, I am totally confused by this, but that's ok, it happens pretty often

if I started my own full metal kamado company, I would make a portable one, with a detachable lid that nested upside down in the base so you can jam it under a truck lid, or in RV storage, or one that had some really good insulation sandwiched in it and was lightweight.  but I'm lazy and won't be starting a kamado company.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I really like the ad slogan. "Just That Tough." 1st thing I think of when I want to cook something. After all, if I have a brisket goin', and a force 4 tornado comes thru the back yard, I want to be sure dinner will be ready on time.

Somebody has wa-a-a-y too much spare aluminum on hand.