Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

to brine or not to brine a turkey

We're doing our Thanksgiving turkey on the Big Green Egg,  Haven't done this before.  There are so many differing opinions on the brining process we don't know which is the most recommended.  Have brined a turkey before.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I did a dry brine last year and let it air dry in the fridge 2 days. If you have the space in your fridge I highly recommend. Was fantastic...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    +1 Brine
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • +1 Brine

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    I spatchcock and brine, try to avoid a injected bird if you brine.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    I've never brined a turkey. I've had turkey from friends who have brined and I haven't noticed that they're any more moist (but perhaps they overcooked them). And chicken comes off the BGE so moist, I'm hoping I won't need to brine it. 

I always do the family turkey for Christmas then drive it round to the in-laws, while it rests in the back of the car! This year I'm doing it on the BGE and I was holding out for all the Thanksgiving threads for advice. Anyone have a favourite cooking method?

I normally stuff flavoured butter under the skin and cover the crown with bacon to keep more moisture in. 

Here's last year's turkey (done in an oven though)
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I'm also in the brine camp 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Don't brine, sous vide!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I like to brine.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I just watched this, its on my list to try for next turkey.  Good channel overall.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOBEHWFPiY

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    My favorite is a John Ash brine recipe that I let soak 3 to 5 days. It instills subtle flavors. Contrary to others here I have also brined injected birds with satisfactory results.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    If it's a butterball or previously injected bird don't brine. If it's a natural - brine season smoke..do some $h1t to make the skin bite through 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    RRP said:
    My favorite is a John Ash brine recipe that I let soak 3 to 5 days. It instills subtle flavors. Contrary to others here I have also brined injected birds with satisfactory results.
    I went and looked this up. This sounds interesting to try. What does it mean though when it says "bruised"?

3 whole heads garlic, cloves separated and bruised
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Brine
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    TheToast said:
    I've never brined a turkey. I've had turkey from friends who have brined and I haven't noticed that they're any more moist (but perhaps they overcooked them). And chicken comes off the BGE so moist, I'm hoping I won't need to brine it. 

I always do the family turkey for Christmas then drive it round to the in-laws, while it rests in the back of the car! This year I'm doing it on the BGE and I was holding out for all the Thanksgiving threads for advice. Anyone have a favourite cooking method?

I normally stuff flavoured butter under the skin and cover the crown with bacon to keep more moisture in. 

Here's last year's turkey (done in an oven though)
    there used to be a recipe on this forum called turkey buzzard, you grind up the bacon with a little onion and sage and slip that up under the skin. was some work but i liked the results
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i dont brine, never really seen much difference. i do cook kosher birds when i find them that were dry rubbed with salt after slaughter, that does seem to make a difference
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    RRP said:
    I went and looked this up. This sounds interesting to try. What does it mean though when it says "bruised"?

3 whole heads garlic, cloves separated and bruised
    bruised means to whack each clove hard, but leaving each in one piece.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Highly recommend brining although I've only cooked brined birds in an oven. Each time people declare it the best bird they've ever eaten. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    Link to my Stumps "How to cook a turkey"

I used to sell these when my business was open..I still have requests several years later..

It takes time, but the results are great...

http://www.stumpssmokersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1645

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    I always brine
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    This will be my first year for turkey on the BGE. That said, I've done them on my Weber the last 30 years and usually brine them. I use a simple brine with 50/50 Kosher Salt and Brown Sugar for several hours. When I pull it out I don't rinse, but rather let it dry and get sticky. I apply Penzeys Northwoods Seasoning as a rub to the exterior and stuff with a mixture of wild rice, morel mushroom, onions, celery, and pecan pieces. I slow roast it until the temps are right, basting it occasionally with the juices that are produced. Since I use a pan I have juice to make gravy too. Never not yummy.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    edited November 2016
    i dont brine, never really seen much difference. i do cook kosher birds when i find them that were dry rubbed with salt after slaughter, that does seem to make a difference
    I've dry rubbed with salt too. It works well. For me it works best on chicken breasts. It makes the skin as crisp as a potato chip
    Michiana, South of the border.