Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breadmakers [sourdough]

Options
wobin
wobin Posts: 211
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found this neat site where you can get some 200 year old starter for a stamped self addressed envelope. Search around the site, good photos and recipes.[p]http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    CountryFrenchLoaves1_DSCF08951407.jpg
    <p />wobin,[p] I've been using and refreshing this one for over two years and like it best of the few I had tried earlier. They send you an envelope and easy instructions to get going. Can't go far wrong to at least give it a try.[p]Tom B (EggSport)[p]

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    did you get the started from the above source? that bread looks divine. Penny

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    penfresh,
    Don't know if he did or not, but hey, it's only 39 cents. My envelope is in the mail. I grew up on sourdough so I'll report back in about a month or so.

• Unknown
    Options
    penfresh,[p] Sorry ... late getting back ... yes, I tried several commercial sourdough starters and then the Oregon Trail offer. I actually still have 1/2 of it in the freezer. Local wild yeasts have surely changed it over time, but I get a very 'healthy' (7 to 10 days) refresh. I usually keep almost 2 lbs in my container in the fridge .... I segregate 1 lb starter, add 8 oz (50%) water, mix thoroughly ... then add 8 oz (50%) bread or high protein flour. That gets stirred thoroughly and back into the container for 4 hours (near 80*F) ... then back into fridge. Even when I travel or get busy (lazy) it refreshes nicely after 4 weeks. [p]BTW, the remaining starter gets refreshed at a different ratio (water/flour) a T of gray salt, feeds for 4 hours, into fridge, and makes an excellent pizza dough.[p]You can Google Thom Leonard to find out more about his baking, but I use his Country French formula and cook these two loaves at least once per month. An outstanding text is 'Artisan Baking Acros America' by Maggie Glezer. Thom's formula and pics are in there along with his Calamata olive version ...... YUM![p]Regards,
    Tom B EggSport)