Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hero Street Enchiladas

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
Was getting ready to turn in last night, and this 25 min film came on the local public TV channel.
https://youtu.be/nDoyVxiXkU0

Stopped by the library, picked up Bayless' Mexican Everyday after seeing a red chile chicken enchilada recipe that had potential.  Respect Rick, from the Shy.  His culinary skill, love and respect for the Mexican culture is palpable.  He can get full blown APL at times, but he is building flavors, and fire roasts over charcoal often.  Saw an egg recently on one of his Mexico, One Plate At A Time episodes.

This book's recipes have "riffs", where he takes different spins, shortcuts.  I did one today, using the Vitamix and his recipe as a starting point.

Went to my favorite tortilla shop, Tony's, to pick up some fresh corn tortillas.  They make them on Mondays and Thursdays, and were warm in the bag.  Chips are fried on Fridays.  It's best to refrigerate the tortillas the following day, if they last.

Here are a few pics along Hero Street.

The smell of corn up here at the Grotto is awesome.  Tony's is the brown building in the center.  Nothing fancy, but they definitely know what they're doing.

Stopped by La Monarca Supermercado on the way home to grab everything else.

Brought 2C of chicken stock in the freezer to a boil, added 4 toasted dried anchos (seeds, stem removed, cleaned up to rehydrate in hot CS), fire roasted red peppers and tomaters, chipotle in adobo, 2 T toasted and ground hatch for color, 4 cloves garlic, cumin, white pepper, sugar, salt, and 2 T of El Yucateca black label.  Black, smokey, tang.  Perfect for this.

Let it rip, brought to a simmer, then shut it down.

Had some drunkin' butt leftover from the other night.

Assembled them up, heating the tortillas with a small amount of ghee in the Wags, 6 each batch into the towel.

Chihuahua, pork, sauce, roll.

Into the CI Emeril 5 in 1, and onto a 400 egg, indirect for 20 min or so.

Queso, crema, and cilantro are a must.  So good.

Thanks fer lookin'.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Red chile cheese enchiladas were my "gateway drug" when I was stationed in Albuquerque.  
    I've not tried ghee to soften the tortillas, that sounds great!  I usually use bacon grease anymore, have used "pure" lard and vegetable oil.  I no longer roll mine, I stack them and prevent burned fingers (yeah, here's my man-card  :D ).  I use powdered red chile for my sauce, along with cumin, oregano, salt, and flour/minced onion in oil for thickening.  
    I also prefer mine "vegetarian", just jack or a Mexican cheese, cilantro, and possibly a drizzle of sour cream on the finished stack.  Made these two weeks ago, in fact.
    Great pics, bet they were delicious!  :triumph:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    So farkin righteous dude! Awesome awesome cook.  I'd eat all of it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Damn.  I would eat a whole pan of those. (but less than Cali)
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Great looking enchiladas! Never considered that a menu item on the egg, I learn something everyday on this forum!
    LBGE
    AL
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Enchiladas are one of my favorite treats for leftovers, but mine never look that good. Great work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Legit! ✊

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Good post and good lookin enchiladas....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Focker
    Options
    Sincere thanks to all.  They were devoured.  

Botch said:
    Red chile cheese enchiladas were my "gateway drug" when I was stationed in Albuquerque.  
    I've not tried ghee to soften the tortillas, that sounds great!  I usually use bacon grease anymore, have used "pure" lard and vegetable oil.  I no longer roll mine, I stack them and prevent burned fingers (yeah, here's my man-card  :D ).  I use powdered red chile for my sauce, along with cumin, oregano, salt, and flour/minced onion in oil for thickening.  
    I also prefer mine "vegetarian", just jack or a Mexican cheese, cilantro, and possibly a drizzle of sour cream on the finished stack.  Made these two weeks ago, in fact.
    Thanks, this sounds interesting @Botch, like a Mexican lasagna.  Is this done in a pan like lasagna, or a single stack if you will, like pancakes?  Does the corn get mushy?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thank you, my first Murray, and fitting.  BFM would be proud, that butt was getting smoked during game 7.  Felt like I was getting courted, everybody bought my drinks, shots, free Dom, didn't pay for uber.  As a Card fan, didn't open my wallet the entire time...on purpose.  hahahaha
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Focker said:
    Botch said:
    Thanks, this sounds interesting @Botch, like a Mexican lasagna.  Is this done in a pan like lasagna, or a single stack if you will, like pancakes?  Does the corn get mushy?
    I do it in a glass dish, only to keep the cheese from running out onto the oven floor; I normally use a large spatula to move the stack to my plate.
    It cooks just as fast as rolled enchiladas, so the texture is essentially the same.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Focker
    Options
    Botch said:
    Focker said:
    Botch said:
    I do it in a glass dish, only to keep the cheese from running out onto the oven floor; I normally use a large spatula to move the stack to my plate.
    It cooks just as fast as rolled enchiladas, so the texture is essentially the same.  
    Thanks, may have to try the layering next batch.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Missed this post. Damn dude. Way to rock it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Just saw this post as well. Nice cook @focker
    Love pork enchiladas
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset