Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Grill wok" or regular wok?

Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is kind of a follow-up to my previous post. Earlier I was thinking that I would get the sort of "grill wok" that isn't really a wok, but more of a grill basket. I like the idea of being able to flip veggies and such around in it.[p]In that thread, someone mentioned using a regular wok down on their coals. So that led me to wonder: Am I better off getting one of these "grill woks" or should I just get the regular kind? Is there much of an advantage of one over the other? It would seem that the grill type would allow for more smoke flavor, but the regular kind would give you the opportunity to stir-fry.[p]What do the folks here use/prefer?[p]Thanks!
Mike

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Eggtuary,
    I have a couple of both kinds and I like the stainless steel grill wok with holes the best.
    Larry

• Eggtuary,
    get both. .. you won't be sorry. .. i use my gill wok(basket type) when i have small foods that might otherwise slip through the grids but i want them "grilled"...like sliced mushrooms and onions and peppers. . .and baby shrimp, etc. .. ..[p]i also use my regular wok a lot, when i want to 'stir fry' stuff in oil in the traditional manner but want a little smoke flavor (and yes, you will get some smoke even with traditional stir fry by simply closing the dome for a few minutes while its cooking). ...i use my regular wok for things like sechuan or sesame string beans, making potatoe/beef hash, and i've been using it a lot lately in conjunction with my bamboo steamer baskets to steam fish (great stuff!) . .. .[p]sooooo, get both :-)

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    the wok with the holes is great for vegetables, cut up beef, chicken pieces & seafood - allowing for smoke penetration. The regular wok is available with the std round bottom (needing a fire ring, to keep it level on the grid) or a flat bottomed wok you can place on the grid directly. I use the flat bottomed wok for making chili, bruswick stew or spagetti bolognese etc..

each utensil has it's own uses
  • Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    mad max beyond eggdome, quick question, the bamboo basket steaming do you do this on the egg or a side gas blower?[p]Joe

• Steeler Fan,
    gas. . ..GAS????. . ..how dare you. . .LOL[p]nope, set up the wok cold with liquid (lately a combination of sherry and soy sauce). . .put fish in steamer baskets, then steamer baskets into wok, then whole contraption into the egg at 425 dome temp. ..(i soak the steamer basket in water first just to insure it doesn't burn). ...works great. ..i have had some great successes with both sea bass and salmon. ...