Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New, (First), BGE... Large or XL?

Options
I'm about to buy my first BGE.  I have a large offset smoker that can easily hold 25 turkeys.  The problem is that smoking one rack of ribs takes as much effort and tending as 100 racks.  I want something easier to cook just for the two of us... thus the BGE.

Looking at the grate diameters, the Large is 18.25".  The XL is 24".  I measured a couple racks of baby backs I have in the freezer, and they're about 20" long.  I think a rack of beef ribs is about the same.  So the XL seems like a safer choice... not to hold a lot of food, but to be sure 1 or 2 racks of ribs will easily fit.

What is y'alls experience and advice?
Is there a real big difference in cooking on a L vs XL?
Does an XL use significantly more chunk for the same temp/time vs a Large?
Are accessories significantly more limited or harder to find?
Are there disadvantages to an XL that I should consider?

BTW, I just found and started reading this forum about a week ago when I decided to seriously consider a BGE.  I have read a lot, but have A LOT more to read.  I enjoy y'alls sense of humor, and appreciate your experience.  I expect to hang around and steal as much as possible.  I say "steal", because I fully intend to take credit from the wife for every good idea I find here.  Thanks!
Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have an XL and it does a good job for our family(2adults and a 7yo girl).  I like be able to fit 3 racks of ribs on it if need, or tossing on a second level and getting a total of 6 racks.   There are many on here who have tons of experience with multiple size eggs and can better guide you than I.  But from my experience the XL seemed the best option if I'm only going to have 1 of these style of cookers.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Get a large , especially if you cook for two the majority of the time. You can always add a adjustable rig to increase capacity, not to mention the benefits of cooking raised . I cook for two most of the time on my large. An XL is just overkill and inefficient. 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• txhawkeye
    Options
    For two I would go with the large. It sounds like you have a cooker with capacity if needed. 
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    txhawkeye said:
    For two I would go with the large. It sounds like you have a cooker with capacity if needed. 

Thanks.  Do you and @ColtsFan have any problem w/ a rack of baby backs being too long to fit on a Large?  Do you ever have to cut the end a little to fit?

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I asked the very same question on the forum 4 years ago. The overwhelming response was "get the XL". I'm very happy I heeded their advise. After 4 years I am still very happy with my XL.

I cook on larges occasionally at eggfests and have cooked on friend's larges and experienced some minor differences, but no real advantages or disadvantages as far a cooking.

I'm sure the XL burns more lump than a large, but not an lot more 

I haven't had any difficulty finding accessories and other ways to spend money

The only downside is, I have had 3 bases on my XL crack (I don't live in a extreme climate or do anything unusual on my egg). All were replaced very quickly under warranty. But I have seen reports of similar issues with the XL.

I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you decide to buy. And please don't hesitate to post any other questions or concerns. This is a great group of folks who are happy to help answer any questions. And please feel free to take credit with the wife. We're willing to do our part in advancing domestic bliss (you may need it after she sees all the accessories piling up)

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @herbu - given you run with a large off-set and are used to cooking real-estate I would go with the XL.  Never have heard anyone wish for less.  The reports are that lump consumption is not an issue, and compared to an off-set, this thing is truly a fire and forget once you take the time on the front-end.
    Can't comment on accessories but all you need is a way to run indirect (heat shield between the lump and target meat) and a way to raise the grid although that may not be as much of an issue with the XL.  
    And very perceptive with my (First) as many here end up with another BGE so that you have two totally different cooking methods running at once.  FWIW-
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Definitely a different animal.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    XL
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I have a large. This is two racks. 
    If you can afford it, go with XL. I have found though, that having two would seem more beneficial than one for different temps, etc, so a large and a Medium or small to go with it would be my ideal set up, however, I am new and not very good at being creative with my space on the large.   

Do I wish I had a XL, yes, but I wish I had two eggs more. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    If I would have started with an XL I wouldn't have ended up with two L's,.........and an XL,.....
    I'm glad I got an L first. 
    If I had to do it over again I believe it would be an XL. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

My XL has been going strong for over 21 hours on the same batch of Royal Oak lump.
    Cooked the first 3 hours with wings and a steak between 325-350. Went low all night at 250 and bumped it up to a little over 300 for the last 6 hours. Have about an hour to go and will still have lump left.
    I'm using a Kick Ash Bucket and it does limit the amount of lump it will hold but it still holds enough for all my cooks.
    The XL was my first Egg but I now have a Large and Small. I seldom use my Large.
    I like the grill space of the XL. I think you will as well. The small amount of xtra lump it uses does not bother me.
    Welcome to the forum...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Normally I'd say the XL but you already have the capacity to cook large amounts. 

