Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chiles rellenos, arrachera, rice and frijoles

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
  1.  Made this last night. Pics not so good.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'll take 2 plates over here, please. SWMBO will have to get her own.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks delicious!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Nice job all around. Great looking food.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    You may be to far north to be cooking south of the border food....which part went wrong? Beef looks good...
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looking great!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    That looks great!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Steven....tell me more about the rellenos. I am a big fan in Mex / Tex Mex reasturants. never made them....and also love the planllano pepper. Help a brother out with some more details. I will give them a shot. Thanks for posting.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Little Steven
    Options

It's my favourite Mexican dish. These were more traditional than what I normally do, stuffed with queso fresco and Monterrey jack and then battered and fried, but you can stuff them with anything. I like them with pork or beef. You just burn the skins and pot them in a paper bag for like ten minutes. The skins come off really easily. Then slit the chilis and pull out the seeds. Stuff, batter and fry. I don't always batter them either. These were poblanos.

This is close to the batter I used:

6 Fresh Ancho, Pasilla or Anaheim Chiles - or - 27 oz. can Poblano Peppers or Mild Whole Green Chiles
    1/2 pound Oaxaca cheese, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup Flour
    6 Raw eggs (separated)
    2 cups salsa verde
    2 cups Homestyle Mexican Salsa
    1 cup Corn oil
    Salt or Mexican Seasoning

Recipe Instructions:

1. Rinse the chiles.
    2. Preheat your oven to broil.
    3. Place the chiles in a 9 x 14 baking dish and place on the top shelf of your oven.
    4. Watch and listen closely. When the skins start to make popping sounds and to char and turn black in places, take the chiles out and flip them over. Be sure and use a potholder so you don't burn your hands!
    5. When both sides are fairly evenly charred, remove them from the oven.
    6. Wrap each chile in a moist paper towel or place in a sealed plastic bag to steam.
    7. After a few minutes, check them. Once the skin comes off easily, peel each chile.
    8. Cut a slit almost the full length of each chile. Make a small t across the top, by the stem. Pull out fibers and seeds (this is where the heat is) and replace with a slice of cheese. You can set these aside, for a few minutes or a few hours if you put them in the refrigerator.
    9. Whip the egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer, until stiff peaks have formed.
    10. Heat the oil in a skillet until a drop of water sizzles when dropped into the pan.
    11. Beat the egg yolks with one tablespoon flour and salt. Mix the yolks into egg whites and stir until you have a thick paste.
    12. Roll the chiles in 1/4 cup flour and dip each one in the egg batter. Coat evenly. Fry, seam side down on both sides until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain.
    13. Meanwhile, heat the salsa in a medium saucepan (either one or some of each). Place one or two Rellenos on each plate and pour salsa over them. Serve them immediately and brace yourself for major compliments!

HOW TO MAKE CHILES RELLENOS VIDEO BY Jauja Cocina Mexicana

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    This looks Awesome!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     Brother Little, there's a lot of long words in that title. Nonetheless, the grub looks great. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks good to me. Rellenos are delicious - even if they are a bit tedious to assemble. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    that looks on par with anything our local Mexican joints make, and I mean that as a high compliment. Very nice!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Beautiful 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @Little Steven thanks....looking forward to trying this soon.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Little Steven
    Options
    @Little Steven thanks....looking forward to trying this soon.
    Cheers,

The steak was flap marinated in garlic, cumin, lime juice, salt, chili powder and olive oil. About four hours maximum.

Steve 

Caledon, ON