Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody want to share their pizza dough recipes using 00 flour?

2»

Comments

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Just finished one tonight.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• RRP said:
    all I'm finding on their site is the one using 55 pounds of flour. I was leaning toward a more modest 1 pizza recipe. 
    Hope you are Hungary. Don't think the xx will hold it though. :o
    Took a lot of work, Budapest pizza I ever had.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited November 2016
    My suggestion . . . only use 50% caputo 00 flour, and 50% King Arthur BREAD FLOUR . . cook at around 700F.  Perfect combo of strength, crew, crunch.  When I first bought caputo a few years back . . I was thining 00 flour "could do no wrong" but it is all about matching temp w/ flour.  Unless your blasting at 900F . . the combo of 00 & Bread Four is BY FAR our favorite with repeatable results. 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • @RRP: Those look great!

Venturing into the land of 00 for the first time this weekend. Any tips anyone can offer would be much appreciated!
  • Ron,

Aurora Importing, the la Bomba guys have pizza flour. It's a mix of 50% and 50% plain. They sell the 00 as well so I concur with the previous poster.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    @RRP: Those look great!

Venturing into the land of 00 for the first time this weekend. Any tips anyone can offer would be much appreciated!
    Press your dough reasonably thin and don't overdo it on the toppings.  Let the stone get hot.  Have fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Ron,
    I'm not a pizza expert by any means, but I have found these websites interesting:
    http://www.pmq.com/
    http://www.pizzatoday.com/

• Check out Pizza Making Forum, 00 flour is just the start and 900F 60 second cooks. Results are very different
  • Ron , I have used the 00 with the Forno Bravo recipe given earlier. Cookrd around 600 F for about 6 minutes, spun 180 degrees half way through with excellent results. Some were loaded pretty heavily. Always sterted on parchment paper which I removed a minute or so in. Good Luck !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    NDG said:
    My suggestion . . . only use 50% caputo 00 flour, and 50% King Arthur BREAD FLOUR . . cook at around 700F.  Perfect combo of strength, crew, crunch.  When I first bought caputo a few years back . . I was thining 00 flour "could do no wrong" but it is all about matching temp w/ flour.  Unless your blasting at 900F . . the combo of 00 & Bread Four is BY FAR our favorite with repeatable results. 

Interesting comment!  Never thought to mix the 2 flours.  I've switched to full 00 flour, which is great for heat, but lacks the chew of my previous, lower temp recipe. 

@NDG, care to share your full dough recipe?  Would be keen to learn!
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Braggart said:
    @NDG, care to share your full dough recipe?  Would be keen to learn!
    You'll need @NDG's Blackstone oven as well. You won't get his results on an egg. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited November 2016
    Thanks @Braggart . . the blackstone helps a lot . . but this recipe is best around 700F . . so you could use on BGE, but I found it very hard to get consistant results, esp if making 4+ pizzas at one time.  Also you lack a little top char, as the blackstone does a good job blasting the top.

This might sound like too much work (or unrealistic if you dont have sourdough culture), but as requested, I have pasted the steps below and formula attached.  I suggest you jump on www.pizzmakingforum.com and search for others, SOOO much to learn on that site.  I got this from an awesome guy on the forum named mitch.

24 hour SourDough Pizza  Attached is printout of the preferment dough calculator.  If you want to do something different, then just type the numbers back into the preferment calculator and then change it to your way.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/preferment-calculator.html

This recipe uses sourdough starter as only yeast, and requires bulk ferment and ball ferment at 62 degrees . . so to hold at 62, put in full size cooler with a large frozen water bottle on the side, or use a wine fridge that can hold 62.

But, you need to WATCH the dough.  If, tomorrow,  it looks too ready too soon, put it in the fridge to slow it down a bit.  If it looks too slow, then take it out and put at room temperature.  SD dough is slow to react so it is more likely you will under-correct than over-correct.

You will see that I used 16% SD, as 15% matches up with 62 degrees at 25 hours.  So, for 24, I used 16%. 

Mixing in a stand mixer.  I usually use a method based on Jeff Varasono’ directions (you can google this).

Mix the water, salt and SD starter together in the mixing bowl.  You can hand mix with a spoon or with the dough hook in your hand.   After it is mixed up, add about 75% of the flour.  Mix it in with the dough hook by hand.  Much more effective and fast than trying to use the mixer for this.

When the flour is all hydrated (ugly looking wet dough), then let it rest, covered, for 10 minutes.  Start the mixer up on a pretty slow speed (“1” on my KA mixer) and let it go for about 5 minutes.  Starting at 5 minutes start gradually spooning in the rest of the flour so you are done before 8 minutes.  Let the mixer keep going until 10 minutes is up.

By now it should look like a nice pretty smooth ball of dough with the sides all clearing the bowl.  If it does not look like that will happen at around 8 minutes, speed it up a bit.  This is not a big deal so don’t worry about being too fixated on it.

Take the dough out on to a lightly floured counter and hand knead it a bit and you should end up with a very nice, smooth dough.

Put it in a covered, oiled bowl until tomorrow AM, placed in cooler w/ froz. H20 water bottle @ 62 degree

In the morning, divide the dough out into individual portions of around 256grams each.  Ball them up into smooth, tight balls and put in individual covered containers (clear so you can see amount of fermentation going on aka bubble size).  I shoot a spritz of PAM in each container before putting the dough ball in.  Super small amount of oil and make the dough plop right out later!

Put the containers in the cooler w/ frozen h20, until about 2 hours before the bake.  But, WATCH them!  You want many small bubbles, and cook before large bubbles that can be popped form. 

Flour:
    I like using a mix of 30% Caputo (not counting the starter) and 70% AP or Bread Flour.  This will make a softer, less chewy dough.  I actual often mix about 1/3 of each.  This is just tweaking. 

The final dough has about 871 grams of flour.  So, if 2/3 is KABF, you need around 581 grams (20.5 ounces). 

The 30% Caputo will help make sure that the pie does not burn and char too much at the high temperatures (700) you will be baking.  Too much Caputo is not great for such “low” temperatures.  The exact percent does not matter.  For example 50/50 should be OK.  But, this is what I like.

Dough opening:
    The dough should behave very nicely and open up pretty easily into 12 inch rounds.  If anything, it may be more extensible than you are used to so you need to be careful it does not open too much.

Turn each container upside down in a bowl of flour.  The dough ball will plop into the flour.  Flip the dough ball over 2 or 3 times to nicely coat it with flour.  That should be enough flour so that you will need little to no more when opening the dough on your counter.

I (QUICKLY) dress them with sauce, cheese, toppings, etc. with the opened dough placed on a wooden floured peel.  I flour the peel with a 50/50 mix of rice flour and semolina.  The rice flour is terrific at avoiding sticking and not tasting burnt.

I use about 3 1/2 ounces of cheese per pie.  Go lighter, not heavier, on the toppings.  This is a thin relatively delicate dough.

Baking:
    I love my pies baked in the low 700s.  They should take somewhere between 2:15 and 3:30 depending on how your Blackstone or BGE behaves.  Doing this, instead of 800+ Neapolitan temps, will give you the crispier, chewier pie with the topping more done like a NY pie and less “fresh/raw” than a Neapolitan pie.

EAT!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”