Seriously consider a Medium. It's a great cooker. Heats up fast, practically makes lump it's so efficient. It's just two of us here and the medium carries the lion's share of the load. I rarely fire up the XL anymore. I burn a significant amount less lump now versus when I just had the XL to the point that I'd say the medium pays for itself in 2-3 years.

Everybody here that has a medium loves them.  
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    I have a large. This is two racks. 
    Thanks man.  That's exactly what I wondered.  You really need to cut the racks in half to fit them on a Large.  Would be the same for a brisket, and maybe a whole ribeye roast.  I'm not quite so lazy that it would be a problem... but close.  And I'd hate to cut some things, like the ribeye.

Thanks to all for your perspectives!

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Yeah I typically have to cut ribs in half for my large.  For a brisket I have to drape it over something like an inverted V-rack. 

Here is a pick of 4 racks on the large in a rib rack.  2 racks in the middle curved outward plus 4 half racks.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    The xl is great for big standing ribeye roasts!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I don't think you will regret any size you pick. Here's 6 racks of ribs on a large, no trimming:

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • CamadoCeg
    Options
    I'd recommend the XL.

I have both sizes and I almost never use the 18".

I use a Vortex type metal ring in the XL for small cooks so I am using less lump than ever.

I also love having the extra width. I start the fire on one side and have lots o real estate to get food away from the fire to smoke or prevent direct heat.

IMHO - The best set up would be and XL and maybe a Small/MiniMax for high temp searing.

Ceg
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Buy the biggest you can afford is my answer.
    Great info here.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • prtsman133
    Options
    I have a XL, Large and a Mini Max. It is only the wife and I. The MM gets all the steak work and the XL gets the rest. The only time I fire up the large is if I am cooking Brisket or Butts for family and friends, Then I 10-12 butts at a time. Or 3 briskets. The XL was the last one I got but I would get rid of the other 2 before it.   Just my 2 cents worth.

1 XL Big Green Egg with the adjustable rig, One Mini Max and 1 Kamado Joe Classic.

Luttrell TN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @herbu - regarding brisket, With the LBGE I drape the packer over about a 2"x2" foiled fire brick til shrinkage takes over and it can lie flat.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I use my large way more than my XL. Just my 2cnts
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I had a large and switched to an XL. I just didn't like the 18 grid size. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
     The large is a cooking machine and since you have another cooker for large capacity it should fit the bill perfectly for you. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    I would choose the xl as long as finances would allow. Doing 4 chops and able to put a 12" cast iron pan below to preheat the pan for a seer. I might be out of the norm but I will use the xl to cook a single steak. I like the fact that I can do one steak or cook 20lbs of chicken wings on the same grill with the raised cooking level. If you buy the xl, look at the bge brand raised grate. Only cost $60 with cooking grate included and I love it. Just my opinion. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Go XL or go home ;)  You can always do smaller, but you can't do those "medium size" cooks (relative to your offset) on a smaller Egg.  I have been known to light my XL (using left-over lump) for a single hot dog!!!
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I bought the large due to a great deal...but IMO...

better have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..

I have yet to hear one of my friends go out and say, " You know what, I wish I had less land."

more real estate is better 

I would love to sell my L and get an XL..just don't know if I could sell my fiduciary advisory on the plan... 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    CoMoBGE said:
    I would choose the xl as long as finances would allow. Doing 4 chops and able to put a 12" cast iron pan below to preheat the pan for a seer. I might be out of the norm but I will use the xl to cook a single steak. I like the fact that I can do one steak or cook 20lbs of chicken wings on the same grill with the raised cooking level. If you buy the xl, look at the bge brand raised grate. Only cost $60 with cooking grate included and I love it. Just my opinion. 
    I do this same set up when doing a recourse sear on a steak.  I take it this is the XL raised grate BGE sells.  My ring didn't hold up so I just added SS blots, washers and nuts to it.  By using the CI skillet it make it easier to switch out.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @herbu, I see from another one of your post you went with the XL, great choice and enjoy the cooks.  I bought an XL to replace an old gas grill and I wanted something that could cook a lot food,  but still could just be a few burgers.  

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Are you concerned about the amount of lump you'd go through?  Since you have the big smoker already for large jobs, it seems that most daily cooks and smokes could be handled on the large with a lot less charcoal being used.  It may not be an issue for you and I know there are kits to confine your lump into smaller piles.

I have a large, if I had to get another (and price wasn't an issue) I guess I'd get an XL, but I also like the look of a MiniMax for simple two person cooks.    When I originally got it I thought the small size of the L grate would be limiting (compared to the large gasser I was coming from) but I find it works well for just about all my cooks.  I can always add another level when I need more real estate.

You win either way, though.  Have fun.  Oh, and I've never cut baby back rib slabs in half.  You can lay two flat side by side or do multiples stacked in a V rack, or with multiple grate levels.
    LBGE/Maryland