Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade cookin' info

Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy brother & sister EGGers,I'd like to get some input from you folks if you have the time.As some of you know,I have a friend who is a BGE dealer here on Lake Martin,Al. Several people who have bought EGGs are not on the internet,therefore don't have ready access to all the good info thats avil. to us on the forum.The manual doesn't help much as has been mentioned numerous times,matter of fact a few people who purchased EGGs hardly use them because they think its too hard to control.I have thought of making up a simple folder containing a few basic recipes,brining info,maybe a drawing or two on direct & indirect grill setup,then emphasize the need to get online and access the REAL Eggsperts.Do you think this would help?Do any of you have any ideas to add.All info would come off forum or Egg sites and credit given to whoever info was stolen from:~).I don't want to compete with any manual(present or future) Just a few pages to help future Eggers get a good first simple easy cook.THNX...Bob

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Bamabob, The saleman I bought mine from didn't do much smoking or cooking on the EGG. The owner of the dealship did but didn't have the time to tend to each EGG customer (long story). Anyway, I have been taking pictures and inserting the recipe and methods for everything I've been cooking. I've got about 15-20 recipes that came from this forum. I've simplified some for first time users. E-mail me and give me a couple weeks and I'll send you copies. It is not a cookbook by any means just a good way to get started. I've supplied the salesman with one so he could show off what a EGGER can accomplish on a first try. [p]CWM
  • Bamabob, this is a good question and I have been having similar thoughts recently. Maybe its time we put up a downloadable FAQ section for just such reasons. That way dealers and friends could print the FAQ whenever they needed and just hand it to folks. Alternatively, folks might just print the right sections from GFW's and TimM's websites.

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Bamabob,
    Download the recipes and tips you feel are quite revelent and give them to your local dealer to make copies and distribute them to the BGE (non internet) purchasers. You could provide him with supplements from time to time. This should resolve the situation and have them enjoy their BGE purchase that much more.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Bamabob, please feel free to take any information on my site - however, if I were the BGE dealer I would do a little creative marketing - a computer and a printer in my BGE showroom linked to the Internet, the forum and specific related web sites like mine and TimMs. [p]Customers (or prospective customers) could stop as needed, browse, download/print recipes and/or buy additional needed supplies like charcoal and eggsesories. [p]Just my thoughts :-}[p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • Gfw,
    I've suggested a lot of the same tactics to my dealer. They just fall on deaf ears! I even suggested Saturday cooks with different Eggers around him.(three good ones live within a stone's throw of his shop!) Again, it fell on deaf ears! I think that is why Sprinter is having trouble getting a mid-west "Egg-fest" going! Just my opinion though![p]Dr. Chicken

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Dr. Chicken,
    I made the same offer to an EGG dealer in Huntsville, AL and was informed that he had someone that has been cooking on a BGE for 2 months that needed no help from the outside. I mentioned that I have been cooking on an EGG since 1978 and his reply was that his person has more experience and was a better cook than I was. God love him.

• JJ,
    I have to agree with you! More power to him![p]Dr. Chicken

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    JJ, the day I need no help with anything is the day they plant me 6 feet under. Heck, I'd even show up to listen to that dude that's only been doing it for 2 months.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Bamabob, I think it's great idea. Start with some basics about controlling temperature and then through a series of first cooks: steaks, chicken, ribs. You might also include some table plans, some projects like the turbo-grate, some discussion of thermometers - polders, instant reads, temp-forks etc. I bet in 20 pages you could really develop a great starter book.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Exactly JJ,
    When I came up with the idea of a mid-atlantic fest, several folks were interested. But had in not been for Cat and Tim pushing my idea to James, of Seasonal Distributors, it might have just been a big egg party in a park. They really set it up nice, and pulled off a doozy last year I have a feeling this year will be even better.[p]I say gang up on em if you have too. There should be eggfests everywhere in the country!! [p]Maybe Sprinter, or another of the mid-westerners could try and track down a distributor in there area, and bug the hell out of 'em??

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Bamabob,(from me)
    Many thanks to all you folks answering my post,great ideas,I'll pass them on.It always amazes me that businesses don't take advantage of every idea that comes along to help grow business,especially FREE ideas.I'm glad that my friend is open to every hair brain idea that I come up with.He uses his EGG and takes time to help his customers,I have more time to visit forum,so I keep him updated on all the good stuff you folks pass down.He keeps a good supply of all Eggsessories,tried to get a bunch of Remote Checks to have on hand,but they got gone from Amazon to quickly.If they come back he'll get um.I had him get a variety of Obie mixes,Bonesuckin' sauce,HiMountain jerky cure,also after Charcrust.We're after about anything good that regular groc.stores don't carry.Any good stuff you try,post it.
    We've cooked wings a couple of Sat.s this winter,will do more when weather gets warmer,nothing like something hot off EGG to make believers out of grill shopper.Don't want to take up anymore recipe space so I'll go.Will keep you posted how info packet turns out. Bob