Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Starter cubes.....

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone got a good place on-line to order starter cubes at a fair price. The Egg store went out of business in my little hometown so I have no place to buy them any longer.[p]Thanks,
HJ

Comments

• ronbeauxronbeaux Posts: 988
    Hugh Jass,
    Does your Grocery store carry the "fire starter" logs? If so then pinch some off and use them. They are cheap and they work.

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Hugh Jass,[p]Consider a MAPP gas torch. Once purchased it is very economical to use. Flick the switch, point at the charcoal, and count to 20. Done that easy.[p]If you do this starting method make sure the control has a regulator in it so you can turn the torch upside down with no problems with the fire.[p]Spin
  • Spin, how can I tell if it has a regulator? If it does'nt say so on the box I am afraide that the people at the big blue box won't know either. Thanks.
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Zee,[p]The best way is try it. You will need to buy a MAPP gas cylinder (same size as a small propane cylinder) at the same time. Open the boxes and crank the control on top of the cylinder and give it a start, then turn it upside down while it is still on. If the flame remains the same it has a regulator. If the flame blows out, it doesn't. Most controls have a regulator now a days.[p]Spin
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    Spin,
    I think you wanted to say 20 seconds at three or four spaced intervals around the bed of charcoal. Hot as heck aroud the Baltimore area today,time to do some crabbing.Have a good weekend.

• Hugh Jass,[p]I love the Weber cubes and use them with all my cookers and also to even start my charcoal chimneys. They are getting very hard to find at a good price and most of my sources have dried up so when you do find them, order enough to last you for a while. I just looked and still have a couple of cases so I am good for another year. I have purchased them for as little as 1.49 per box to about 2.49 as this is what I paid for my last five cases. [p]Dave[p]54MVC-026E.jpg

• Hugh Jass,
    I use a starter cube, or piece of a starter log and blast it with my small propane torch. I got the propane torch for $10 at Home Depot. It works great for me. I have had no problems starting the cube. And the propabe is cheap, just regular cigarette lighter propane.